Next aircraft speculation

Farlander

...the Veggin is for my Swiss friends...

No offense, but I assume you mean "...the Viggen is for my Swedish friends... "?

Switzerland has never had anything to do with Viggens what I know of...

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

My ideal next aircraft (after the F-14) is definitely the F-111C. IMO it's probably not out of the question- The F-111 has a fair bit in common with the F-14 (swing wings, TF-30 engines and possibly some avionics?) and possesses a lot of tech that Heatblur already developed for the Viggen (A2G radar, anti-ship missiles, recon systems etc.)

But I doubt that it's what they're planning for their next release :cry:

I would certainly like to see Panavia Tornado...if possible on the GR series, whichever is acquirable. The F111 does not have an auxiliary air to air ability. The Tornado can do air to air on emergency situation plus its also swing wing and got cannons.

Really hope it's the A-6E...would be the perfect next step for the Multicrew, Grumman, Carrier Born etc...

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

I see the Tornado as good option as well.

The AJS Viggen basically is the Swedish Tornado and a few things were approached the same way when the Tonka was developed.

What variant I would like to see? Depends on how good the Heatblur guys are.

I personally hope on a GR.1B. Why? Well, for the everyday reason, it gives us a lot of options.

First of all, the British jets had one big advantage. They had fuel inside the fin.

Not a lot, but that classified the British jets as a strategic bomber/striker whereas the other Tonka variants only were tactical bombers/strikes.

It was enough to take of with full reheat, full load out and the big wing tanks, which the other European nations didn't have as well. More endurance is always good...

The GR.1B is a GR.1 with a few more wires. The Tornado was quite modular, the software played the main role.

My dad was a WSO on an IDS from '87 to 2000. During his training (TTTE) in Cottesmore he also learned a lot about the other variants.

In his squadron in Germany they had a software so they could fly form the back only with the radar stick, for some time at least.

No pedals, no throttle, but only a stick ... :pilotfly: :helpsmilie:

So therefore with a GR.1B, I see options on using all the weapons, the GR.1 could deploy but including the Sea Eagle.

We could get unguided bombs, guided bombs, JP223 dispensers, Alarm missiles, the TIALD pod and few more things.

At the moment I am trying to find out, whether the AGM-65 could be deployed or not.

I repeatedly red on different sources, that the Italian and British integrated it and the launcher for the Alarm ARM is the same, but I can't find pictures...

For all those, who will say that this gives us another 'can do every thing'-airplane, the GR.1 still requires a lot of work to handle effectively.

I know the Tornado very well, but never flew it obviously. I know the Viggen just a little from DCS, but I like it.

From my point of view, and I say that from an engineers perspective and close person to former tornado developers and crews, the Tornado is a bit like a slightly better Viggen.

Or say it in another way, its different and a bit newer. The Swedish designed the Viggen for defense of their known grounds, the tornado is a bit more a striker for unknown territory.

Alternatively I suggest the other nations counterpart, an IDS.

At least we get AGM-88, MW-1 dispenser, AS.34 Kormoran, guided and unguided stuff and maybe a B-61 for total destruction. Still sounds good.

Edited by Bananabrai

Alias in Discord: Mailman

I actually don't have my hopes high for a multi-variant-module, although the tornado variants all handle quite similar.

The masses are different though, and the engine performance is as well. The German ECR's have the newest engines. I also did't mention the RECCE and the GR.1A.

I guess we get most out of a GR.1B. Not that the task and equipment of an ECR is not interesting, ODIN, ELS and FLIR sounds good, but no guns for a striker sounds worse to me.

I would rather get one version and see improvements of current released projects and completely other A/C make it into the game.

No offense here, ECR is great, just my opinion

Alias in Discord: Mailman

The Tornado GR series, whichever series of GR is doable for Heatblur will be fine as long it has guns. It melds better with F-14, having those swing wing and it is not single focus like the F-111 which does not even have a auxiliary ability on air to air.

The Tornado can go for variety of ground attack roles as well as emergency attempt to take on air targets like...maybe bombers or some helos nearby with cannons or some self-defense sidewinders.

Finally, its almost fully retired aircraft.

With the above points, its got great market sale value. Well, just my thoughts and opinion on the Tornado series. :).

I also would not mind another naval aircraft that would be a challenge to land on carrier without those HUD ILS lineup info help. Something like A-4 Skyhawk or F-8 Crusader. A lovely challenge indeed.:thumbup:

The AJS Viggen basically is the Swedish Tornado and a few things were approached the same way when the Tonka was developed.

What variant I would like to see? Depends on how good the Heatblur guys are.

I personally hope on a GR.1B. Why? Well, for the everyday reason, it gives us a lot of options.

First of all, the British jets had one big advantage. They had fuel inside the fin.

Not a lot, but that classified the British jets as a strategic bomber/striker whereas the other Tonka variants only were tactical bombers/strikes.

It was enough to take of with full reheat, full load out and the big wing tanks, which the other European nations didn't have as well. More endurance is always good...

The GR.1B is a GR.1 with a few more wires. The Tornado was quite modular, the software played the main role.

My dad was a WSO on an IDS from '87 to 2000. During his training (TTTE) in Cottesmore he also learned a lot about the other variants.

In his squadron in Germany they had a software so they could fly form the back only with the radar stick, for some time at least.

No pedals, no throttle, but only a stick ... :pilotfly: :helpsmilie:

So therefore with a GR.1B, I see options on using all the weapons, the GR.1 could deploy but including the Sea Eagle.

We could get unguided bombs, guided bombs, JP223 dispensers, Alarm missiles, the TIALD pod and few more things.

At the moment I am trying to find out, whether the AGM-65 could be deployed or not.

I repeatedly red on different sources, that the Italian and British integrated it and the launcher for the Alarm ARM is the same, but I can't find pictures...

For all those, who will say that this gives us another 'can do every thing'-airplane, the GR.1 still requires a lot of work to handle effectively.

I know the Tornado very well, but never flew it obviously. I know the Viggen just a little from DCS, but I like it.

From my point of view, and I say that from an engineers perspective and close person to former tornado developers and crews, the Tornado is a bit like a slightly better Viggen.

Or say it in another way, its different and a bit newer. The Swedish designed the Viggen for defense of their known grounds, the tornado is a bit more a striker for unknown territory.

Alternatively I suggest the other nations counterpart, an IDS.

At least we get AGM-88, MW-1 dispenser, AS.34 Kormoran, guided and unguided stuff and maybe a B-61 for total destruction. Still sounds good.

Good post :thumbup:

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I'm fairly sure that only German ECRs don't carry cannons, and Italian ones do have one.

I agree that a GR1B would be a nice variant since it would probably come closer to the early German/Italian Tornadoes (which could also be used for anti-shipping missions) than something like, say, a GR4. Honestly as an Italian guy who loves the Viggen, I'd completely lose my **** if Heatblur made a Tornado.

I totally agree with you. The Tornado and the Viggen are indeed based on the same concept.

I'm very interested in the differences between the british and the german Tornados, especially in the very first Tornado (GR.1/IDS). I did not know about the additional fuel tanks in the fins of the british GR.1, so that's something new for me, thanks! I've also heard that it was not possible in the british GR.1. to project the radar picture onto the map display, like it was possible on the german IDS. Do you know anything about that or any other differences between the two?

I actually don't have my hopes high for a multi-variant-module, although the tornado variants all handle quite similar.

The masses are different though, and the engine performance is as well. The German ECR's have the newest engines. I also did't mention the RECCE and the GR.1A.

Here's something I've also wondered about: Is the RECCE actually a modified Tornado variant or is it just the standard IDS Tornado with a RECCE pod attached?

I'm fairly sure that only German ECRs don't carry cannons, and Italian ones do have one.

I'm pretty sure the italian ECRs don't carry guns too, as the space is needed for the emitter location system.

Italian ECR Tornado without guns:

Italian_Air_Force_Panavia_Tornado_ECR.JPG

IDS Tornado with guns for comparison:

4568-german-air-force-panavia-tornado-ids_PlanespottersNet_307706_aba42a49b0.jpg

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I totally agree with you. The Tornado and the Viggen are indeed based on the same concept.

I'm very interested in the differences between the british and the german Tornados, especially in the very first Tornado (GR.1/IDS). I did not know about the additional fuel tanks in the fins of the british GR.1, so that's something new for me, thanks! I've also heard that it was not possible in the british GR.1. to project the radar picture onto the map display, like it was possible on the german IDS. Do you know anything about that or any other differences between the two?

Here's something I've also wondered about: Is the RECCE actually a modified Tornado variant or is it just the standard IDS Tornado with a RECCE pod attached?

I'm pretty sure the italian ECRs don't carry guns too, as the space is needed for the emitter location system.

Italian ECR Tornado without guns:

Italian_Air_Force_Panavia_Tornado_ECR.JPG

IDS Tornado with guns for comparison:

4568-german-air-force-panavia-tornado-ids_PlanespottersNet_307706_aba42a49b0.jpg

Ah alright. I thought both only carried one gun, while the other was removed for extra equipment. Guess I was wrong.