New to A10, and a few questions

MustanGrande

Hello, all! I just picked up A10C, and I'm LOVING it so far! I've never seen such a beautiful and in-depth sim.

That said, I have a few questions, primarily regarding laser-guided bombs.

First, I can bomb unguarded targets just fine, but against those protected by AAA or SAMs, my bombs tend to fly wide. I'm thinking that maneuvering to exit the hot zone is throwing off my laser spot. (maybe losing LOS from the TGP?) Is this likely the case?

Secondly, if the TGP is locked onto a moving target, such as the lead tank in a column, will the GBU-12 effectively track the moving laser spot and destroy the target?

I'd appreciate any input more experienced players could provide. Thanks!

First, I can bomb unguarded targets just fine, but against those protected by AAA or SAMs, my bombs tend to fly wide. I'm thinking that maneuvering to exit the hot zone is throwing off my laser spot. (maybe losing LOS from the TGP?) Is this likely the case?

Make sure your laser latch is set to "on". In the TGP screen, there is an OSB that says "Crtl" i think on the top left, click that, then click latch off so it turns to latch on. Now, once you press the laser button, it stays on. This way, you can effectively guide your GBU to target, but you must have your laser on target the entire time. Alternatively, you could set up an auto-lase time in the DSMS for your GBUs, that will automatically lase the target, but you still need it pointed to the target and not masked the entire time after release.

Secondly, if the TGP is locked onto a moving target, such as the lead tank in a column, will the GBU-12 effectively track the moving laser spot and destroy the target?

Yes, you can do this, but you will need the laser latch to on, press the laser on button, and track your target until impact. If you have many people in your game, you will also need to set up a custom laser code so your bomb doesnt go to someone else's target whom hes lasing, and vise versa.

Just keep practicing. When I first started, I spend the entire first week learning how to start, take off, maneuvers, land, and shutdown. The next week I started on weapons, and once you have it learned, its addictive. I am always learning more and more about the CDU though. Maybe someday I will be good :P Happy flying!

Edited by ttaylor0024

also, go in high if there's aaa. like > 12k

I was going in low and getting shot up a lot with the smerch hunt mission for instance. now it's easy.

I use ccrp for the targets that are protected by aaa/sam and go in high (you want to change setting of the cbu bombs to "nose" so they fall w/o drag chute)

I save the mavs for sam/aaa targets.

Targeting from higher up is a bit more accurate too, try to set spi in area mode and as close to the base of the vehicle/target as possible.

Nerd setup:

Asrock P67 pro 3| 8GB DDR3 | Intel i5 2500K @ 4,3 ghz | Asus GTX 780 oc 3gb| 2x OCZ VERTEX 4 128gb SSD 1x 150 gb hdd 1x 320 gb hdd | track ir 5 & track clip pro | Thrustmaster Warthog | Thrustmaster MFD pack | ASUS 22 inch | ACER 19 inch (mfd's) | Saitek flight pedals (tip: do NOT buy ati cards for DCS A-10C)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Additionally to the things stated above, monitor your TGP for a flashing L at the bottom. If it doesn't flash anymore and a M right to the L appears, your TGP and laser is masked and cannot provide an illumination of the target.

I'd also recommend to have a look at Paulrkiii's Air Defense Guide. There you have all the information about the AAA/SAM threats ingame and their maximum range/altitude. If you stay above that altitude, you don't need to take any evasive maneuvers and you can keep the TGP at the target all the time to impact.

Then there's the possibility to use JDAM against stationary targets. If you're engaging a SA-15 for example, you can simply drop it when the SAM is about to fire and it will find its way to the target itself using GPS, while you get out of the egress area.

Engaging SAMs isn't a really big problem, as long as you know what you're engaging and how far its weapons can reach^^.

thank you very much for all the input, and especially for the excellent training guide! My GBUs were set to auto-lase for 10 seconds, so I don't think latching on was the problem. (Bomb view showed plenty of "bang-bang" guidance) JDAMs worked fine, so I can only assume that I was masking the targets.

On another note, does anyone know what will make the plane "reject" autopilot activation, where the button does nothing?

....On another note, does anyone know what will make the plane "reject" autopilot activation, where the button does nothing?

Depends on which mode you're in. LAAP will not engage in following modes -

PATH - if bank/pitch angle is greater than 10-degrees.

ALT/HGD - if bank/pitch angle is greater than 10-degrees.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

On another note, does anyone know what will make the plane "reject" autopilot activation, where the button does nothing?

Being outside the permitted pitch or roll angle limitations for AP activation.

Edit: Good lord Viper, you are really stealin my mojo. :chair::D

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

am I correct in thinking that engaging Alt Hold while in a bank will cause the plane to maintain that bank?

Yes. Here is a synopsis of that switch from the Flight Manual.

3. Autopilot Select Switch. Located along the right side of the panel is a three position switch that allows you to select the active autopilot mode. These autopilot modes form the Low Altitude Autopilot (LAAP) system. The three selections are:

PATH (top position). This mode will attempt to keep the aircraft on its current flight path, represented by the total velocity vector symbol on the HUD. This mode will not engage with a bank angle greater than 10-degrees.

ALT/HDG (middle position). This mode will attempt to maintain the barometric altitude and heading of the aircraft when the mode was activated. This mode will not engage with a bank angle greater than 10-degrees.

ALT (down position). When this mode is engaged, the autopilot will attempt to maintain current bank angle and barometric altitude.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thank you very much. And am I correct in thinking that engaging Alt Hold while in a bank will cause the plane to maintain that bank? (this is mentioned several times in tutorials, when people put their planes into holding orbits)

Engaging 'ALT' mode will cause the LAAP to attempt to maintain current bank angle and barometric altitude.

**Norrised**

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

**Norrised**

Rather well I think!!:P

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Thanks again. I'm going to try that first Instant Action mission again and apply what you guys have said. Much appreciated!

EDIT: Thanks for all the advice. My first mission was a complete success! (Making use of the wingman helped as well)

Edited by MustanGrande

EDIT: Thanks for all the advice. My first mission was a complete success! (Making use of the wingman helped as well)

First time (Instant action mission) I was a bit confused as well: Am I supposed to kill 'em all? I don't have enough ammo? What is this? Then I noticed that I have a wingman (with lotsa ordnance). :megalol: