Improved stability and dedicated server

jers

• ED Team
Thats is a good point you make, is it because they only want to play SP ?

or because MP is so badly bugged they give up on it ?

Or maybe not every enjoys the same things, and maybe people prefer single player, or playing with a smaller group of friends even. As stated, its more of a study sim that MMO, as such, people are going to play offline a lot as well, and the numbers support that.

And if "MP is so badly bugged", how come I can watch so many people on twitch or other places having fun playing multiplayer? Again, I have seen no one from ED deny that some optimizations are still needed, but lets not get carried away either, "badly bugged" to me means no one can play online at all. "badly bugged" generally means unplayable.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

No one is saying MP is perfect either, but I dont want it to all be slung that way, complaining about warping when you have a 500 ping to a server, things like that, never seem to get mentioned.

Our server has a 180ms ping limit with most players ping being less than 100ms, still get warping

And if "MP is so badly bugged", how come I can watch so many people on twitch or other places having fun playing multiplayer? Again, I have seen no one from ED deny that some optimizations are still needed, but lets not get carried away either, "badly bugged" to me means no one can play online at all. "badly bugged" generally means unplayable.

I never said unplayable, but the bugs that are present can make for an aweful online MP experience

Edited by Johnny_Rico

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

• ED Team
Our server has a 180ms ping limit with most players ping being less than 100ms, still get warping

I never said unplayable, but the bugs that are present can make for an aweful online MP experience

"Aweful" huh, yet even your server has a bunch playing on it right now, and many other servers are active...

Maybe you need to tune your missions more? I know you run heavy missions with a lot going on. Or look at your server specs, no idea what those are or if its capable of handling DCS as a server. A lot of people have had trouble transitioning to the new maps and the huge number of objects and such that these new maps and 2.5 has brought. What kind of mods are you running, have you tried your server without those... I know its easier just to say DCS MP is bad.

Its just like people and the connection times, if you have a good ping to the server you are connecting to, you are in just a couple minutes. So someone connects to a server with a 250+ ping, then shouts that it takes time to load a server with all its assets.

Anyways, I still see a lot of people enjoying MP, yes bugs are frustrating, but we all want new shiny shiny. You are running on Open Beta as well right? Open Beta server operators should be aware of the risks there as well. As well as including modules that are still early access.

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

It can be aweful when stuff like, warping happens, sling load cargos hovering in the air, disconnections etc and of course server crashes

I don't think you are understanding me , if MP was crapt 100% of the time

no one at all would play MP at all, its just sometimes the bugs make it a bad experience

I suppose its different for me as I would spend time on most evenings in MP

so I see more than others might do

Mission I use is pretty lean on what is active, our server specs are fine for hosting DCS

I dont know about 250ms ping players, anyone over 180ms get auto booted from our server

Open beta and Release are the same build right now ?

Edited by Johnny_Rico

I would ask the Grim reapers what there secret is when they setup these mission and do very close formations at times. They seem to go quite well and video capture all the MP missions they do.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

• ED Team

Open beta and Release are the same build right now ?

No, but that's not even the point, the point is, adding Open Beta, and Early Access modules raise the risk level of bugs, and you should be ready to deal with those when they come up, not that release is perfect, but if you take part in Open Beta, you should expect the possibility of bugs springing up.

64Sig.png

No, but that's not even the point, the point is, adding Open Beta, and Early Access modules raise the risk level of bugs, and you should be ready to deal with those when they come up, not that release is perfect, but if you take part in Open Beta, you should expect the possibility of bugs springing up.

dang thats odd

I get Successfully updated to 2.5.2.19273.411 in my release version autoupdate_log.txt

and Successfully updated to 2.5.2.19273.411 beta version autoupdate_log.txt

What should the beta version be at ?

That's what they keep saying/people keep reiterating,

Most people in any kind of computer gaming, be it sims or whatever, only do SP. Or that's what I've heard many times from different sources over the years anyway.

The MP community is a vocal one and thus make their presence known in any genre, but AFAIK they're still the minority everywhere. And if this is true, what we'd really need first and foremost is better AI, although I personally wouldn't mind seeing a dedicated server materializing ASAP since I do both myself. But the majority gets to make the rules...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I only see 50 or so posts in this thread, some by the same people, I guess that is not a lot of people complaining about multiplayer either.

Hmm and yet 4,431 views on a post not even 3 days old

Take a look down the first page of this sub forum, how many have anywhere this many views and are approx 3 days old ?

I beg to differ... I have seen many new names and returning names with the introduction of the Hornet, no doubt improvements to MP will always help, but are not the only reason for ED's success.

I guess we have different definitions of "huge". Just seemed like a very logical conclusion that a niche game with very high entry costs would require far less effort to retain players than to rely on attracting new ones.

Or maybe not every enjoys the same things, and maybe people prefer single player, or playing with a smaller group of friends even. As stated, its more of a study sim that MMO, as such, people are going to play offline a lot as well, and the numbers support that.

We can either wildly speculate (on both sides of the fence) and draw conclusions based on simplified data, or we can run a poll to try and find out for sure. It'd be interesting to know either way it goes.

I only see 50 or so posts in this thread, some by the same people, I guess that is not a lot of people complaining about multiplayer either.

I'm not sure that burying a thread under a flood of "I support X" or repeating the same concerns ad nauseam is a good idea.

Indeed that is not a lot of people complaining. There are more people that open "thank you ed" threads. So I guess dcs is perfect.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

To reply to this thread I agree that this topic is important for many simmers oft DCS. For myself 90% oft flights are in MP. Its more dynamic and social than SP.

An improved and stabilized MP is VERY important for me!

My 2cents,

Flummi

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

Thing is, I personally know guys who won't touch DCS anymore until there is a dedicated server, and one of those until there is a dynamic campaign engine. They have some modules but won't buy any more, either.

Also, you will never see them posting on this forum beforehand as for now they are lost to DCS. Some people vote with their feet.

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

+1

I would like to build a DECENT server for DCS but it's quite impossible! The Stability on 2.5.2.18736 STABLE branch it's a nightmare!

The way to host a dedicated server is crazy! A Full Client Installation to host MP session, unbelivable. I managed a lot of game server over the time, AssettoCorsa, Arma3, Ark, CS:GO, Empyrion and many other, and I never seen somethink like that.

I hope the ED is going to invest more time and resource to develop a dedicated server build!

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

That's what they keep saying/people keep reiterating, but the real question is whether people play SP because they actually prefer it or because of the state of MP.

In my case it's the latter.

I've been giving up on MP for time being, for me it's just to much hassle ATM. My DCS flying is unfortunately restricted to shorter SP sorties now and then. This also stopped me from buying any new modules/maps since MP is the main reason I play games/sims.

I still hope things will change for the better but as many others I have anticipated the DS for many years now.

Would be interesting to see the result of a simple poll regarding this...

Edited by KeyCat

To offer a counter-argument: I haven't been on your server for a while, and only in DCS 1.5, since indeed the performance there was quite aweful (flying in a Ka-50 close to the ground was a slideshow and completely unplayable in VR).

I have been on other open MP servers, where the overall performance was much much better than on yours (like NineLine stated, when we join a MP server we often don't know the hardware it's running on). That, combined with your constant complaining and ED-bashing on your server description, has kept me from joining ever again.

I'm not claiming there is no problem on ED's side when it comes to MP hosting large-scale missions with a lot of people on them, simply because I tend to not join such servers and as such have very little experience with them.

Instead, we've been hosting in-house servers (just for our squadron), including heavy missions with lots of scripts running, and that has never been a problem. The only times when people were "warping", is when there was an easily-identified problem on the client's side.

We have opened up our server a few times and had 40 people on it, without major issues. But mostly we have between 6 and 12 people on it at any given time, or less.

Saying that DCS multiplayer experience as a whole is "aweful" is simply not true.

For the people running servers locked for people not in their squadron and/or air wing, a dedicated server applications is most needed because currently those people need the minimum hardware to run DCS (Why would you want a sound card on a dedicated server, if not for DCS? - Not having a GUI would also reduce some requirements on the server, and electricity costs), and it forces them to buy the maps twice.

In my case it's the latter.

If that is the result of your experience on large servers such as havoc, blue flag etc, I'd recommend you find or build a squadron, and host your own missions for friends and/or your own squadron. The experience might be quite a bit different :-)

Edited by Elysian Angel
Added a reply
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

@Elysian Angel , does sling loading work for you on your server?

as in when you move some cargo about do all the clients connected see it when it is dropped elsewhere?

I've been reading this thread and there is a bit of hyperbole around DCS Multiplayer and its current state. It's definitely not perfect but it does work. However, it is NOT very accessible from a administrative and a client stand point. What I mean by accessible is, multiplayer is a much worse experience than single player in terms of stability and from a general 'wtf is going on' point of view.

Multiplayer lobbies take a long time to load with no indication to the user of what actually is happening.

There is constant jitters and pauses in multiplayer as well as rubber banding/trampolining clients.

The more complex the mission the problems seem to get exponentially worse but there is no feedback from the server to the administrator as to what might be the problem (bandwidth/cpu issues).

Yes, the 'numbers' may indicate that single player is more popular but I would wager that the multiplayer element is more vocal at this time. If single player is such a focus and multiplayer is being left to rot, then you may as well just remove multiplayer all together.

Everyone I speak to about DCS talks about multiplayer. Hoggit, one of the biggest communities exists almost solely because of multiplayer and it's community.

We've raised these issues with ED via this forum for a long time now and nothing appears to be done. We are told that it is being worked on, yet, despite all the mini-updates and better community focused communication we have heard nothing regarding the multiplayer experience. This is bordering on disrespect to the multiplayer community.

I ask you ED, tell us what you are working on. Tell us what improvements you are going to make and put our minds at ease. You have been great with communication lately but we need to know what we can expect from multiplayer, so we can continue to invest our time and our money into this hobby.

I say this with respect, but also through fatigue of wondering and hoping.

does sling loading work for you on your server?

Lately we've only been flying the Hornet, and it's been a while in general since we flew helicopters.

We have done sling loading in the past without major issues - but that was back in 2017, before DCS 2.5 .

Multiplayer lobbies take a long time to load with no indication to the user of what actually is happening.

On this particular issue: for me, reducing Preload Radius to minimum (100 I think?) helped immensely, along with disabling the page file in Windows. But my PC does sport an M.2 drive.

Edited by Elysian Angel
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I also want a stable dedicated (Linux) server for DCS.

The current solution is not really practical and unfortunately has the problems already mentioned.

Simpit Software by SDA "SIMPIT DEVELOPER ASSOCIATION"

• DCS ExportScript
  • D.A.C. DCS to Arcaze Communicator
  • Ikarus a new Virtual Cockpit Software

Deutscher Forums Thread

English Forums Thread

Hard/Software: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, 32 GiB RAM, extra SSD for Windows 10 and DCS World, AMD Vega Frontier Edition with 16 GiB VRAM