Small F16 VR Cockpit

JeDa

Hi,

Let me first introduce myself. I am from Europe, the Netherlands, so English is not my native language. I do make mistakes. I have some experience in home cockpits. This is my Cessna based cockpit.

Unfortunately I had to move and in my new house there’s not enough space for a full cockpit. So I demolished the cockpit.

But now I will start building a new cockpit. Because I dont have a lot of room, it has to be very small. Or it has to be possible to easily store and move it. Also, it will be a VR cockpit.

So my design requirements are:

- F16 cockpit

- Small, when stored it should be less than 0.5 square meter (about 3 foot by one foot). The complete cockpit including rudder pedals, vr-headset, computer, etc should fit in this space

- VR, so looks are not that important, alltough it must look nice

- Easy to move and transport. From stored to fully operational within maximum 5 minutes

- Fully functional, first version only working throttle, stick, rudder, mfd’s, icp and some switches such as the gear, brake and other

- Dimensions as close as possible tot he real cockpit

Compromises

- It seems to be impossible to fit a chair within this small space. So for now I will have to use a regular desk chair.

- 1:1 scale is also not possible so it will be a bit smaller

What do you think? Will this be possible?

Anything is possible mate, you need to think about how much time you are prepared to design and build something like that.

its a bit of an open question to be honest, more like how long is a piece of string.

if you do start the project open a build thread im sure there are many that would benefit from your idea.

good luck! :)

Anything is possible mate, you need to think about how much time you are prepared to design and build something like that.

its a bit of an open question to be honest, more like how long is a piece of string.

if you do start the project open a build thread im sure there are many that would benefit from your idea.

good luck! :)

Thanks! I started the project, if people are interested I can post more pictures or a video.

I bet your good a puzzles lol!

Seriously though that is a touch of genius, you definitely want to get this one in some sort of progress thread or keep this one updated.

are you working to a budget also? i ask as you can get some excellent button boxes form DSD designs. I bought this one and use it as an ICP, flying in VR there is less of an issue about looking like the real thing but i have mine mounted right in front of me at chest height and it works a treat.

here is the link http://derekspearedesigns.com/p1p2.html

Im using the P2

I highly recommend the DSD stuff its top quality

Thanks for the nice words. I have a very small budget. The cockpit so far (without the hotas) was less than 50 euro. The white ICP is my own work. I 3D printed it. It is fully functional.

When I have some money I ll check the DSD site. Thanks again :)

Use the IPD function in the DCS settings, 54 ish is what I use. Even though my real world IPD is much larger. IPD=world scale in DCS.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I made something similar... :)

:shocking::shocking::thumbup: incredible!! Any chance of getting some more details / drawings of your box? Having a similar problem I‘d love to get some more information / details from your solution. Are you selling drawings / plans?

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

Thanks!

I do have some plans. I’ve said I will tidy them up and post them, but I haven’t had time.

Here’s the build thread.

Great! Thank you for the link! Is VERY interesting!!!

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

Wow! That looks great!!!!

I made some small progress:

- I 3d printed switches and placed them on the panels. They are for now not functional. I did this to test if the locations match the VR cockpit

- For the same reason I also made the hand rail. I installed only the left

- I started building a prototype of the upfront panel including the mfds

- I painted the wooden frame white so it looks a little bit better

What do you think?

image.jpg

• 1 month later...

I made some progress. I switched from vr to both vr and non vr. Also, for now I use F4toserial which for the non vr experiance only supports F4 bms. The succesor of f4toserial will also support dcs. Thats why i used bms for this short first test flight. The landing is terrible but i was just trying out if the pit worked.

• 2 weeks later...