Sidewinder / AMRAAM Versions

SirJ

Hey guys,

can someone help me where the difference in the Sidewinder Versions L an M / the AMRAAM Versions B and C is?

It seems they are exchangeable without any pro and con...

Any suggestions?

Best regards!

edit: this not about the difference between Sidewinder and AMRAAM, but about the difference between the different versions of one type.

Edited by SirJ
clarification

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-9_Sidewinder

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-120_AMRAAM

Should be a good starting point. Go to the variants section :)

In DCS Aim-9M is smokeless, also a bit more resistant to flares I think.

Aim-120B is older gen amraam, so expect a bit shorter range and it is easier to defeat than the Aim-120C.

Edited by Schmidtfire

Thanks for your posts.

While the 9X is way different (better) in performance compared to the other AIM-9's. The difference between the 9L/M and 120B/C is less "visible"...so it looks to be more a measurement error than some tech. innovation...

So I guess it is some kind of slightly higher statistical chance of successful tracking and hitting?

Thanks for your posts.

While the 9X is way different (better) in performance compared to the other AIM-9's. The difference between the 9L/M and 120B/C is less "visible"...so it looks to be more a measurement error than some tech. innovation...

So I guess it is some kind of slightly higher statistical chance of successful tracking and hitting?

There's a pretty big difference between the 9L and 9M - mainly that one has a smoky missile trail and the other doesn't. It's a lot easier to get kills with the 9M because they don't necessarily see it coming.

With the 120B / 120C, the 120C is longer ranged and has a higher resistance to chaff. There aren't any scenarios where you'd take the 120B / 9L (or 9M for that matter) if the 120C and 9X are available. You might find that the 120C and 9X aren't always available though (especially on something like Blue Flag).

There's a pretty big difference between the 9L and 9M - mainly that one has a smoky missile trail and the other doesn't. It's a lot easier to get kills with the 9M because they don't necessarily see it coming.

With the 120B / 120C, the 120C is longer ranged and has a higher resistance to chaff. There aren't any scenarios where you'd take the 120B / 9L (or 9M for that matter) if the 120C and 9X are available. You might find that the 120C and 9X aren't always available though (especially on something like Blue Flag).

The 120b is more maneuverable because of its larger wing area, so i usually take 1 or 2 for close engagements. The aim7 is also good to use when engaging bandits that are close to friendlies, so your missile doesn't pitbull on a friendly if you lose lock.

Joe

:helpsmilie:

The 120b is more maneuverable because of its larger wing area

I'm not sure if this is true, a lot of missile lift actually comes from the body. Even if true, it could be offset by the 120C's higher speed since missile maneuverability depends on speed.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files