Spotting Distance... again

bell_rj

I can’t read that because it’s too utterly boring but I can’t fathom how it’s related to, a game. Today. On today’s displays and VR headsets.

This isn’t a purely technical mil sim trainer. It’s a game that has to look nice and immersive.

Seeing targets at 2x their size at such close distance looks horrible. You claim people playing that other game don’t complain about it but you aren’t getting the opinion of anyone who would just quit and never play something that awful looking.

Taking the scale of the target out of context with its surroundings is just ridiculous. No current game would implement something like that.

The phenomenon that determines the size of distant objects isn’t “science” I believe this is considered “art”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_(graphical)

You haven't read it because it's 'boring'? WTF?

If you actually read it you will see that all of your points are adequately addressed and also that increased resolution of monitors in the future would not impact the findings significantly.

Nobody is suggesting that targets at close range should be rendered at 2x the size. Look at the graphs supplied in the paper.

How in hell can you be so ignorant to dismiss the technical paper if you haven't even read it? Is it because you don't understand it?

So 'smart scaling' doesn't work in DCS. Fine. Doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist or should be ignored either.

Monitors

If you buying screen for DCS and you are concerned about spotting you have to keep pixel size at good size

21in monitor at 1080p thats our reference of pixel size

if you want 2k res 2560*1440 you are looking at 27-30inch monitor if you want 4k screen you have to look at 40-42 inch monitors in this way you will keep pixel size if you buy 4k screen 27inch for example you will havre very small pixel and this directly lead you to very very poor spotting in dcs

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I was originally running a 3 screen 1920x1080 and don't recall things being too difficult to spot and now mostly just use a single 2560x1440 for the 3d stuff. I get the feeling that things are harder to spot now. That could be due to a number of things. My eyesight is not getting better, and DCS World has gone through a lot of changes since 1.5x

Some of it is because of our need to see the whole cockpit - so we artificially have a wider FOV than necessary to try and fit more of the world view into our main monitor - which is why I preferred 3 monitor setups because they provide more realistic peripheral vision, but like Random - can't justify the expense of upgrading on a whim.

Another consideration to bear in mind when choosing, is that having a non standard screen can mean a LOT of fiddling with FOVs in LUAs to get snapviews & default FOVs working in the new screen setup. That is one reason I stopped using 3 screens.