How do you Carpet Bomb with the B52?

Snacko

Ok, I read the manual and it says this:

Targeting Strategies

Carpet Bombing

If you wish to have a bomber release all its bombs between two defined points, you can use the Point category. To do so:

Set the first initial point‟s Targeting area to Point and place it where you want the bombing run to start. You must also give this point a name. For example: “factory-begin”.

Create a second target point from the same waypoint that is also assigned the Point category. Place this point where you want the bombing run to end. You must also give this point a name. For example: “factory-end”.

When the aircraft flies the mission, it will perform a bombing run between the two defined points using all of its bombs. In the example image below, the bomber will drop its bombs in a line from south to north between the two targeting points.

I have done this, and still No Joy!

I have two targets set to Point with names Carpet Bomb - Begin and End. They are both at a waypoint that is in view of the target. The alt is 6000m and there are a few clouds, not many. What is the deal?? :cry:

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

snacko,

I was able to create a carpet-bombing scenario with a USA B52H and Mk84s. It's hard to tell without looking at your mission, but remember that the waypoint associated with the target points has to be far enough away so the bomber crew can get lined up and ready to drop bombs. The AI won't open bomb bay doors, etc. until they're at that waypoint. If it's right over the target area, it's too late to release the bombs, so they don't even try.

Attached is a .miz file I set up. Works fine for me (BS 1.0.2 no mods). Notice how far WP2 is from the target areas. You can experiment to see how close the WP can be to the target area, but remember the higher the release altitude, the more distance you'll have to add, to allow for the time that the bombs fall.

Shoot to Kill.

Play to Have Fun.

Yes, I have 27 mk82s and 18 mk20s.

Thx Einstein, I'll take another look. I made this same mission in Lockon FC1, and also had problems getting the b52 to drop, but I finally got it. Now again the same problem. Argg..

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

You are right Rocky. That is crazy. And I do have AA at the site.

Grizzly, now that you mention that, I also remember that problem. I'll remove the wing bombs and report back.

Thanks for that sample mission Einstein. I found my problem. I think the main problem was that I had the Task set to 'Pinpoint Strike'. I changed it to 'Ground Attack' and then it started working.

I was able to put payloads on both wings and also in the bombbay. And I also put an OSA SA-8 at the target, and it still dropped it's bombs just fine. I had the waypoints set to about 6000 meters, but in the game it said the flight was at about 16,000 feet, so I think the actual flight was lower than 6000 for some reason. When I told it to 'Lock Altitude' at the first waypoint, it would dive down a little at the second waypoint, so it must want to be lower to bomb. So, I reset the waypoint to just 'Turning Point' and let it start at the altitude it wanted.

Thanks for all your help!

• Like 1

Awesome! Thanks for the info. The B52 flew Nap of Earth didn't it? I think I remember that from my old Stratofortress Simulator 20 years ago.. That was a fun simulator with all of it's stations.

B52 Nap of Earth... O.o

Err... It's called Stratofortress for a reason - it's up in the stratosphere. :P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Ahh.. maybe that was it!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...

As the above video link is now down, here's what I found to work for B52 bombing:

- Give the B52 a primary task (i.e. drop down under the country) of Ground Attack

- Set your waypoints for the flight plan to and from the target.

- One of the waypoints on the way to the target seems to need to be at least 10 miles from the target, giving the B52 time to setup it's run and open the bomb bay doors

- Add an Advanced Waypoint action to the waypoint circa 10 miles from the target

- Add a "Perform Task" of "Bombing"

- Set the Weapon to Unguided Bombs

- Set the REL QTY to ALL

- Set the Attack Quantity to 1 (this relates to how many times the bomber will make a bombing run. If you want to laugh, set it to 49 and watch the B52 make 49 passes over the target)

I built a simple test mission with a single B52 and another aircraft that I could jump in and sanity check that it worked. It's worth trying it out.

For myself, the above resulted in the B52 dropping all of both it's internal and external bombs.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

You missed the best part!

In VR. spawn on the same runway you just targeted,

Get out of your aircraft, have a seat, and watch the SHOW!

I have died many times this way......:D

(It helps to have a chair within reach....lol)

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

This is one of the funnier threads I've read here that's for sure.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Awesome! Thanks for the info. The B52 flew Nap of Earth didn't it? I think I remember that from my old Stratofortress Simulator 20 years ago.. That was a fun simulator with all of it's stations.

I think that was the Dale Brown megafortress version? Did it have rear firing missiles?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 1 month later...