Autopilot

Why its difficult to fly without autopilot in MI-8?? Is there any technic to lift off,hover,touch with out autopilot??
It's not really an autopilot. It's a "dampener", just like in the Ka-50, but the Ka-50 has a real autopilot as well.

Why would you give yourself pain and grief and fly without it? There is no point though its perfectly doable, not even hard if you practice a little.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

It’s actually an advanced SAS ( stability augmentation system ) which is technically an autopilot.

Doesn’t have nowadays superior modes ( NAV, APPRO, VS etc .. ) doesn’t mean it’s not an AP.

Properly used, it can hold current heading and altitude, and even altering it.

Manual is very well made and a very detailed chapter explains ithe AP34B four channels AP, good reading :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

It’s actually an advanced SAS ( stability augmentation system ) which is technically an autopilot.

Doesn’t have nowadays superior modes ( NAV, APPRO, VS etc .. ) doesn’t mean it’s not an AP.

Properly used, it can hold current heading and altitude, and even altering it.

Manual is very well made and a very detailed chapter explains ithe AP34B four channels AP, good reading :)

You're absolutely correct of course!

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Ram the collective up and down.  You will get generator failure warnings soon enough.  I have flown the Hip plenty without Autopilot.  Sometimes only realizing it when I notice the helo flying "aggessively."  With that said, I turn on AP as soon as I can.  I actually have the button mapped to my HOTAS.  It is good practice in case you lose power, but the Hip really needs a gentle touch without the Autopilot engaged.  Just my two cents.

ASUS X570 Plus TUF MOBO, Ryzen 3900X CPU, EVGA 2080 Super GPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD

if you read the manual it tells you the pitch and roll SAS is mandatory.

why its part of the start up procedure.

you can fly without it but you are not supposed too.

the only two channels that are voluntary are yaw and altitude.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Got a question here. It seems like the altitude channel is broken. When I apply it the chopper does pitch up and down and does the dolphine. When I don't use the channel it is butter smoth though and keeps perfect level at a given collective stage.

On 7/15/2021 at 11:06 PM, nazradu said:

Got a question here. It seems like the altitude channel is broken. When I apply it the chopper does pitch up and down and does the dolphine. When I don't use the channel it is butter smoth though and keeps perfect level at a given collective stage.

I've seen this as well recently. Starting from trimmed in level flight, engage the Alt hold and its nose up and then nose dive and panic. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong though...