Would you buy a paid upgrade for Huey?

ebabil

147 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a paid upgrade for Huey?

• Yes
    • No

Back in July 96 I got to ride on a h-60 from holloman afb Nm to sd and back the next day. On the trip up we stopped for fuel at great falls iirc then by my Rushmore at sunset the the af base there then next morning out by my Rushmore and crazy horse monument then to the usaf academy for a display before heading home to nm.

Cool story, but wrong sub forum.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I guess if it’s along the lines of what ED are doing a the moment - free upgraded model and textures (which are really showing their age (especially the cockpit textures and those awful external light reflections) and then paid airframe upgrade,

This seems to be ED's strategy now but I disagree with it.

If I buy a module for a good amount of money, I expect to get the best possible simulation of that particular aircraft.

If the version nr. at the time of my purchase was not the best possible simulation, then ED should provide upgrades / bug fixes free of charge because I paid for the best possible simulation of that particular aircraft.

We'll see how much money ED want to charge existing owners for such an update, but in general I find it poor business practice.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

I don't have a problem with it if the module is completed to the promised level. Free graphical update to the H model with a paid upgrade to a N model? Sure. Paid upgrade to add multicrew and an RWR? The multicrew was part of the deal from the start and I don't care enough for an RWR. Unfortunately I don't see many upgrades they could do that wouldn't require a significant amount of work. The N model for example has two engines so that's a lot more system coding. They could upgrade it from the -13 to the -703 engine to make the super Huey but again I'm not sure the extra engine performance would justify a paid upgrade. Maybe just 5 dollars for the graphical update? It would probably be best just to make it free and keep selling them to new comers.

Free graphical update to the H model with a paid upgrade to a N model?

Yeah, introducing a different version as a separate module is something else.

But I imagine there is also a lot cannibalisation.

Say you want a Focke-Wulf now. Then what do you buy? Dora or Anton? Buying both seems overkill to me. If you do want two German warbirds, then get one FW and the Messerschmidt. Unless you really don't know what to do with your money anymore...

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Twin Huey would have to be another full module, and a day one buy. But to just get the RWR, as it’s really all that’s missing, no. Multiplayer Multi crew needs to happen, and not as a paid addon. A jester like Ai would be great, with call outs from the crew, and the ability to set target prorties on the fly. Although I may be mistaken, but isn’t the left seater the AC commander? And let the AI take over the radio, and nav wile I fly the damn thing. Or even better have it fly the damn thing wile I melt shit with the mini guns. I don’t mean the way it is now, I mean the AI flying like any AI while the player can occupy one of the other positions. All of that I would pay $20 to $30 for. Shouldn’t have to but this is the real world, and even that kind of upgrade wouldn’t see a big enough spike in new sales to justify it.

No helicopters are the opposite of fixed wing seats so iirc the rt seat is the pic.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

This is a good discussion topic. Will you pay for an upgrade/refresh of a product.

I started a thread a while back about the BlackShark being my most expensive module by far. I went from BS (stand-alone) to BS2 (upgrade) And now a full BS2 license. I was quite p-ssed at that.

However, I have had quite a bit of fun with the BlackShark over the years. And I realize that it is quite an investment by ED to keep patching/updating a module for years on end.

To put it into perspective Windows 7 release date for the general public was October 22nd, 2009. And the original BlackShark RU: 17 October 2008 EN: 10 December 2008.

Everything needs maintenance, your house and car for example, and in the case of our modules, the environment they are being used in changes continuously. New graphic options, lighting, everything really. So yes I will pay for an upgrade or even a maintenance release. I know it's not popular, but seeing the amount of work that goes into a module and the (remember!!) FREE DCS World it has to be paid for somehow. All this raises the followup question of how ED would charge us for all this work. Other studio's just release an updated version of their game. New engine, a few new maps, XXX3 becomes XXX4 with the full price again. Every 1 or 2 years. Take FIFA for example, it's up to version 20 already!

I don't really like the way ED is deciding how to get paid for updates to modules, but I don't know another way that's better.

So to get back on topic, Yes I will pay for a better/updated Huey.

YES!

Some extra stuff for the legend. Don´t want to learn 10 new modules every year. Bring goodies for the established modules.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

This, like many polls on this forum, is too simplistic. It is like any of the "Would you like a new feature? : YES/NO" polls. Question aside, the issue is what are you prepared to delay/cancel in order to get this new feature? Whether a Huey update is paid or not, it is coming at the "price" of re-prioritising other DCS development.

I can think of lots of really nice things to add to the Huey (e.g. 3D models of any soldiers/medical/cargo being transported inside the helicopter). However, do I want that to come at the cost of a delay to, say, the Mi-24P? No thanks.

For certain upgrades Yes. I would like to be able to add infantry in the back seats and be able to look round and see them. Vietnam era infantry would be excellent. Animated embarking and disembarking again would be a very positive update to the Huey. Decent water on the canopy effects that the wipers can effect. There’s a lot of potential in the Huey that could be developed in the future. But these are the sort of things I would be prepared to spend money on. From a purely VR perspective I don’t think I would see much gain from cockpit texture upgrades like you would if you use a monitor.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

A giant +1 from me for a paid UH-1N upgrade, and also agreed that outside of that there's not a whole lot that would make me pay to upgrade the existing H.

Personally I don't think seeing infantry in the back seat should she be a "Huey upgrade", whilst it is something I very much want to see I believe this should be a wider core inclusion that isn't limited to the Huey. Infantry riding in all helicopters, in landing craft, in or on top of armoured vehicles etc is something I've been wanting to see in DCS for a long time. And the below image gives me hope that one day it will be a reality or is at least being explored. However, paying for the ability to see them isn't something I can imagine myself doing.

Sd.Kfz.184-Elefant-01.jpg

I’m still waiting for multi-crew.....this is why I bought it.....so no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol so am I. The Huey was released in 2013. Its 2020. Where's my damned multi-crew, ED?? In that time, you've had enough 'insufficient resources' to release a crap load of stuff including the Hornet, Viper, etc. But yet no multi crew.

Get your priorities straight.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

An N or 212 maybe...

Why Should I pay again for the same module.

I dont wnat to encourage the A-10 K 50 re-buy policy. I am NOt re buying the A-10 nor the K 50, no matter how many new systems they put into them and, If I cant fly them any more I will be very, very picky with my module choices...

I wil no longer buy modules just to colect them....

Why Should I pay again for the same module.

Suppose you buy a new car without A/C. Then say half a year later you change your mind, contact the dealer again and request an A/C retrofit. Should that be free as well?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Suppose you buy a new car without A/C. Then say half a year later you change your mind, contact the dealer again and request an A/C retrofit. Should that be free as well?

What if you bought the car under a promise it would get a/c because you wanted a/c. Seven years later they are still advertising that car as getting a/c but it still doesn’t have a/c. Would you pay for an upgrade from them?

Edited by sunwukong

@sunwukong, if you bought that car because you would be able to use it after it get a/c upgrade than I can understand that, you won't pay for upgrade.

There are people which are happy with that car even without A/C, because it meets their requirements and they want to get upgraded version.

What if you bought the car under a promise it would get a/c because you wanted a/c. Seven years later they are still advertising that car as getting a/c but it still doesn’t have a/c. Would you pay for an upgrade from them?

Pretty accurately seems up the situation

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

I'd pay for a Huey with miniguns properly placed by the big doors instead of right beside the pilots. Also, it could be fun to have twin-sixties at each door instead of miniguns. And how about that 40mm blooper in the front? Perhaps make the cockpit more dirty as well. Last but not least, it'd be total awesomeness to get either the old B- or C-model for gunship duty.

BOTTOM LINE: More Nam stuff, less modern blah blah. Because Nam!

I'd pay for a Huey with miniguns properly placed by the big doors instead of right beside the pilots. Also, it could be fun to have twin-sixties at each door instead of miniguns. And how about that 40mm blooper in the front? Perhaps make the cockpit more dirty as well. Last but not least, it'd be total awesomeness to get either the old B- or C-model for gunship duty.

BOTTOM LINE: More Nam stuff, less modern blah blah. Because Nam!

Amen to that, man!

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

under a promise it would get a/c because

Pretty accurately seems up the situation

If this hypotethical A/C is something listed or promised in the original v1.0 release notes, you've got a point. If not, you don't. So if there's an upgrade consisting of completely new content ED hasn't mentioned before, you'll just need to pay or do without. Pretty simple and straightforward when you think about it, isn't it?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.