What PC should I build?

GAWD, those SSHD's...oh man. had 2 of them in Raid-0 and guess what, well better not.

In less then 4 years both drives went dead. 8GB SSD + 500GB platters

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I never had micro stutters when i was using HDDs. Never. But it's also idiotic to tell *anyone* to buy traditional HDD these days. Not just DCS, but the prices have come down so much on SSDs.

Because you had enough RAM and the system never had to actually use the HDD while in flight. If you would buy 16GB RAM today, a HDD, use high graphic settings and fly the multiplayer missions which are heavy on the system/have a lot of different units this time I can promise you you will get stutters at some point. Not so if you had 32GB RAM in the same situation. He hasn't had stutters because I'm wrong with what I said but because he never forced the system into a situation where a SSD is of advantage (in-flight). That's why initially I said you can get stutters and not will get stutters.

Explains why I haven't. Telling one something is in no way shape or form....make it credible. Again I'm not experiencing any micro stutters at all. None. DCS is on it's own drive on my system.

Nice misinterpreting my posts, the best part is the "make it credible" as If I haven't already. Look up the definition of the words can and will have and you might - I hope - notice a difference. All go ahead and stop buy SSD for DCS and buy HDDs, hurry up, wanna see them "what should i upgrade?" threads. What are you waiting for guys? Sell your SSDs and buy HDDs right now because they're 30$ cheaper! It makes no difference trust me!

Edited by Der Hirte

I went back to my 386SX-20 with a 40MB Platter...and I am real happy :)

What can I say ?

What is a SSD btw ?

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

GAWD, those SSHD's...oh man. had 2 of them in Raid-0 and guess what, well better not.

In less then 4 years both drives went dead. 8GB SSD + 500GB platters

LOLOLOLOL. I mistyped SSD with SSHD (I'm used to typing ssh for work purposes). And there actually is such a thing as SSHD. I knew of the hybrid drives, but had no idea they were called SSHDs. LOL. I'm still laughing about it.

So, just to be clear, I meant that price is no long a barrier to entry for SSD's.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Because you had enough RAM and the system never had to actually use the HDD while in flight. If you would buy 16GB RAM today, a HDD, use high graphic settings and fly the multiplayer missions which are heavy on the system/have a lot of different units this time I can promise you you will get stutters at some point. Not so if you had 32GB RAM in the same situation. He hasn't had stutters because I'm wrong with what I said but because he never forced to system into a situation where a SSD is of advantage (in-flight). That's why initially I said you can get stutters and not will get stutters.

Nice misinterpreting my posts, the best part is the "make it credible" as If I haven't already. Look up the definition of the words can and will have and you might - I hope - notice a difference. All go ahead and stop buy SSD for DCS and buy HDDs, hurry up, wanna see them "what should i upgrade?" threads. What are you waiting for guys? Sell your SSDs and buy HDDs right now because they're 30$ cheaper! It makes no difference trust me!

Multi-player is the key, I think. One of these days, I'll have to get some packet traces of online gaming. I do single player mission. And when I was using HD's (yuck....LOL) I had a 16GB of memory.

Again, there is a lot of mission dependency (i remember one particular AAA platform causing stuttersif it was in your mission).

But I agree that HD's should *not* be recommended anymore

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 3 weeks later...
What this guy is doing is borderline trolling. I surely won't encourage stupid behaviour and clap him on the shoulder. Wait for the guys buying a HDD instead of a SSD because he is spreading the lie that it doesn't make any difference. These are the ones who crash into the mountains in low-level flight WVR or drive into your jet from behind on the taxiway because of their stutters. Or crash onto the deck of the carrier full of human pilots. :lol: No thanks.

Do you have benchmarks?

Read my DCS 2.5 Optimisation Guide (version 2.5.4):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3828073

Do you have benchmarks?

Like took time to test it just for the sake of testing? No. I had a HDD and DCS World myself with only 8/16GB of RAM and a newer system with a SSD instead, that's how I know. If you want to do yourself a favor with DCS don't buy a HDD in 2019 honestly.

Because you had enough RAM and the system never had to actually use the HDD while in flight. If you would buy 16GB RAM today, a HDD, use high graphic settings and fly the multiplayer missions which are heavy on the system/have a lot of different units this time I can promise you you will get stutters at some point. Not so if you had 32GB RAM in the same situation. He hasn't had stutters because I'm wrong with what I said but because he never forced the system into a situation where a SSD is of advantage (in-flight). That's why initially I said you can get stutters and not will get stutters.

LOL! Misinterpret?

You miss the part where I said I've not experienced the issue? Catch word being not.

System 1:

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.4123 - Core i7 3770K/Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)/32GB G-Skill Trident X DDR3 CL7-8-8-24/Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB - drivers 551.61/LG Blue Ray DL Burner/1TB Crucial MX 500 SSD/(x2)1TBMushkinRAWSSDs/2TB PNY CS900 SSD/Corsair RM750w PSU/Rosewill Mid Challenger Tower/34" LG LED Ultrawide 2560x1080p/Saitek X56 HOTAS/TrackIR 5 Pro/Thermaltake Tt esports Commander Gear Combo/Oculus Quest 2/TM 2xMFD Cougar/InateckPCIeUSB3.2KU5211-R

System 2:

Windows 11 Home 23H2 22631.3447 - MSI Codex Series R2 B14NUC7-095US - i7 14700F/MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi/32GB DDR5 5600mhz RAM/RTX 4060/2TB nVME SSD/4TB 2.5in SSD/650w Gold PSU

Do I come off as someone misleading people on purpose on a flight simulator forum? I had both systems, with a HDD and a SSD. You can even understand it with just some common sense on how the parts interact with each other (including the software, in this case "DCS"). You can get disgusting stutters because you're using a HDD instead of a SSD. This is literally the third time that I alone are explaining this to you in last two weeks, Bitmaster did aswell. If you still gonna insist on your statement then go ahead and discredit yourself right away.

And I agree too :thumbup: It's in the DCS 2.5 system requirements.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/

Attache ta tuque avec d'la broche.

Nonsens from A-Z to the HDD Yes-Sayers !

Talking people into buying a HDD for DCS is almost a crime.

Have you read ED's system recommendations ? If not, you should.

Over & out

Bit

LOL! Misinterpret?

Yes.

You miss the part where I said I've not experienced the issue? Catch word being not.

No, you defended the point of buying a HDD over a SSD and I explained to you why it's stupid several times. You misinterpreted my texts when I was talking about you can or will get stutters. It's not the same word in my book and in everybody elses except yours it seems.

Nonsens from A-Z to the HDD Yes-Sayers !

Talking people into buying a HDD for DCS is almost a crime. ...

Nice one, I like you mein Kamerad, du verstehst es. Over & Out.

Edited by Der Hirte