FPS drop on airbase looking around

Hi,

After seaching the forum without getting the right answer, I am asking here :

I just upgraded to GTX1070 on my I5 6500K (4.4 ghz OC) 8GO ram setup.

I am really pleased with my performance so far as I can sustain 60fps in almost all situations. Except that when I am on the ground looking around at buildings or others aircrafts, my FPS drop at around 45 - 50 fps and panning with Trackir becomes sluggish.

Is it a known issue that FPS get hit on the ground even with aircraft not powered? Or is there any settings I can tweak to avoid that?

Currently my settings are :

Texture : High

Terrain Texture : High

Civ traffic : Low

Water : Medium

Visib range : High

Heatblur : low

Shadows : medium

res cockpit display : 512

MSAA 4X

HDR ON

Depth of Field OFF

Lens effet : dirt and flare

Clutter bushes : 700

Trees visibility : max

Preload radius : max

Af : 8X

Flat terrain shadows : ON

In Nvidia Inspector : I have Vsync Force ON (OFF In Game) and Sparse Grid Supersampling AA to 4X

I would be glad to know exactly what water and shadows settings do? What is the difference between low, medium and high?

Hope you can help me,

Best regards,

Pierre

Water is a bad one. It actually runs under the entire map so it is a big hit. Set it to low. Still looks good to me. Heat blur is not worth the melted HUD screens. I used to love the blur, no more.

Best post I have seen for optimizing is in the A-10 Forum Troubleshooting section. Lot s of things to try. DCS is very subjective so find what is best for you.

• Like 1

Preload radius and trees are very hardware demanding, especially on only 8GB system. Note that even default "high" preset doesn't have them on max, that's for a reason.

To compare, I still use my old GTX780, with settings pretty much as Yours except for preload and trees, which I have at default high (6000 and 9000, if I recall correctly?). On single 1200p monitor that yields stable 60 all around, with drops to 50-few at Batumi and Senaki (two most fps hungry airbases on Caucasus map).

Also, Sparse Grid Supersampling has always been a frame murderer, though I don't know how much it should affect such a hefty card like 1070.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Best post I have seen for optimizing is in the A-10 Forum Troubleshooting section. Lot s of things to try. DCS is very subjective so find what is best for you.

Which post are you referring to? There seems to be quite a few on this topic!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

For what it's worth, playing MP in 2.5 (FS99th server), spawning in the Mirage at Nellis gave me extremely low framerate (4 fps, aka slideshow)... but closing the canopy made it back to normal.

Ryzen 3600X - RTX 2080 - 32 GB Ram - DCS on SSD.

DCS Modules : M2K-C, F18-C, FW-190D, Huey, Gazelle, Black Shark, Mig-15, all maps.

Preload radius and trees are very hardware demanding, especially on only 8GB system. Note that even default "high" preset doesn't have them on max, that's for a reason.

To compare, I still use my old GTX780, with settings pretty much as Yours except for preload and trees, which I have at default high (6000 and 9000, if I recall correctly?). On single 1200p monitor that yields stable 60 all around, with drops to 50-few at Batumi and Senaki (two most fps hungry airbases on Caucasus map).

Also, Sparse Grid Supersampling has always been a frame murderer, though I don't know how much it should affect such a hefty card like 1070.

Its his Graficcard, thats got 8GB, not his system. So preload should be set to max.

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

where are you when that happens and how many placed units are nearby?

also if it's in multiplayer, if the server is already running a long time with a lot of players (from time to time they crash near airports) can cause a lot of FPS drops.

Best example i have is on the Bruning skies server, where after a few hours, novo has either a lot of wrecks there or player, and both things can lead to FPS drop, but once you're away from it, the FPS get again up and stable

Hi and thank you for your help,

FPS drop occurs at Kobuleti (Warthog proficiency mission 1.2.2 by Gliptal), when looking towards aircrafts on the parking and airbase buidings in the background. You can test as it is really the begining of the misson, Aircraft powered off. 2 F16 and one UAV are starting rightaway and taxi in front of my A10. There are a dozens of airplanes at the park I guess.

I confirm that I only have 8go RAM in my system. Also 8go vram in the GTX. I play only single player so I think 8go is sufficent. It seems it uses around 60% of RAM during game.

I lowered water to low and dropped tree and preload radius a little. It is better but it seems that no matters what I lowers, I have this FPS drop from 5 to 10 below 60. It is sufficient to induce stutters because of Vsync (if I do not use Vsync I have screen tearing).

I guess I must live with it, if it is only at parking, it may not be a big deal. I thinks it is rather inherent to game optimization.

PS Is Windows task manager good enough to monitor RAM usage or do you advice another utility for that?

Pierre

Pierre,

Kobuleti is known as frame rate hungry and I guess with AI moving around even more. The tearing is a different story and the stutters. Thats not a simple frame-rate issue. The human eye takes every rate above 30 as "smooth", so your issue is something else.

Just a thought: did you try it with NVidia inspector settings to stock? Sparse Grid SS killed me on my old system flying FSX there.

With my actual system I do not use Nvidia tuning anymore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

Hi,

Clutter bushes : 700

There's no need to set so high. You could notice a grass from rather less distance. My setting is 300.

=WRAG=345

R7 5800X @ 4,8 GHz; DDR4 32Gb RAM (+32Gb swap); Radeon RX 6800 16Gb; 3840x2160; Win10-64

Actually SSGSAA in Nvidia Inspector is the only I found to kill MFD shimmering in the A10. I did not notice much difference between 2x and 4x so I let it at 4x to match MSAA x4 in game. I guess the 1070 is good enough...I may switch back to 2x if I notice too bad performance in another area.

I think what I call stutters is just the fact something in vsync kicks out when FPs go below 60. I do not know what but for sure there is someting.

I drop bushes to 300. Currently testing preload radius to max vs less because we can read all and contrary regarding this setting. I am lost. Some said max is faster, others that it needs to be lowered...

Pierre

Pierre,

The human eye takes every rate above 30 as "smooth", so your issue is something else.

That just simply isn't true, and over simplifies frame rate. As soon as an animation becomes interactive, the bar for "smooth" changes. Think of all the people using VR who need 90 frames, their bodies can feel and have a reaction to it. Your brain knits together images and it can't do that if it doesn't see what it is expecting to see when it expects to see it. Because of this cycling frame rates from 45 to 60 can make the whole experience feel choppy, this cycling is a pretty common occurrence in DCS.

Evidence:

https://us.hardware.info/reviews/4592/vast-majority-of-gamers-prefers-120-hz-monitors

Thats not a simple frame-rate issue. The human eye takes every rate above 30 as "smooth", so your issue is something else.

Oh god, people actually think this still? It's complete nonsense from every perspective.

https://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

Try to Orverride application settings on Anti-aliasing mode and anisotropic filtering mode(use the same X) and you will use more and stable FPS plus the GPU will stop to work at 100%.. and will be cooler ... i try it to my RX 480 today and my brother GTX 970 and works the sames good in both

Hi,

After seaching the forum without getting the right answer, I am asking here :

I just upgraded to GTX1070 on my I5 6500K (4.4 ghz OC) 8GO ram setup.

I am really pleased with my performance so far as I can sustain 60fps in almost all situations. Except that when I am on the ground looking around at buildings or others aircrafts, my FPS drop at around 45 - 50 fps and panning with Trackir becomes sluggish.

Is it a known issue that FPS get hit on the ground even with aircraft not powered? Or is there any settings I can tweak to avoid that?

Sorry for my Eng is not good. Water, High Visible settings and forests/ large zones of tree are not much impact fps but high detailed model of aircrafts are really stressed.

If you can fly Mi-8MTV2 and got that module, try Mi-8 Free Flight test, take off the helo then fly direct to the nearest airbase at the north. At a distance of about 35-40km from the airbase, framerate sudden has a big drop.

At first flight i really didn't know what made the fps a huge drop to 9-12fps while I was running HD 7970 with normal average fps of 38-55.

Then i found the reason: there're 10 fighter aircrafts on the airbase: 4 low-detailed Su-30s and 6 high-detailed Su-24M2 bombers. Those six Su-24s were the main reason, huge drop fps at any view angle.

If it makes you feel better I had struggled with this issues for months, specifically when at Batumi airfield and I looked right towards the mountains my FPS dropped to 35. No issue anywhere ells on the caucuses map and nothing similar on the NTTR map. It's an issue with the view distance/object draw distance that has been there for ages now with one of the updates. Even on Low it was there. I had a file link graciously sent to me by one of the forum members and it fix it right up and I still had Ultra on no problems. I cannot seem to find it anymore but ill post it if I do.

Edited by Goldsmack

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S

Thanks for your answers !

@Goldsmack : I would be very pleased to know more about the mod file that cured your low fps Batumi!

One thing I noticed is that if flyîng my mission at night, the FPS drop does not appear.

Pierre

• 5 months later...
If it makes you feel better I had struggled with this issues for months, specifically when at Batumi airfield and I looked right towards the mountains my FPS dropped to 35. No issue anywhere ells on the caucuses map and nothing similar on the NTTR map. It's an issue with the view distance/object draw distance that has been there for ages now with one of the updates. Even on Low it was there. I had a file link graciously sent to me by one of the forum members and it fix it right up and I still had Ultra on no problems. I cannot seem to find it anymore but ill post it if I do.

I'm here because I'm running low FPS at Batumi in DCS 1.5.7. Normal DCS performance is solid 45 FPS (Rift, GTX 1070 Strix, i7-7700K @ 5.2 GHz, 16Gb ram).

At Batumi on two specific headings (150 mag and another North-East) the FPS drops to 8-25! I get this on different aircraft. I observed that the Mirror performance metric was usually 0.0-1.0 but 6.0-8.0 when FPS dropped. Tweaking the water setting to lower and turning off mirrors of the aircraft did not improve things.

I thought it could be "end of map" related, but performance in the northern end of map is spectacular with 90 FPS on northerly headings.

Mi-8

Disabling the mirrors reestablishes 45 FPS on heading 150 but not heading 40 which seem to only increase by 5-10 FPS to around 32-37

Gazelle

To my knowledge it has no mirrors, so I can't disable them. It's as if the mirrors were still rendered to a render target.

Edited by Jack McCoy
Aircraft-specific notes

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.