Slack on TM HOTAS Warthog?

Hey guys,

I've had my TM HOTAS Warthog for a few weeks now, and I'm noticing there is some slack on the stick. It's not a real deadzone as the TM uses magnetic sensors, but I'm not getting any resistance when moving it left and right for a distance of about 2-4 mm (measured on top). If I move it more, there is the normal resistance obviously. Somewhat the same for forward/backward, but not so much.

Anyone else having this?

Also I'm not sure if it was this way since I got it or if I'm just getting worked up in the luxury of this thing. ;)

Top view:

Bottom view:

Edited by LostOblivion
  • Like 1

Nice plane on that gun...

OS764 P930@4 MBUD3R M6GB G5870 SSDX25 CAntec1200 HTMHW

Mine is about 4 months old now and it is rock solid in the center still.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

I don't think slack is normal, mine doesn't have it either.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS:WIN7 HP X64|MOBO:ASRock Z68|CPU:I52500k@4Ghz|RAM:12Gb 3x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 @1600Mhz|GPU:ASUS GTX580|HDD:2x128Gb Crucial sataIII SSD raid0|PSU:Antek 1000watt|Case:Antek 1200|Peripherals: TMWH|Saitek ProFlight rudder pedals|TrackIr4

Hmmm. What do I do then? Ask my net shop to return it? Or talk to TM?

See if the dealer will replace it as it is a defective unit, do it while you still can.

IMHO It cost too much to tolerate any defect no matter how insignificant it might seem.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS:WIN7 HP X64|MOBO:ASRock Z68|CPU:I52500k@4Ghz|RAM:12Gb 3x4Gb GSkill Ripjaws 9-9-9-24 @1600Mhz|GPU:ASUS GTX580|HDD:2x128Gb Crucial sataIII SSD raid0|PSU:Antek 1000watt|Case:Antek 1200|Peripherals: TMWH|Saitek ProFlight rudder pedals|TrackIr4

Is it firmly screwed in place? Mine came a little bit loose and gave this problem.

Oh? Did you manage to fix the problem? What screws would be the culprits?

It's the "ball" thing attached to within the housing that is being a little loose. It's not much though, as I said only 2-4 mm measured from on top of the stick. On the ball itself this probably translates into 0.5 mm of slack.

I made two vids showing what the slack is like.

Top view:

Bottom view:

The annoying thing is that this is just above the threshold as to when it really makes a difference when flying...

Edited by LostOblivion
Added videos

I made two vids showing what the slack is like.

I watched the vids and tried to reproduce it and couldn't there's no give.

When I pull in all the way over to one side and release it it pops back to center while the momentum shakes my desk.

I think if it bothers you enough to even post about it, then you should RMA it, I would.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Oh? Did you manage to fix the problem? What screws would be the culprits?

No screws.

77282744.jpg

This ring that you can unscrew to detach the joystick, mine came a little loose. Simply tightened it back up by hand.

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

Oh, when I got my TM the housing plate and the stick itself came in two pieces, having to screw it on myself. It's defenately not the tightening ring.

Mine pops back too, but it's just the small amount of slack in the middle making me roll the aircraft when flying straight having trimmed the aircraft perfectly, but depening on how I rest my hand on it, the small amount of slack is making the aircraft roll slightly left or right.

I've requred an RMA from my store, linking the vids. I hope I'll get it replaced.

Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

Edited by LostOblivion

First, your stick should not have come with the housing plate detached from the stick. That's crazy! Second, the design is such that there can NEVER be any type of slack play.

If you have play, it is due to a mechanical issue that would be way outside the original design, or it could be a calibration issue. This design should NEVER develop play. Period, unless there are loose screws somewhere.

I know that TM has some kind of calibrating software out there for the Hog but I'm not sure how many have it, or even needed it.

Either way, if your unit arrived dissaembled like that, you should probably RMA it. That sounds very strange!

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

First, your stick should not have come with the housing plate detached from the stick. That's crazy! Second, the design is such that there can NEVER be any type of slack play.

If you have play, it is due to a mechanical issue that would be way outside the original design, or it could be a calibration issue. This design should NEVER develop play. Period, unless there are loose screws somewhere.

I know that TM has some kind of calibrating software out there for the Hog but I'm not sure how many have it, or even needed it.

Either way, if your unit arrived dissaembled like that, you should probably RMA it. That sounds very strange!

Well, I'm pretty sure it's ment to come in seperate parts, me having to attach the stick onto the housing on the plate, as the boxing forms it came with had the parts resting neatly in it. Maybe they just changed the boxing since when you bought it.

As seen here:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5255/5488893183_cae5595a6e.jpg

It's not a calibration issue, as there is just slack making me roll slightly to one side or the other, depending if I rest my hand on it slightly to the left or right while flying perfectly trimmed straight and level.

I have the same thing, LostOblivion. Just got my Warthog about a week or two ago. Mine came with the housing plate attached.

Using the device analyzer, it appears to be a give from 0 to about -100 only in the x-axis. No play in the y-axis. Keep us updated on what feedback you get, please!

DCS Wiki! :book:

@ LostOblivion, mine has exactly the same slack that yours does, the movement still registers ingame so it's not a dead spot. Keep us posted how you get on, i'm considering phoning TM customer services for advice.

Well, I'm pretty sure it's ment to come in seperate parts, me having to attach the stick onto the housing on the plate, as the boxing forms it came with had the parts resting neatly in it. Maybe they just changed the boxing since when you bought it.

As seen here:

It's not a calibration issue, as there is just slack making me roll slightly to one side or the other, depending if I rest my hand on it slightly to the left or right while flying perfectly trimmed straight and level.

My two warthogs came as in picture to. You must do a RMA.

Or do a search for a post on how to take the joystick apart and look if there is something loose inside it. That is what i would do first before a RMA.

Register and fill in a support ticket if you have nt done it yet.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=files_faq

MB:MSI X79A-GD45

CPU:Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz

Ram:16 gb

Grafik :GTX 680 Sli

Win 7 64 bit

1200 W

2 ssd 120 gb

1 2 TB western Digital Caviar Green

I did send TM a message asking whether this is normal or not. I have also required an RMA from my reseller.

I am not going to attempt to fiddle with the thing myself, though, as most resellers will claim the warranty is void and reject my request if they think I've opened it myself.

Having said that, it's probably just a loose screw. I'll keep you posted.

Do you guys have any slack at all, or do you feel resistance right at the mm when you move it? I.e. is there absolutely no slack whatsoever?

Edited by LostOblivion

As seen here:

I'm sorry Bro, I misunderstood you when you said the mounting plate came separated. Yes, the stick ships unattached from the base. The Cougar shipped the same way.

What I thought you meant is that the flat plate shipped apart from the base, and that would definitely be a red flag.

It sounds more like you are getting registered movement, but a lack of resistance. Again, the design itself makes that almost impossible. There is one HUGE spring that provides most of the resistance beyond center, and 4 smaller springs that prevent resistance-slack at center. I guess those 4 smaller springs could be missing, and that would result in what you are seeing.

I'll be very curious in how this turns out but I would definitely RMA it. Don't be too brazen and open the stick to take a look unless you know what you are doing because if you screw up when putting it back together, you WILL break a wire :-)

Don't ask......:doh:

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

OK, i've just been chatting to TM customer support, they have told me the slack is not normal and I should send it back to the retailer (Amazon) where I bought it from.

I just phoned Amazon, they are posting me out a new Hog using first class post. Result.

• Like 1

I received a reply from TM regarding my query and here is their response.

"After watching the movies which you have provided us with, after comparing the movement of your joystick with the movement of the joysticks we have here for testing and after asking a second opinion from one of our engineer from the R&D department, we can inform you that the movement itself is a normal and because of the type of sensors that are located at the bottom of it game play shall not be effected."

Meaning they aren't suggesting I send it in. Quite a big disappointment really, but I clearly stated that the game play is indeed being affected by this and that it is quite annoying, yet they claim me wrong obviously.

It's just annoying if I do send it in and they send it back claiming it's "normal" and I have to pay for all the shipping fees.

@Vapour, how does your stick slack and what did you say to TM and how did they respond? Do the videos I posted here resemble the problem you had? Can you make a video like I did just so I can compare it?

I'm considering replying to them pushing my case and maybe linking to this thread for what it's worth.

Edited by LostOblivion

I see what you mean. I'm just not sure if I'm comfortable with it starting to get so loose after just 20 or so hours of usage. Not really sure what to do here.

Let's say I cancel my RMA and stick with it (no pun intended). How does the hog look like inside? Is there something I could probably tighten myself to make it more dead center?

Considering the amount of time a stick should spend in dead center while flying... I do not understand why this is such a big deal?

I actually like to have slack as it allows to fight the horrible sticktion that Warthog has.

It's not the end of the world, but this is a 500 dollar piece of gear we're talking about. I don't mind being a little finicky about it.

DCS Wiki! :book: