F-16C Viper vs F/A - 18C hornet

Avarax

Honestly get the hornet. The Viper is pretty bare bones for anything other than putzing around or some online dogfighting.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The correct answer to all these "Which ..." questions is, of course, "F-14".

Always the Cat! No reason to buy anything else afterwards! It does A2G, it does A2A, it does carrier landings, it's beautiful, it's not hampered by FBW technology constantly interfering, it's "old school". It offers a lot... except JHMCS, 9X, and some smart munitions (thanks Chenney) but it gains the most brokenly OP sub 30nmi missile in the game!

Of the F/A-18C vs F-16C debate... the Hornet is, IMO, a better choice because it offers a wider array of mission subsets than the Viper does currently. It also offers the ability to land on the boat, which IS fun.

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

The answer is buy them both. We all did or will.

Not a matter of “if” but “when”. :)

The “which is better” debate is a silly one. That’s like saying, “which is a better tool—a hammer or a pair of pliers?” Depends on what you are doing. They are BOTH awesome aircraft. Listen to BuzzU—get ‘em both! The order you do so, well, that’s up to you!

F-16 all day every day. It's beautiful. The Hornet is an ugly plane. Pilots who transferred from the Tomcat to the Hornet equated it to going from a Ferrari to a minivan. Get the F-16. And the F-14.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Only one pilot said that and it's wrong. The Viper is more the Ferrari and the Tomcat is a big heavy muscle car.

Buzz

@Whiskey11. Agree with you. The Tom gives me the most boner! Just a magnificent experience in VR. The Hornet SHITS on the -16 for now in terms of completeness, and will hold its own in any role against a Viper, even when they're both complete.

The Lawn Dart doesn't do well at the boat. If that doesn't clinch the deal - I dont know what will.

For me: the Hornet is a daily driver, capable...Full up mission ready. I "operate" it.

The cat is is the obscenely gorgeous muscle car I take out on weekends, take to the boat and actually "fly". Shit I enjoy it so much.

F14 Its a high quality module, and it has its own charm as a classic cold war icon, but its I wouldn't necessarily recommend the tomcat unless you are genuinely into old school cold war stuff, or if you have a buddy willing to fill in as backseater for the crew teamwork experience.

Besides having the longest stick ( Aim54) the F14B is otherwise ancient museum piece in comparison to the F16C and F18C, particularly in terms of overall avionics and weapon types, and lacking any FBW ( or at least digital flight control augmentation, although later in life F14B's were reffited with such), making it a much more temperamental aircraft in handling.

F14D would have been much better as a contemporary to such aircraft and for 21st century DCS flying but i digress

Overall i would probably say from the two Hornet, simply because its in a most complete state from those two. F16C is still very EA, and more immature than when the F/A18C was on day 1 EA release.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I just got the hornet and it's doing the job well for a newbie like me, very easy to master, modern avionics.. But she's a little bit too much on rails, maybe it's FBW.. Was expecting something more temperamental. The only downside for now is that she's not the prettiest bird imho, the Cat is sexier hands down.

Intel Core i5-13600k 32GB ddr5 5.6GHz - RTX3080Ti 12GB - Thrustmaster T.16000M TWCS - Meta Quest 3 - Win10 Pro - My YT Channel

I just got the hornet and it's doing the job well for a newbie like me, very easy to master, modern avionics.. But she's a little bit too much on rails, maybe it's FBW.. Was expecting something more temperamental. The only downside for now is that she's not the prettiest bird imho, the Cat is sexier hands down.

The Tomcat really looks like something made to do war (at the least for me who born in the 80's).

I don't find the Hornet necessarily ugly, the F-35 on the other hand...

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I concur Top Jockey, the Hornet looks great, the "Fugly" award for fighters definitely goes to the F-35 and F-22.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

I concur Top Jockey, the Hornet looks great, the "Fugly" award for fighters definitely goes to the F-35 and F-22.

Huh. In the same way, I suppose, an aging 1918 fighter jock would have thought the Spitfire with its weird single deck wings and horrible closed canopy (there was an ace or a fighter designer or someone saying that a fighter pilot cannot be effective if he cannot feel the wind on his face to gauge airspeed) looks fugly! New paradigm of fighter design: F-22, F-35, PAK-FA, J-20, even the future Tempest all have the same aesthetics (which, of course, follows from function).

Tempest-1000617076.jpg

Anyway, little known fact but the Galactic Time Lords in Charge of Judging Aviation Aesthetics have published an official proclamation of the "Best Looking Jet Fighters of the 20th Century" based on objective analysis and evidence and is infallible and indisputable (after acknowledging that the 20th Century jet fighters are the best looking of all jet fighters of all time) .

In order:

(1) Su-27

(2) F-4

(3) F-14

(4) everything else

The Hornet is the master jack of all trades. Even in its still incomplete state, it's the Swiss army knife of the sky. Great buy, even at full price.

Agreed. The hornet is really an amazing module, and will only get better as it's completed. The carrier aspect adds a lot more depth and challenge.

The F14 is amazing too, but I wouldn't call it a "relaxing" plane to bring into combat. I personally enjoy the extra challenge, especially with the flight model, but it might not be for everyone.

The F16 is really special too. I've been spending the bulk of my time in the viper recently.

I don't regret buying all 3, but if I had to pick one, it would probably be the hornet.

run come save me

Huh. In the same way, I suppose, an aging 1918 fighter jock would have thought the Spitfire with its weird single deck wings and horrible closed canopy (there was an ace or a fighter designer or someone saying that a fighter pilot cannot be effective if he cannot feel the wind on his face to gauge airspeed) looks fugly! New paradigm of fighter design: F-22, F-35, PAK-FA, J-20, even the future Tempest all have the same aesthetics (which, of course, follows from function).

Tempest-1000617076.jpg

Anyway, little known fact but the Galactic Time Lords in Charge of Judging Aviation Aesthetics have published an official proclamation of the "Best Looking Jet Fighters of the 20th Century" based on objective analysis and evidence and is infallible and indisputable (after acknowledging that the 20th Century jet fighters are the best looking of all jet fighters of all time) .

In order:

(1) Su-27

(2) F-4

(3) F-14

(4) everything else

It looks like a boat. Butt ugly for a plane. For me anyway.

Buzz

Only one pilot said that and it's wrong. The Viper is more the Ferrari and the Tomcat is a big heavy muscle car.
I don't think so. A muscle car can only go straight. Especially in the 80's they were worthless. The Tomcat despite it's size is very agile and could hang with the best of them. Although in game the Viper is great, and I love the module, it doesn't come close to the Tomcat in game. The Viper, like the Hornet, with it's fly by wire is too easy to fly. Just turn sideways and yank the stick back to an inch within blackout. The Tomcat is constantly adjusting inputs from stick an rudder. You "fly" the damn thing. For ground ops I'll usually take the Viper just because it's so damn easy to get on target with unguided munitions but if there's air to air involved, the Tomcat every time. In VR I'm just constantly smiling. Even during the flight to the target area. Always trimming, adjusting, etc. The Viper is just set course to steer point, and wait till you're there. If anything, that's a lot more muscle car to me.

I don't think so. A muscle car can only go straight. Especially in the 80's they were worthless. The Tomcat despite it's size is very agile and could hang with the best of them. Although in game the Viper is great, and I love the module, it doesn't come close to the Tomcat in game. The Viper, like the Hornet, with it's fly by wire is too easy to fly. Just turn sideways and yank the stick back to an inch within blackout. The Tomcat is constantly adjusting inputs from stick an rudder. You "fly" the damn thing. For ground ops I'll usually take the Viper just because it's so damn easy to get on target with unguided munitions but if there's air to air involved, the Tomcat every time. In VR I'm just constantly smiling. Even during the flight to the target area. Always trimming, adjusting, etc. The Viper is just set course to steer point, and wait till you're there. If anything, that's a lot more muscle car to me.

Well the Tomcat has the muscle car quality of being very powerful yet likewise very unreliable

Well the Tomcat has the muscle car quality of being very powerful yet likewise very unreliable
Only the A model. The B and D had upgraded engines that didn't have nearly as many issues, and a lot more thrust. The A for instance had to be launched with afterburner while the B and D would launch at mil.

New paradigm of fighter design: F-22, F-35, PAK-FA, J-20, even the future Tempest all have the same aesthetics (which, of course, follows from function).

The F-35 doesn't really fit with the others mentioned here.

Unlike the others, it looks ungainly because of its fat proportions which are not due to the LO function, but the requirement to use the same design as the Marine VTOL variant which means the fuselage had to be thick enough to fit a vertical lift fan.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!