The AMPCD - current brightness and readability

nickos86

Hi,

Current AMPCD is very bright. It makes it hard to read the the screen without doing one of two things:

1. Remove the MAP overlay and going back to black screen - it's pity

2. Manually changing the code of the AMPCD_init.lua link in the thread below:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=222680&page=4

Problem with this solution is the code check when flying on online servers...

So, First of all - can you make the GAIN and CONT buttons to work? Maybe it will help with the issue?

Or - change the the default settings of the AMPCD so it will become less bright (it's like a neon right now) and more readable.

Thanks.

Attached pic of current status versus the A-10 (done great) and the real F/A-18 AMPCD as captured by the pilot

1.JPG.88a1b4d57472f2cf553093293daff394.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.9bfa57840b13d18f723cdf6376301dab.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.f433119ec44b4f7107bc19a3c5fe039d.JPG

Let me start saying that I would love to see the AMPCD with the MAP on better, for sure, so any tweak or improvement will be very welcome from my end.

That said and regarding the proofs you show:

-I think the biggest factor that makes the A10C AMPCD much more readable is the fact alone that all font contrast against a black background, making it so much easy for the eye.

-The picture of the AMPCD as seen from the pilot perspective does not clarify anything, since we can't read there to compare, a"better picture" is needed if we want to make use of it as a benchmark.

-I`ve read somewhere; FTTOMH it was in this very same forum, that RL hornet pilot did remove the moving map in many occasions due to these readability problems we experience. Maybe its another bad design principle of the us navy, along with their poor HOTAS design when compared to their USAF homonyms, who knows...

Let me start saying that I would love to see the AMPCD with the MAP on better, for sure, so any tweak or improvement will be very welcome from my end.

That said and regarding the proofs you show:

-I think the biggest factor that makes the A10C AMPCD much more readable is the fact alone that all font contrast against a black background, making it so much easy for the eye.

-The picture of the AMPCD as seen from the pilot perspective does not clarify anything, since we can't read there to compare, a"better picture" is needed if we want to make use of it as a benchmark.

-I`ve read somewhere; FTTOMH it was in this very same forum, that RL hornet pilot did remove the moving map in many occasions due to these readability problems we experience. Maybe its another bad design principle of the us navy, along with their poor HOTAS design when compared to their USAF homonyms, who knows...

It isnt a USN thing but a McDonnell Douglas( or currently Boeing) thing with how they designed their hotas.

The F15E strike eagle's HOTAS is literally F18 stick with a Throttle similar to whats found A10C/F15 but with some slightly different buttons.

switching between MFD pages, A/G, Nav related stuff requires hands off like the Hornet. Only the Radar page is a bit easier to use, as how A2A formatting is very similar to the AS eagles.

Super Hornets up until present, even with upcoming block 3 advanced super hornet still have the exact same hotas as the legacy Hornet. I guess Boeing never felt an improvement was necessary.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

First of all, we do miss a lot of HOTAS functions. Granted, we'll still need to use the OSBs for a lot of things, but it should be better once we have all of the HOTAS functions implemented.

Secondly, I completely agree with the OP. It'd be nice to not have to rely on personal workarounds. I personally use the lua edit for SP and disable the map in MP. I remember watching an interview with a Hornet pilot, saying that they've come to rely on the Moving Map so much, that some pilots would consider aborting the mission if the system failed (maybe it's a stretch, but I remember seeing it). I also remember a pilot saying that one of the first things they did once systems were up and running, is to decrease the brightness of the moving map, to make the HSI more readable.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

+1 Good post!

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

• 1 month later...
I always disable the map because of the poor contrast to the green lines. It's a pity...

:thumbup: Me too, for the same reason.

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

I always disable the map because of the poor contrast to the green lines. It's a pity...

+1

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I just found out that the "IPD" setting within VR actually has nothing to do with IPD - but rather the world scale.... Not sure how those could be confused - or misrepresented - obviously every person will have a different preference - but I set it at 52 currently, and while it took a touch of getting used to for the difference in size of aircraft cockpit - the DDIs and AMPCD are now crystal clear for me (or much closer to what is experienced when viewing on a monitor at least).

Might be worth a try for some who are having issues with clarity of the screens. While the AMPCD is much better after this adjustment - I personally still turn the brightness down.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria