P51D Videos

JimMack

I have been working on this for the last two days. I hope you like it.

Really nice Mike B. I can relate to this as you have certainly captured "that feeling".

<S>

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

I love the contrast that some of those videos bring. In your video the modern pilot (with 9 years of experience on it!) says that the plane will kill you if you do not keep to the strict "by the book" approach to flying, and that it has vicious stalling characteristics.

While in this video at the beging WW2 pilots say that it was an easy plane to fly with no bad habits xD

Difference between generations?:music_whistling:

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I love the contrast that some of those videos bring. In your video the modern pilot (with 9 years of experience on it!) says that the plane will kill you if you do not keep to the strict "by the book" approach to flying, and that it has vicious stalling characteristics.

While in this video at the beginning WW2 pilots say that it was an easy plane to fly with no bad habits xD

I think the difference is in the equipment really. Those older pilots got their first taste of the air in those times. I started DCS a year or two ago in a P51. I got good enough that I just hopped in and off I went thinking nothing of it. Then, I found jets. I flogged an F-15 for a long time and got it all down. It was so easy to fly, it was ridiculous. Then a year off flying in zero gravity and no atmosphere and DCS came out with a Spitfire. So here I am after a couple weeks setting up my controls on the P51 and the Spitfire and my take offs and landings are just on the wrong side of the verge still. The equipment spoils you. Jets have no twitchiness and stuff and so hopping from jets to tail dragging piston pounders is more of a shock than the other way around. People are people. Being born in the 50s when a 15" black and white tv was a special treat, these old flics are the best. That bouncy landing at 16:20 or so sure looks like mine ..on a good day. I Love the piston pounders.

When you dedicate one PC for DCS only, I fear, there is no turning back.

I tend to almost run from these videos into my sim pit. ;)

I bow in the presence of everyone who has ever had control of plane.

It has to be life changing.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

09:30 "If Mustang goes into a spin it takes 9000 feet to get out of it."

Gotta check this in DCS! :D

:pilotfly:

You get out of a spin within seconds and I would say 500ft tops but it is realy hard to get into a spin in that plane.

Not to mention that real life pilots like Don Bryan and Richard Candaleria used snap rolls in combat to get out of bad situations.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

Well.. Yes.

Nice :)

BTW very good video here:

@ 14:30

"It doesn't whip over like some other planes do and has very little tendency to drop into a spin."

My channel:

Thanks for this! I smiled trough the video, and my respect for the guys who flew/fly this thing IRL went up a notch, again :D

those two pilots in the video truly were humble guys and seemed really nice fellas.

and she is a beauty, isn't she?

While in this video at the beging WW2 pilots say that it was an easy plane to fly with no bad habits xD

I think you'll find that the point of reference for WWII American fighter pilots would be the P-40 and P-39, both of which had some serious vices, especially the later model P-40s, whose landing and taxiing qualities were at least as shall we say, 'questionable' as the Messerschmidt 109's was reputed to be. The P-40's trim characteristics were also considered quite demanding (bordering on vicious) for that era, according to most sources.

Modern pilots' point of reference is usually something far more aerodynamically advanced, generally benign and most likely includes tricycle landing gear. 70 years' worth of advancement in science, engineering and technology does tend to spoil you a bit.

Still, the P-51 was cutting edge for its time, and was a high performance aircraft designed to destroy other high performance aircraft. By definition, it would be assumed to need a lot of attention from its pilot. Just not quite so much as for a Warhawk or a Lightning.

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

09:30 "If Mustang goes into a spin it takes 9000 feet to get out of it."

Gotta check this in DCS! :D

:pilotfly:

I am ok with someone exaggerating danger.

I would have said 140,000 feet. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Kermie Cam is back in the Mustang.

5e Escadre Virtuelle du Canada / 5 Virtual Wing of Canada

Intel i9-9900KF - 8 Cores/16 Threads - 3,6/5,0GHZ / 48GB RAM / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD / Crucial P5 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD / WD Gold 2TB Enterprise Class HDD / NVIDIA RTX 3090 / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Warthog / F/A-18C Hornet HOTAS ADD-ON Grip / WINWING Super Taurus Throttle / Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals / Win 10 Pro

Modules owned: P-51D, F-86F, A-10C, M-2000C, F-5E, F-15C, F/A-18C, F-16C

Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Syria.