FLIR NEW SYMBOLOGY BUG

med-taha

HI,

First i want to thank ED for this great work. Keep it Up guys.

while trying the new Flir features. i saw that Attitude Indicator/AoA indicator/ASL/Steering Cue looks like the ones on the a-10C DCS TGP PAGE.

In real Life i don't think it's the right symbology . ( it's like the one on the radar page)

Thanks.

-----------

new REF

VMFA-242 OPS over FALLUJAH in 2004 (our hornet is around 2005), you can sweep the video to see the external ladoaut. they were carrying Litening!

----FLIR PAGE

---- LITENING POD

1096376703_DCS2020-05-2018-45-34.thumb.png.53a6f52c871202f88635b4ff9954bd03.png

IRL.thumb.png.42121c64c10a366c395c71eb0f8c89f2.png

Edited by med-taha

Not sure about that! But maybe while using the A-10C DCS TGP code , things got mixed up! It happens sometimes. long time ago the f18 radar had some f-16 symbology but they fixed it later

Edited by med-taha

Not sure about that! But maybe while using the A-10C DCS TGP code , things got mixed up! It happens sometimes. long time ago the f18 radar had some f-16 symbology but they fixed it later

But it's not exactly the same as the A10's. It's deliberate. Looks weird. Would love to see the real world reference for this.

I don't want to say it, but it looks like ED has made it up.

I don't want to say it, but it looks like ED has made it up.

It would take more effort to invent something than to copy the way it works in real life, that makes no sense.

ED are literally the experts in creating accurate flight simulators, maybe give them the benefit of the doubt before immediately jumping to the conclusion that they're making shit up? FFS.

It would take more effort to invent something than to copy the way it works in real life, that makes no sense.

ED are literally the experts in creating accurate flight simulators, maybe give them the benefit of the doubt before immediately jumping to the conclusion that they're making shit up? FFS.

I’m open to them sharing the RL reference for this. It just doesn’t match any other marine litening I’ve seen. Oh and no need to get angry, FFS.

why there is no output of coordinates on TGP ??

This option should exist, but why it is not yet implemented? I don't know!

Many other options are still missing like compass , hud / hmd laser firing status - laser inhibit cue both in the Flir page and HUD...

Let’s hope ... maybe the 3rd of june...

Oh and no need to get angry, FFS.

Sorry, maybe I've been spending too much time on Hoggit, I'm a bit touchy to the crowd that thinks that because they've spent 10 minutes on Google Image Search they know more about a subject than the people who make flight sims for a living.

There's a difference between:

"This looks different than I was expecting, why is that?"

and

"This looks different than I was expecting, you must be wrong."

I know its bit OT but when you cage your tpod it cages/uncages the hud, the tpod goes to 180 lookint at the fuselage, is that how it should work? the tpod display is selected ofc.

Edited by Furiz

This option should exist, but why it is not yet implemented? I don't know!

Many other options are still missing like compass , hud / hmd laser firing status - laser inhibit cue both in the Flir page and HUD...

Let’s hope ... maybe the 3rd of june...

Yeah those things are needed, if we want an accurate FLIR page and HUD. They’ve never been mentioned by ED, and the items in the list for 3rd June don’t include them. Why - don’t know? The additional HUD symbology in particular stands out as a big omission.

The attitude indicator looks weird, I agree, but it matches the one found in the sources. Perhaps an earlier Litening or MC software than the one in the videos, I don't know.

Which sources? Sorry but I have to ask, they should be in the public domain shouldn’t they? Isn’t that a condition of what ED models? I’d be interested in seeing them if you can provide link, because the Hornet we’re gradually getting doesn’t match well with the other open source stuff out there.

Another thing to consider is that the OP's reference image appears to be ATFLIR, not LITENING.

just to be sure :

VMFA-242 OPS over FALLUJAH in 2004 (our hornet is around 2005), you can sweep the video to see the external ladoaut. they were carrying Litening!

----FLIR PAGE

---- LITENING POD

In this video we can see also LASER INHIBIT CUE , COMPASS, COORDINATES DISPLAY...2004

Edited by med-taha

Another thing to note is that in all the FLIR footage you can find online, throughout the years, there is always RTCL on the top row and SETUP on the bottom right, along with a VVI/horizon similar to that in our attack radar. Contrast that to our having RTCL on the right, some weird VVI thing, GRAY instead of SETUP.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

HI,

First i want to thank ED for this great work. Keep it Up guys.

while trying the new Flir features. i saw that Attitude Indicator/AoA indicator/ASL/Steering Cue looks like the ones on the a-10C DCS TGP PAGE.

In real Life i don't think it's the right symbology . ( it's like the one on the radar page)

Thanks.

-----------

new REF

----FLIR PAGE

---- LITENING POD

Hi,

Just I found this video on YouTube.

Spanish F/A-18 M+:

Best regards,

falconbr

Great find, that's some pretty crisp footage. Also interesting to see that in the first video, at 2:13, you can see the time in the HUD has a 'Z' indication instead of 'EI.' I wonder if that was a software conversion. Not trying to say ours needs to be changed, just something interesting to see.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

This is likely to do with the information that ED can use vs what is theoretically available. Perhaps for some reasons they decided to model functionality after the export version of the Hornet to avoid some nasty guests and questions. There's not much we can do about it.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Hi,

Just I found this video on YouTube.

Spanish F/A-18 M+:

Best regards,

falconbr

Many thanks for the footage. That’s a good find. So OK, it’s real, that’s somethings at least. It differs from the USMC implementation for sure. My guess is that since Marine hornets have software loaded for both Litening and ATFLIR (I believe), the interfaces are designed to have some common functionality between the two. Where the basic export pod functionality is what we have now. Very nice for Spanish skin fans......

Hopefully we’ll see ATFLIR later on.

It’s weird that ED was very adamant about what lot of US Navy hornet they were making and what they were not making (foreign hornets with ils for example). Now it seems we’re getting listening pods with foreign export symbology. It’s an odd choice if that’s true.

Looks like that’s the case. I imagine finding the correct documentation is the issue. We’ve now got a Spanish pod on a Marine jet with a nice Navy carrier to fly it off. Not the best for immersion.