Can't read cockpit panel markings with VR

DerekSpeare

Hi,

Sorry for posting it, but I must. The panel markings/labels are entirely unreadable/illegible in the F5 when using VR. Is a higher resolution/clearer cockpit planned?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Since there is no Display in the F-5E (like MFCD, Shkval,...) Resolution of Cockpit Display setting is irrelevant for the F-5E and has nothing to do with the readability of labels in the F5-E cockpit.

Pixel Density Setting in DCS itself is only working for Oculus Rift at the Moment but should do the trick if you are using the Rift, like tom said. Texture quality should also be on high, for sure.

If you want a higher Pixel Density with the Vive:

- Quit DCS and also SteamVR (it is not necessary to quit Steam).

- Go to: ?:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\

- Make a Backup of the steamvr.vrsettings file !

- Open the steamvr.vrsettings file with Notepad or something similar and insert the following line somewhere under "steamvr" : { section

• "renderTargetMultiplier" : 1.5,

So it should look like this, for example:

"steamvr" : {

"allowReprojection" : true,

"background" : "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\SteamVR\\resources\\backgrounds\\viveNight.png",

"basestationPowerManagement" : true,

"defaultMirrorView" : 1,

"directMode" : true,

"directModeEdidPid" : 43521,

"directModeEdidVid" : 53794,

"renderTargetMultiplier" : 1.5,

"showMirrorView" : false

},

You can change the value "1.5" to what your grahpics card is capable of. If this gives you much lower FPS, try 1.2 for example. It played a bit with this setting and saw that this setting wont effect FPS in the F5-E too much... Even on 0.5 it gave me no real FPS boost, but it is unplayable for sure because of the low resolution. But feel free to try 2.0 for example. DCS and steamVR must be closed to change the value every time.

You should know that this settings changes not only DCS but also every other VR Game resolution.

Have fun!

Edited by Arctic

My PD is 1.5. Panel marking legibility seems to be low in general with VR. A Hi-Rez panel may help, but that could whack the frame rates though.

BST can shed some light on this if they wanted.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

• 2 years later...

I have trouble seeing the dials in VR(Oculus). The HSI shows pretty good, but the engine instrumentation is horrible. I have tried everything, but still can't get a good read on the most dials.

It seems I had this issue with A10C. A higher res cockpit mod fixed it, but haven,t tried in VR.

Hope VR issues like this can be addressed in the future.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS