Combat is frustrating!

Agree: and the reason that I have jumped the DCS ship for the moment and am flying CoD (TS) Spits and enjoying less frustration. Am still a fan of DCS, but will wait it out and not spend more $ till more of the bugs are worked out.

BadBud

Damage model is being worked on but it is not impossible to shoot down planes, especially player flown ones in multiplayer.

Visibility could be improved, but the new lighting in 2.1 has improved slightly already.

Maybe better contrast between Aircraft and the ground would help. However visibility in DCS is not as far from realistic as some people would have you think (some of the problem lies in the Monitor being smaller than real life field of view)

In short..... git guud

GeForce GTX 970, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8 GB ram, Win 10, 1080p

That sums up the current state of play very nicely!:thumbup:

I would add, that if you read the records of post D-Day air combat ( look at Bunyap's You Tube channel, he has done historical videos of the day to day life in a Spitfire squadron), you see that large dogfight's, never occurred. Those were the Battle of Britain days. Most encounters were very brief dogfight's, with the Luftwaffe aircraft able to disengage at will and scoot for their forward bases. The 109/190 had greater speed than the Spit/Pony. If we had the Thunderbolt or Typhoon/Tempest we may be able to catch them?

If you fly for the Luftwaffe, you can re create interception of the Flying Forts. I believe ED have activated the B-17 turret gunners, although I have not tested that yet!

Cheers.

Every Mustang was faster than any 109G and Fw190A during the time of Normandy landings.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I do not do combat. I just fly around and enjoy. I suck at dogfighting. DCS is a combat simulator... well not for me. :) Even average AI shots me down every time.

It is a great flight model. I'd buy a C-47 and fly cargo and still be happy. Very happy! Mind you they had a pile of guns too;)

For me the differences in performance from one build to another, one plane to another, one era to another, one map or mission to another and one server to another don't scream out at me to want to jump up and fly it much in a multiplayer environment.

As a Spitfire flier, it's just a die-fest for me.

No doubt my hardware, skill level and internet connection hinder me a bit and further along the development line, I will invest further probably but for now, I am in a holding pattern until the AI gets evened up a bit.

As Clint Eastwood once said "dying ain't much of a living".

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

My advice to you: use your weapons at a short distance, they are more effective. Bf 109 has 30 balls and is also effective from the most distant. 20 mm or 7.7 British. Good hunting :)

He is correct. Set your gunsight range to 200yds and the wingspan to around 35ft and shoot when the 109 (or 190) fills the gap. It will disintegrate.

I did a lot of offline testing and found that at those settings a 109 or 190 blew up with barely a one second burst. This was frozen at the instant the bullets arrived at the target. I upped the contrast to show the convergence is pretty close to 200yds

shot2010.jpg

This is taken a fraction of a second later

deskto10.jpg

Before using these settings, in the 2v2 instant mission I could usually get one enemy to crash but the second one was almost always still flying, albeit smoking, when I ran out of ammo. Now I can take down both with 2-3 of ammo and anyone who flies with me will tell you that I am a terrible dogfighter. Oh, and when I did this testing and took these pictures I did not realise I had made a mistake with my settings and was only firing 303s; no cannons :-)

The AI in that mission is actually pretty bad compared to a human pilot. After the merge turn on the one going for your wing man. You can kill the first one quite quickly while he is fixated on your wingman and before the other one gets on your six. If you then keep your speed up & dodge his attacks until you get roughly behind the second one, he will squander a lot of his energy then eventually try to climb and will give you a perfect shot. If you trust your ability to calculate lead then get him as he passes your nose in plan view but I have found I have more success by ignoring the 'easy' snap shot which can leave you low on E and instead ease onto his six as he climbs and hit him at convergence.

If only human pilots were so obliging. My kills against them are still rare :-)

Edited by Roblex

==============================================================================================================================

56sqn US@R

Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16Gb RAM, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 6xxx @ 2700 MHz

also flying with other wingmen helps alot and is way more fun and realistic.

i use eekz label mod from the burning skies server. it does the trick for me for the time being. realy enhanced my spotting experience!

so that should get your anger barometer down to fun levels:)

Sure would appreciate more info on eekz label mod, I could really use that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get closer - have faith in your ability to improve your position. Don't feel 'rushed' to fire for fear of losing the opportunity. Get in close and deal maximum damage!

If you don't have that faith in your ability to improve your solution - practice more!

Couple of quotes from "Fighter Combat Tactics and Maneuvering" (I highly recommend it!)

"You can have computer sights or anything you like, but I think you have to go to the enemy on the shortest distance and knock him down from point-blank range. You'll get him from in close. At long distance it's questionable"

&

"I liked the whole front of my windscreen to be full of the enemy aircraft when I fired."

Colonel Erich "Bubi" Hartman GAP

World's Leading Ace, luftwaffe

352 Victories, WWII

"Go in close, and then when you think you are too close, go on in closer."

Major Thomas B. "Tommy" McGuire, USAAF

Second Leading U.S Ace,

38 Victories, WWII

I distinctly remember a particular engagement in 'that other WWII combat sim" that I fly where I was specifically trying to incorporate this and other advice from these Aces in a Spitfire. I engaged and got closer, then closer still, without firing a shot - then eventually I was diving slightly on him banking into me and gave one short burst of the 20mm at his wing root - and the 109 literally exploded into pieces. Yes different sim/DM etc - but I had never seen damage like it in that sim before, as I used to 'rush' and fire from long ranges and not do the required amount of damage..

In any case - something to think about. Hope it helps you out!

EDIT: Oh and the labels.lua is very easy to edit to suit your requirements. I personally just use a small transparent grey dot directly over the target that fades as it gets closer. Happy to PM to you if you like.

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I recorded this for someone else who was having trouble shooting. Trying to demonstrate lead and lag pursuit to get a lesser deflection(better aspect) shot. Nose way ahead of the enemy to close the distance then nose slightly behind to tune angle off for a near zero deflection shot.

By then you notice you can be very close.

I prefer a convergence of 150 yards or even less but a locked thread told us all there will be no entertaining that foolish notion.

I've managed to shoot down an Fw190 without too much trouble using VR and no labels. His wing man did get a few shots into me and caused me to smoke. Eventually, my engine seized and I made a "safe" landing in the grass. The enemy wing man crashed trying to finish me off. I won!!! sort of...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

In addition to Roblex's advice about picking off the 109 going for your wingman first, I've found that a) if you put a bit of distance between you and the second 109 he'll go for your wingman instead giving you a better opportunity to get behind him (if your wingman is still alive) and b) if you stay behind the second 109 in the horizontal while he's going up and down in the vertical he will eventually disengage and run for home (is fuel burn modelled in the AI? they don't seem to need to worry about any other physics!!) and you can follow them at a distance and pick them off as they prepare to land.

It won't leave you feeling very heroic but it's another option...

"Get closer - have faith in your ability to improve your position. Don't feel 'rushed' to fire for fear of losing the opportunity. Get in close and deal maximum damage!"

This is good advice. While I was testing to see if 200yds convergence was the correct default, I had to hold off taking high lead-angle snapshots or other 'grabbed' opportunities because they would make it harder to tell what the best range was. What I found when biding my time and waiting until I had the perfect scenario before shooting was that the total combat time from merge to destruction of the enemy aircraft was very much shorter. Two provisos though. Firstly, getting closer than convergence means you need to offset your aim lower and to one side and, if very close, you may hit with only half your guns. Secondly, in a real online battle you may have other enemies to worry about so taking your time may have to be balanced against the risk of being attacked by someone else before you can do any damage to the first one so leaving you with two undamaged enemies to fight.

==============================================================================================================================

56sqn US@R

Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16Gb RAM, Intel Core i3/i5/i7 6xxx @ 2700 MHz

If people want practice at getting close, I'm going to make an outlandish suggestion by suggesting another sim, and say and it'd be a good thing to go download Rise Of Flight (free version) and have a quick play.

The inaccuracy of the WWI birds, absense of gunsights and limited ammo forces you go much closer than you'd expect and teaches you to wait until you're sure you're close enough and with a good shot.

It's good practice and it means you can transfer it to your gunnery in DCS.

The sights in DCS allow you to make long shots if needed, but lull you into thinking that it's an effective way to fight.