Mariana Islands Map & DCS: WWII

NineLine

Without question, the Martin Mars or better yet, the Martin Mariner, would be an awesome addition to the DCS World Pacific Theater however, in my humble opinion, the PBY-5A Catalina would be the best possible choice. It flew in every single theater throughout the war and performed as a patrol bomber, torpedo bomber, search and rescue and liason aircraft. But the best feature that I think would be so exciting for us in DCS World, would be that it is amphibious. If ED or a third party could figure out how to make that work, I have no doubt that it would be a massive seller!! :pilotfly:

The Catalina is a great idea. It and the Mariner are both better options than the Mars, I was just being kinda silly with that one but it's cool that there's still a few flying examples of it.

a few months ago ED was looking for someone fluent in japanese to help translate DCS in said language. So that obviously mean they are interested in the japanese market, and if you want to appeal to a crowd, you need something that speaks to it, so it's not that silly to think that ED MIGHT be working on a japanese aircraft.

One can dream. :)

Edited by Akatsuki

a few months ago ED was looking for someone fluent in japanese to help translate DCS in said language. So that obviously mean they are interested in the japanese market, and if you want to appeal to a crowd, you need something that speaks to it, so it's not that silly to think that ED MIGHT be working on a Japanese aircraft.

Optimistically they're translating documents for a Japanese module. Realistically they're probably translating the game into Japanese. I hope your right though!

I just read the non-aircraft projects up coming and have to say I'm real excited about it. Especially the Kuznetsov and Su33 models update.

Real excited for the Marianas obviously. And the Syria map sounds awesome.

Loving the 1000kmx1000km span for the Marianas. It was always something at the back of my mind being an Aussie, the RAAF choices for new front line fighter/interceptor birds have to contend with tremendous territorial distances between available refuelling, projections have pointed out glaring weaknesses with our RAAF relying on USAF tactical strategies, we just don't have the support coordination the US does with its mega-budget. Hornets are good because they can be very economical and carry a bucket load of external tanks, but the reality was back when we had short range Mirages and even after we put up Hornets we'd actually send an F-111 for a long range fighter sweep. Once you toss in a supersonic dash it just trumped the range on anything else capable of doing the job and once you break the coastline there is a very big expanse of endless ocean everywhere around Australia. Any kind of navigational error and you might just be ditching, running out of fuel is probably a bigger concern in a combat scenario than the enemy. And of course the vulnerability of our limited fleet of tankers. Combat models show the red force making easy wins with old Russian equipment so long as they throw everything directly at the tankers. Then they can all but avoid aerial combat and the entire RAAF force has to ditch before making it back to the lonely continent. Our force projection capability and even "protecting territorial interests" is far more logistically limited than any US doctrine, we're like Seal Team Six trying to fight the entire Iraqi war by ourselves around here.

So it may seem weird to some but I love simming long missions at the limit of combat radius, with hours of overwater expanse and like eight minutes of combat. Then trying to make it back to base or carrier. It was what I loved about IL2:Sturmovik, a huge Pacific map and navigating by dials and knee maps, for hours across endless ocean, have a crazy, hopeless combat sortie where I usually got my Wildcat shot up and emptied my magazines way too far away to hit anything, then attempting to make it back to a carrier the size of a needle in a haystack, with smoke pouring out my bird. It was awesome!!!! I mean the immersion by the time you get into combat is incredible, you actually get such an anxious shock that you mess up all over the place and imagine, wow, this times 1000 for what those guys actually went through, but it gave you that abstract guess from very real butterflies in your own gut on a computer. Love it.

There will always be planes for any map in DCS.

I won't complain about not getting EXACTLY THE PLANE SET I WANT !!!

Is that what you mean ?

ED should focus on the existing Normandy map which is far from what we want. With the Pacific theatre they'll just collect some bucks from the fanboys and forget about the rest of us.. They should change the business model, the current one does not help any of us. Tell me ONE module which is 100% playable or bug free.. exactly, there's none. I still have hope for a decent WWII environment.. but I'm not that young anymore.

Sent from my Redmi 5 using Tapatalk

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

ED should focus on the existing Normandy map which is far from what we want. With the Pacific theatre they'll just collect some bucks from the fanboys and forget about the rest of us.. They should change the business model, the current one does not help any of us. Tell me ONE module which is 100% playable or bug free.. exactly, there's none. I still have hope for a decent WWII environment.. but I'm not that young anymore.

How are they going to collect bucks if Marianas map is meant to be free ? :megalol:

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

You like Normandy, I like the Pacific. They're about to run out of Teen series fighters so maybe they'll go all in on WWII after that? Who knows... I'm excited, sorry your not. Try to have some fun.

How are they going to collect bucks if Marianas map is meant to be free ? :megalol:
Even worse then..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

• ED Team

If you don't like the pacific, then probably a discussion about the Pacific is one you would want to avoid, please stay on topic, and let's not turn this into another argument.

Normandy Map is being updated, there is a thread for that.

WWII Europe has its own section.

Plenty of places to talk about that, and not clog up other threads. Let people enjoy what they want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

If you don't like the pacific, then probably a discussion about the Pacific is one you would want to avoid, please stay on topic, and let's not turn this into another argument.

Normandy Map is being updated, there is a thread for that.

WWII Europe has its own section.

Plenty of places to talk about that, and not clog up other threads. Let people enjoy what they want.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |

I wonder how long before we can get a TBD to try these new torpedoes in development. I think that was my favourite Pacific type mission. I guess we have a few years to wait for the assets to come together for Pacific. But it most likely has the best setting for carrier and air combat that can be done the best by DCS. I hope this is of interest to ED, I'd be able to hang up my current gen fighter suit forever if we can get a fairly well rounded Pacific set of assets. There's nothing more faithful than a good FM and a set of guns and bombs.... no avionics guesswork, ECM, ECCM, funky radars and all the rest of the awkward-to-simulate stuff.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I wonder how long before we can get a TBD to try these new torpedoes in development. I think that was my favourite Pacific type mission. I guess we have a few years to wait for the assets to come together for Pacific. But it most likely has the best setting for carrier and air combat that can be done the best by DCS. I hope this is of interest to ED, I'd be able to hang up my current gen fighter suit forever if we can get a fairly well rounded Pacific set of assets. There's nothing more faithful than a good FM and a set of guns and bombs.... no avionics guesswork, ECM, ECCM, funky radars and all the rest of the awkward-to-simulate stuff.

+1 to that.

a few months ago ED was looking for someone fluent in japanese to help translate DCS in said language. So that obviously mean they are interested in the japanese market, and if you want to appeal to a crowd, you need something that speaks to it, so it's not that silly to think that ED MIGHT be working on a japanese aircraft.

I would love an F-2. I was stationed in Misawa and saw them everyday.

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Just as a bit of info some might have missed:

NSSGrey

10 points

·

1 day ago

Dear Sir, we will make a WWII version of Marianas and it will be free. Many thanks for your support and passion. Kind regards Nick

thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, thanks, and …… thanks,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Things I never knew I always wanted #17: flying a Kingfisher off a battleship.

Interesting. Never thought about the possibility. Now i want it.

Did the us or japanese navy also launch fighters or attack aircraft from their battleships or was it only recce?

The Japanese deployed float plane fighters from islands bases, the A6M2-N being the most prominent case, the US just experimented with various designs, like a Devastator or Wildcat on floats. Never heard that anyone used battleships for this, except some rather heavily armed reece planes like the Ar-196.