F-18 or F-14?

FiringPin

Please expand on your “seems to be” assertion.

I can second his assertion. I can only go into so much detail because of Rule 1.16, but the F-14's current behavior regarding Direct Lift Control and AOA directly contradicts NATOPS. It was fine before the last update, but now it's definitely off.

The problem with the F-14 is that the present FM seems to be questionable in a few areas, which is bad if don't want to shoot, but only fly.

Still waiting for a more realistic MiG-21 FM since many years, so I'll wait until the F-14 (and maybe even the MiG-21) FM are corrected.

The F-14's FM is one of the best ingame imo, and Heatblur are quite quick to correct any issues one may find, so I don't understand that complaint.

The F/A-18's FM on the other hand I am not entirely convinced by, esp. the g-limiter override transition feels very unrealistic (way too janky), and despite repeated attempts at letting the devs know this there still has been no fix or even response. This annoys me ofcourse.

Note: My main concern when it comes to all the planes in DCS is wether the flight model is correct or not, it's what a flight sim FIRST & FOREMOST is about if you ask me, hence it's the very first thing I test and go into great detail with.

After that I will start concerning myself with the weapons systems etc, something I am a lot less worried about having to wait with fixes to.

Edited by Hummingbird

The F-14's FM is one of the best ingame imo, and Heatblur are quite quick to correct any issues one may find, so I don't understand that complaint.

That's a copy and paste from WindyTX yesterdays post:

Downwind on an ISA day Jet weighs almost exactly 50k I emptied the gun and 6K of fuel.On speed AOA appears to be 145kts whereas NATOPs has it at 130.

This seems to be since the last update and on a hot day in PG at 50K you almost need Mil power downwind.

Am I missing something ?

-----

The high AoA departure behavior posted by ChockP51 looks rather strange as well, but there's too little info on this issue yet.

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

That's a copy and paste from WindyTX yesterdays post:

Downwind on an ISA day Jet weighs almost exactly 50k I emptied the gun and 6K of fuel.On speed AOA appears to be 145kts whereas NATOPs has it at 130.

This seems to be since the last update and on a hot day in PG at 50K you almost need Mil power downwind.

Am I missing something ?

-----

The high AoA departure behavior posted by ChockP51 looks rather strange as well, but there's too little info on this issue yet.

If HB can come that close to hitting the NATOPS numbers, then the F-14 FM is light years ahead of the F-18 FM. The F-18 FM is a mess in comparison... especially on take off and recovery around the boat.

Back on topic, what else do you need to know to make the decision?

I have been in love with the F-14, F-15 for many years. I have always wanted one in the game, but now that I have been learning the F-18 I feel satisfied, I do still love the F-14, but I think it's a lot more complex to fly than than the F-8. Maybe one day we will get the F-18 E/F as a upgrade. I watch then fly here everyday and they are a beast.

If HB can come that close to hitting the NATOPS numbers, then the F-14 FM is light years ahead of the F-18 FM.

130 vs 145 is close? I'm designing FMs for other sims since decades and any greater deviation than 3kts, especially at such low speeds, is not even remotely acceptable.

That said, Heatblur is already aware of this issue.

As soon as they fix this bug, I'll buy it.

130 vs 145 is close? I'm designing FMs for other sims since decades and any greater deviation than 3kts, especially at such low speeds, is not even remotely acceptable.

That said, Heatblur is already aware of this issue.

As soon as they fix this bug, I'll buy it.

Buy it? You talk as if you already have it in the other thread...

Once again the issues with the F-14 FM are small, and they are quickly being resolved as they are found (I reported several myself). This is a lot more than what can be said about many other modules in this sim.

Overall the F-14 has by far the most realistic FM in DCS IMHO, and the devs are fantastic when it comes to responding to feedback.

Edited by Hummingbird

Seems I'm one of the few who doesn't really like the F-14, just not my cup of tea. Don't agree with that it's hard to fly either by the way. Just different. But it's more the memory of Top Gun rather than liking the plane itself.

So I would opt for the F/A-18. Which is great. I like modern. And I find it rather childish that it's classified as a toy by some on this forum. That's BS. It's just a matter of preference.

Seems I'm one of the few who doesn't really like the F-14, just not my cup of tea. Don't agree with that it's hard to fly either by the way. Just different. But it's more the memory of Top Gun rather than liking the plane itself.

So I would opt for the F/A-18. Which is great. I like modern. And I find it rather childish that it's classified as a toy by some on this forum. That's BS. It's just a matter of preference.

Ditto

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the “Toy” comparisons for the F-18 have mainly come about because that was the general feeling of real F-14 pilots/ground crew about it, and we do have a couple of those here. They are of course absolutely right ;). I joke, I joke. There is always some banter between different aircraft crews and their jet is always the best.

Honestly though the two aircraft are so dissimilar in the way they fly, their technology level and the way they go about things that I don’t think you can or should really compare them. The clear answer is you need both. I have a blast flying the Tomcat, specially with a friend as talking ballast in the back but I’m probably more combat effective in the Hornet but you’d hope so as it’s a much more modern jet. I’d say they are both must haves.

With all of the above in mind, I think we can all agree that the F-16 is better than both of them.;):megalol:

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Gives the impression that you already own the module.

Because I'm asking a question about technical details? Seriously?

@dawgie79

A personal preference and/or connection is a great thing, like e.g. Top Gun in DCS.

The F-14 was the most advanced and most impressive plane when I was young.

Once the Heatblur flies as it should and knowing that I can silence the ballast in the back, I will fly it.

A few month ago I've seen an F/A-18 with the updated software perform at an airshow and it was incredible impressive to watch, the high AoA maneuvering unbelieveable.

Unfortunately it doesn't look even remotely impressive on a video.

If I would have to make the choice what to fly IRL the F/A-18 would be a no brainer.

Both are meant to be the best killing machines, nothing else and as a pilot I would want to fly the best airplane with the lowest workload and (almost) carefree handling qualities.

I wouldn't care at all if it handles/feels lifeless like a videogame or like a 'real' airplane.

And last but not least I fully agree with Deano87 that the F-16 beats both....in DCS that is....except for the F-5. Still the most enjoyable plane for me in DCS and since the F-16 is FBW, it can't be beaten ;)

Edited by bbrz

Nah I tend to agree. I enjoy the the Tomcat, but it is largely Topgun induced nostalgia and those massive Phoenix missiles that make me fly it. If I could only have one module now it would be the Hornet. Fortunately I can have more than one so when I need my early 80’s Topgun fix I can jump in the Tomcat, but when playing a full mission give me a Hornet any day of the week.

F14 is great but the hard work is done in the back which makes it easy in the front with Jester at least until you get to the dogfight part or land it on the ship. If you have someone to fly with then the 14 can be way more rewarding than probably any other module but if you are on your own 90% of the time then get the F18c.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Oh my, that sure is a tough one. I fly them both from the day one. Hornet is just an amazing plane in all its abilities and capabilities. It can do everything and it does it pretty well. For me the way it handles all the situations feels almost like a cheating.

But the Tomcat... First I must say I am not a big Topgun movie fan, I don´t think the plane looks as beautiful as other people think. It does not have the detailed HUD like the Hornet, in the cockpit there are gauges everywhere instead of beautiful MFDs and dogfighting in this one is a hard, hard work (or maybe I am just still too lame). I should also say that I fly it only solo. But boy, when those two strong engines kick in, you can really feel the power. Flying this plane is so enjoyable and such an experience that I can´t think I can even describe it. It can do a lot of things, bombing, fighting, it is a capable aircraft and I really like it a lot.

So, which one should you get? Both. But if you can choose only one? Then it depends on what you want. If you want the pure capability both air to air and air to ground with little compromises, pick the Hornet. If you want to feel the pure joy of flying an aircraft, taming it, learing it while also doing a lot of stuff like air to air combat and ground pounding, then pick the Tomcat.

GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X | i5 9600k @4.7 GHz | Noctua NH-U14S | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti @OCed | Patriot 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD | Win10 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + WarBRD | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | 1440p AOC Q2790PQU

I enjoy flying the Tomcat around the boat a lot more that the Hornet. It just FEELS more like I am flying it rather than just jockying a throttle back and forth.

That's great news, thanx smile.gif The Hornet is like most other FBW airplanes. When I flew my first FBW plane IRL I was surprised that the feel is basically completely gone.

It's like painting by numbers and I pity the poor pilots who never had a chance to fly 'real' airplanes.

Thanx for the hints guys; much appreciated. I've been flying the Hornet almost exclusively since its release, beside my beloved DCS helicopters.

And, honestly spoken, I discover myself getting bored more and more of the F/A-18C, because it literally "feels" like a flying computer - thankx to FBW :(. After endless times of "throttle-jockying" my TM Warthog got a decent greasing recently :smilewink:.

The "feeling of flying" in this bird has almost gone completely; and switchology/avionics is not everything, at least for me.

Well, I'm making serious considerations to purchase Heatblurs F-14 Tomcat; mainly for getting back this "feeling of flying" in a modern fighter jet.

And not waiting for the upcoming F-16, because I know that FBW control in the Viper is even worse/severer as in the F/A-18C.

Edited by NevSmith

I think the “Toy” comparisons for the F-18 have mainly come about because that was the general feeling of real F-14 pilots/ground crew about it, and we do have a couple of those here. They are of course absolutely right ;). I joke, I joke. There is always some banter between different aircraft crews and their jet is always the best.

With all of the above in mind, I think we can all agree that the F-16 is better than both of them.;):megalol:

In that regard, using their own words; I pity the poor pilots who can't handle progress. ;)

F-16 will be great. Except that I'll miss the boat, really like the boat. :)

It does not have the detailed HUD like the Hornet, in the cockpit there are gauges everywhere instead of beautiful MFDs

Words spoken by a true FBW computer kid generation pilot.

So you will never enjoy flying the superb F-5 or the very nice MiG-15.

Gauges everwhere? Not more than in the F/A-18 but contrary to the Hornet you don't have to push various buttons first to get the necessary info when you need it;)

@NevSmith,

you are correct about the F-16s FWB but the completely undisturbed visibilty is unmatched.

Promised, it will be a totally new experience to fly, either very low and fast or in a vertical climb. The 360° view is breathtaking...as are the F-16s visuals.

Edited by bbrz

While both are amazingly modeled and for that reason you can't really go wrong, they are totally different beasts.

The Tomcat is an old-school aircraft that is a challenge to fly and feels very visceral.

The Hornet is far more slick.

It comes down to what you want. Personally I love the challenge of older aircraft, but others love the newer tech.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Words spoken by a true FBW computer kid generation pilot.

So you will never enjoy flying the superb F-5 or the very nice MiG-15.

Gauges everwhere? Not more than in the F/A-18 but contrary to the Hornet you don't have to push various buttons first to get the necessary info when you need it;)

Did you even read my whole post? Or are you just trying to pick some of my thoughts out of context? Either way, I absolutely love Tomcat ;) And, please, don´t tell me what I will enjoy or not. You don´t know me and you have no idea. Cheers.

Edited by Kubiz

GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X | i5 9600k @4.7 GHz | Noctua NH-U14S | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti @OCed | Patriot 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD | Win10 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + WarBRD | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | 1440p AOC Q2790PQU

For me, it is the f14. Unfortunately, there are too many systems missing in the hornet. And because these systems are complex, it takes too much time to come. The F18c will certainly be a very good plane but not now, the f14 is much more advanced in development.

Did you even read my whole post? Or are you just trying to pick some of my thoughts out of context? You don´t know me and you have no idea.

Sorry, you are correct, but no need to get upset ;)

Sorry, you are correct, but no need to get upset ;)

No offense taken :)

I'm an F18 guy myself. But I think when it's all said and done I will buy the F14 cause it was done so well. Seems like a person who dig's flight sim, fighter jets would surely have to afford that one in the virtual hanger! Does anyone know how complete the F14 is compared to the 18? When I create a mission I only have two rows of AA weapons and some fuel pods and that's all I can really find.

I also ordered that F16. But what I really sort of crave, is that Carrier Module they working on!

And improved air base communications! Working hangers, ready room, Naval radio LSO activity!

That will be a blast.