[FIXED]Repair tool deletes hard drive content if using custom downloads folder

It seems to me something went wrong with the Updater upate from 10th of July.

After running the repair and accepting to delete all leftover files, the updater parsed the whole hard drive and deleted everything, including the parallel install of the stable version and other folders not even associated with DCS.

Crowbar Inc.: "We deliver pain."

After running the repair and accepting to delete all leftover files, the updater parsed the whole hard drive and deleted everything, including the parallel install of the stable version and other folders not even associated with DCS.

I didn't experience any issues with that update, but will make a backup copy of my DCS drive, just in case, thanks for the warning.

Usually I would check the autoupdate_log.txt file (located on the DCS folder) to get more clues as to what happened .. but I assume that in this case that file was lost among the rest, isnt it?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• ED Team

Hi all

I am seeing strange things when I test it on my open beta, I have reported to the team.

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

This is truly odd behavior,

If possible, dont write anything to the drive and use the new Windows File Recovery Tool (Free on Windows Store), to see if it can recover data before its overwritten.

if possible recover all dcs auto updater logs.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Shut down the affected drive immediately while you sort your options, there could be other things in background trying to write to it.

If it's a partition and you need other partitions on the same disk, go to Computer Management - Disk Management, select the one that was deleted and right click "Change Drive Letter and Paths" and "Remove". But you can do the same if it's a whole HDD, as long as it's not writtable.

And this means IMMEDIATELY!

Once you get rid of any background programs or anything that could write anything to that partition sorted out, install the recovery tools suggested, or also PhotoRec (part of TestDisk)

PhotorecQ.exe for GUI version of the program.

Only assign the letter to your HDD or partition prior to now, but make sure you select another letter unlike before, some letter you never used before is best.

Then start up Photorec and select to scan all extensions (should be default?) and you'll see from there ... check out tutorials for more details.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Okay, I ... I don't think I'm going to ever touch that Repair tool ever again. I can't, I've got pictures of family, of vacations, and home videos from VHS...I can't risk all that by using a DCS tool, what the heck!

Okay, I ... I don't think I'm going to ever touch that Repair tool ever again. I can't, I've got pictures of family, of vacations, and home videos from VHS...I can't risk all that by using a DCS tool, what the heck!

Back that stuff up now, before you need it! Hard drives can (and will eventually) fail.

... , I've got pictures of family, of vacations, and home videos from VHS...I can't risk all that by using a DCS tool, what the heck!

You are risking them already if you don't have a backup copy.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Has it been looked at already?

I suppose we will get more infos tomorrow, when this has reached the dev team.

For me, it sounds somewhat implausible and I think it could be a coincidence.

Yet, I've seen some things...so maybe OP is unto something here...

Good luck!

~Bogey

=MoAu= Mors Audente - The Bold Death Squadron

'Hey Jeff, the plane feels a little off today...'

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'The crew probably messed with it again, just trim it and we will check when we get back'

Yes, this is a big deal if true, but rule number one of computing. Back up your stuff, for love of God, if those files have meaning for you. There is no excuse for not backing up your important data.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

what was your install directory path ? D:\DCS ?

There is no information coming in to this discussion about a potentially disastrous bug that could wipe hard drives.

ED is preferring to update the reddit thread instead.

• ED Team

We have someone working on it, he thinks the download folder was set to the root of the drive but the user, but regardless, he is working on making sure it doesn't happen, and we hope to see a new updater shortly. Thanks guys.

Note, if you chose to remove files, the updater does tell you what files it is removing, and if you want to remove or keep, please make sure you review this every time, even after a fix, its a good practice.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team

This is an awful incident. I am very sorry!

This can only happen if you had your custom download folder set to the root of your disk.

I added a restriction that only empty folders can be set as a download_dir, but unfortunately this onle applies to new settings. I guess I've should reset the existing settings.

I am working on a fix to deliver it ASAP.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

• ED Translators
You are risking them already if you don't have a backup copy.

THIS

there are two types of people in this world: those who do backups, and those who don't :(

Any precious photos or work related documents I have locked at custom NAS with RAID 1 they are not even at my PC at all.

AKA LazzySeal

THIS

there are two types of people in this world: those who do backups, and those who don't :(

Any precious photos or work related documents I have locked at custom NAS with RAID 1 they are not even at my PC at all.

Back in my sys admin days I worked supporting HP servers. You would not believe the amount of companies that actually did NOT have a good backup plan.

RAID0 for OS and apps,

RAID5 for data, backup only once a week and then expect the RAID0 to magically get rebuilt when it fails.

THIS

Out of topic, a raid 1 nas holding your pictures is not a backup - it is the same situation than having them on your HDD. In the best case both raid members are not failing at the same time...

Gesendet von meinem MI 8 mit Tapatalk

you would think ED might see fit to put something on their main page to warn people about it.

Nobody reads the web site just for fun. Personally I visit it only after making a purchase in Steam in order to refresh the license list. (And if people really did visit it, we'd be seeing tons of complaints from the countless VR users because the embedded Vimeo player nags the user for WebVR permissions even when there is no VR content on the page).

Given the severity of the potential problems

There's something called a risk assesment matrix. While the consequences are currently major, the likelihood is close to zero. The user will have to intentionally modify default settings, change them to a specific value and not read what a popup says. I'd classify the overall impact as rather low.

Next openbeta should be out in a few days so basically everyone who runs the installer and repair utility manually will get the fix on Wednesday at latest.

I think given the amount of messing around people do with files to get even decent FPS out of DCS, they should put a warning up, regardless in 20years of gaming i've never once heard of any game or game related software doing this.

I think given the amount of messing around people do with files to get even decent FPS out of DCS, they should put a warning up, regardless in 20years of gaming i've never once heard of any game or game related software doing this.

Well, there was Myth II.

And, in a sense, EVE Trinity. :D

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧