AH-64 Apache Longbow Attack Helicopter...

everest101

Having a new helicopter flight model such as the AH-64 Apache Longbow would be a cool development direction. I am sure that many flyboys (and flygirls) from the Americas would really dig this.

Are there any such plans for the future?

If enough people from the DCS community tag on to this suggestion, maybe DCS will catch on to making it a reality in the near future.

DCS forum member, if you like this idea...then please reply to this post. The more positive replies, the better!!!

See you in the Blue DCS skies...

Everest...Out!

Flight Lead, CAN04

Quebec Air Force

MOBO/MSI X570-A PRO/PCIe 4. CPU/AMD RYZEN 9 3900X (12 CORE), RAM/DDR4-32 GB (3200MHZ with XMP activated on the MOBO), GPU/EVGA-RTX 3080Ti, HMD/PIMAX Crystal, HOTAS/Thrustmaster Cougar

Would LOVE to see ED do a Longbow.

I think it would come down to how much information they could get on a real one (Same problem with the Russian Ka-52, which I drool over. :p) Probably still a lot of restricted systems on it. However, the new systems being made for the F-18 / F-16 would probably reflect a lot of systems in the longbow. So, who knows?

DCS forum member, if you like this idea...then please reply to this post. The more positive replies, the better!!!

More likely to get replies - and be seen - if you put the wish for a AH-64 in the general wish-list, not in the Ka-50 thread.

Cheers.

Maybe we could have the "Export" version of the AH-64. A bit like the JF-17 which is an airplane for Export and therefore, theoretically, easier to access. This is probably why we will soon have it.

depends which Ah64.

Ah64A is essentially obsolete.

the AH64A manual isnt even any of the restricted classes ( which in itslef technically isnt a classification level as it doesn't require security clearance). Its rated A : approved for public release, distribution unlimited

SO Ah64A could be easily done. Ah64D block 1 and block 2 manuals up until 2003 revisions have level C restriction. Same level as F16C or F/A18A/B/C/D manual which would have necessitated ED to have such information, and those have been simulated in DCS.

So i wouldn't necessarily discount a possibility of a Ah64D block 1 or early block 2 even if its a US army version.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

ED have already said that it's not a matter of if, but WHEN.

They'll do it :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

If it is true, it will certainly be after the Cobra that will serve to develloper code / tools for then, I hope, develop more easily / quickly the AH-64. A bit like the F-18 and the F-16 where the devellopement of one greatly helped the other.

Could look at the Westlands version of the D model I suppose ( bigger engines, navalised, doesn't regularily crash ), but apparently getting usable docs over here for vaguely recent aircraft is a near-impossible chore :S still, an avenue of attack. Think the Cobra will be more fun, frankly.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

The A may be outdated but would work great with the warrior coming. Beside the A kicked ass and took names in the first golf war would love to see the A come to DCS. But then again I love the tomcat so go figure. For me the A is like the tomcat and the longbow is like a hornet with all the bells and stuff. I’ll take the A

The A may be outdated but would work great with the warrior coming. Beside the A kicked ass and took names in the first golf war would love to see the A come to DCS. But then again I love the tomcat so go figure. For me the A is like the tomcat and the longbow is like a hornet with all the bells and stuff. I’ll take the A

We already have the ah1f planned for development fo those who want old school systems, and a "golf" war aircraft.

Therefore that another reason for me to want the ah64d, instead of another analog chopper, especially considering the ka50 (minus rwr") is a already more modern than the ah64a. I'd like at least 1 want 1 bluforce helo that is the rotary analogy of something like the hornet or viper in terms of avionics for the 21st century scenarios, that dcs is predominantly oriented at.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

AH-64A would be lot more interesting for weapon officer with it's manual target search and aiming systems. And it would be suited for cold war and Desert Storm scenarios.

And there if a chance it can be done at all.

I love to see how we cope with the HOTAS in DCS. Combining two Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grips can replicate most of the gunners/front seaters targeting equipment. Then you could use the normal Hotas Warthog and rudders as the flight controls in the front seat and back seat.

Or you don't map the front seats cyclic and collective, but just add a throttle and one of the sticks to the back seat? ;) Anything else is not necessary on the HOTAS, so we are good with a mouse.

The Longbow's Weapon controls are definitely a challenge. Keep in mind, the 4 to 5 hats on each side have typically 3-4 positions and you need both at the same time, so even with modifiers for the hats, we lack switches quickly:

a_AH-64_Apache_-_Cockpit.jpg

Then there is the cyclic which has some 4 hats and usual buttons alone:

AH-64Cyclic.JPG.48442c375b702e9fe129ab9f99854bb6.JPG

Finally the Collective with two "Grips" stacked, adding another bunch of hats and buttons:

AH-64Collective.JPG.effffd0d839e0c03f79de7967e278ca9.JPG

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I love to see how we cope with the HOTAS in DCS. Combining two Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grips can replicate most of the gunners/front seaters targeting equipment. Then you could use the normal Hotas Warthog and rudders as the flight controls in the front seat and back seat.

Or you don't map the front seats cyclic and collective, but just add a throttle and one of the sticks to the back seat? ;) Anything else is not necessary on the HOTAS, so we are good with a mouse.

The Longbow's Weapon controls are definitely a challenge. Keep in mind, the 4 to 5 hats on each side have typically 3-4 positions and you need both at the same time, so even with modifiers for the hats, we lack switches quickly:

a_AH-64_Apache_-_Cockpit.jpg

Then there is the cyclic which has some 4 hats and usual buttons alone:

[ATTACH]218954[/ATTACH]

Finally the Collective with two "Grips" stacked, adding another bunch of hats and buttons:

[ATTACH]218955[/ATTACH]

That is a lot of buttons and hats for sure! I wonder if it would be easier/faster/better to make an FC3 style simulation for the Apache - at least initially. I normally don't like that idea, but with so many new aircraft in DCS, and with so many modern ones, I have trouble keep up with them all. I know the Warthog like the back of my hand, but that took me a few years to master, so I'd actually think I'd like an FC3 style Apache just so I get to fly and shoot it without years of training hah :-)

I'm also thinking for a multi-crew two player aircraft, it would be much easier to get my friends into the gunner's seat if they didn't need all of the HOTAS gear - which is where FC3 style Apache would be advantagous (more copies sold to ED, and more people to fly with for me :P). If they could target and shoot with a basic controller and mouse and keyboard, then I know I'd have a few dedicated gunners to fly with.

EDIT: I forgot to mention what an awesome looking cockpit that is!

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Good idea and I guess my error. Didn't realize I had posted in the KA-50 wishlist section.

This message has been duplicated and added as thread in the General/DCS 2.5/Wishlist section of the forum.

Thanks for the tip!

Everest

MOBO/MSI X570-A PRO/PCIe 4. CPU/AMD RYZEN 9 3900X (12 CORE), RAM/DDR4-32 GB (3200MHZ with XMP activated on the MOBO), GPU/EVGA-RTX 3080Ti, HMD/PIMAX Crystal, HOTAS/Thrustmaster Cougar

More likely to get replies - and be seen - if you put the wish for a AH-64 in the general wish-list, not in the Ka-50 thread.

Good idea and I guess my error. Didn't realize I had posted in the KA-50 wishlist section.

This message has been duplicated and added as thread in the General/DCS 2.5/Wishlist section of the forum.

Thanks for the tip!

Everest

• 2 months later...

I think the timing tells a lot!

So, now ED decided to update the KA-50 and introduce many new helos.

Well, updating the Ka-50 suggest that a new era helicopters are coming, so ED didn't want to leave the most old module...

And as said above there are many shared systems between F-16 and F-18 with the AH-64C/D...!

Let's wait and see.