Photos of the two F-14's on display in Oregon

Ghostrider142

I visited the F-14A at the Tillamook museum last month and then the F-14D at Evergreen Air and Space museum more recently and I wanted to share this here (I'd posted these in other threads before, but those don't get a lot of other views. Obviously there were quite a few other reasons to visit Evergreen ;)

Also where else in the world is there a Mig-29 sitting next to an F-14D?

Tillamook

https://goo.gl/photos/FkYhaZmG91SbNFag7

Evergreen

https://goo.gl/photos/QW8KmXTvHw2KBLBS6

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

I feel very fortunate, I've only lived in Oregon a few years, had no idea these were here until recently, they are both in rural areas.

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

The Evergreen museum does not list all the holdings on their website, I thought I was going to see an F-105, a B-17 and the Spitfire lol.

It is a really nice facility, two large buildings, movie theater (food too I think) with documentaries etc. You could spend all day there, justifying a long trip. I didn't even get many photographs of the space relics, I ran out of time!

Ugh, pains me seeing them still leave it outside. I saw 106 back in 2007 when they were building the new building. Ridiculous they built the big new one and still didn't put the other jets inside.

lpLc3e.jpg

P1dUU2.jpg

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

I agree, I have no idea why the F-14D is outside at Evergreen. Oregon is rainy and cloudy 7 months out of the year, so it is perpetually wet, then from June to September it is exceptionally bright and can get in the 90s to 100s.

Seen both of these Tomcats, I was a Surfman out at Cape Disappointment, and then Grays Harbor, WA, and you better believe I hit every museum I could find within a 300 mile radius lol.....

The bird in Tillamook.....I had been around F-14's before, like on the Intrepid and the one at the Boeing Museum, but until I hopped on that crew ladder and looked back across the Tomcat in Tillamook I had no idea just how big that plane really is!

~S

Thanks guys, glad everyone likes them. :thumbup:

Robert, I had the exact same sensation when I climbed up there, she is so wide and huge, you can just see how she gets so much lift, the low wing load of the Tomcat just screams out at you.

I do kind of understand why the D at Evergreen is outside..She's stripped internally and is basically just a shell.

The A at Tillamook is still mostly intact..I think the only thing they did to de-mill her was take her electronics and cut her wing spars..otherwise she's complete as she was at her last flight.

"I think the only thing they did to de-mill her was..... cut her wing spar"

Single tear. Followed by another. And another.....

I know..but not every museum jet suffered the same fate!

There's at least one where the only thing missing is some of her avionics and radar black boxes. Otherwise she's intact, uncut wing spars, complete lower hour TF-30's..everything.

Does anyone know the story about that A-10's camo scheme? The light blue & grey scheme is only something I have seen Eagles before

I plan on spending the day there soon, I will do my best to remember and ask about that.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for shots! I was there as a kid in that museum at Tillamook when I was a kid. Used to have alot of Navy planes and even a blimp inside it. Looks kinda barren now.

Theres a F14A about 10 miles from me in a museum here I should go drool over.

Edit: I just noticed the blimp is still there with the aliens inside it! Thanks again!

Rig: 5960X @ 4.5GHZ 32GB 3000Mhz DDR4 Titan XP Dell 3415W 21:9 Thrustmaster Warthog

• 4 weeks later...

@Ghostrider142

Thanks to you I went to the Tillamook Air Museum last month when I visited friends in Portland :thumbup:

Seeing the F14 in person for the first time (there are none in Germany :D) was very exciting!

The Size of the Blimp Hangar where the Museum is in is just crazy...

35616271206_1830187ea9_b.jpg

Tillamook Air Museum by BMAutomotivePhotography - Ben

35616270046_7fdd3edbc2_b.jpg

Tillamook Air Museum by BMAutomotivePhotography - Ben

There's also a VF-84 Tomcat at the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

Edited by VFlip

I read a few months back that the museum is closing down. That wouldn't surprise me, the last few times I was there the guy who owned that fantastic warbird collection was selling selling selling. As of my last visit he had sold the Jug and the Mustang and the Catalina was up for sale. I also saw somewhere that Evergreen is closing down :-(

I read a few months back that the museum is closing down. That wouldn't surprise me, the last few times I was there the guy who owned that fantastic warbird collection was selling selling selling. As of my last visit he had sold the Jug and the Mustang and the Catalina was up for sale. I also saw somewhere that Evergreen is closing down :-(

Are you referring to the Erickson collection?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]