Easier To Learn Jets?

Zulu111

Thanks to everyone for such diverse and insightful ideas, it gives me much to think about. I did some further research and now I'm wondering if the F-86 Sabre might be a viable candidate for the "next step". Has anyone flown the F-86 module? It seems to be a step up from the WW2 airplanes and a step down from the fancy avionics & weapons of a more modern jet. The Chuck's Guide for the F-86 is also only 90 pages which is "small" considering the 333 pages of the F-18.

If you're looking for an intermediate aircraft, I might recommend the F-5 over the F-86. Since it's more modern it does have more in common with newer jets that you're probably looking to get into in the future, while lacking some of the very complex digital systems. It'll help you get used to stuff like radar, HUD, guided missiles, TACAN, etc without having to read through a massive manual or watch a bunch of videos just to understand basic operations of the jet.

When you buy an Aircraft module does it come with any sort of documentation or tutorial information?

Yes, both. Manuals for aircraft can be found within the install of your DCS..

DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\Aircraft\****\Doc (**** would be specific to each aircraft)

The tutorials are found under the "training" sub menu of the main DCS menu screen. Although I personally use videos on YouTube from the likes of Magz, GrimReapers, Spudknocker and others for most of those as the ones within DCS (especially for the Hornet) often struggle to keep up with new systems being implemented or changes to some of those systems. This is typically in regards to beta aircraft releases.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

When you buy an Aircraft module does it come with any sort of documentation or tutorial information?

You can download without buying the modules here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/documentation/

Edited by Exorcet

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

6-DOF means only that camera can move and turn in all three axis (3 moves, 3 rotations), nothing about clickable cockpit functions.

Exactly.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I "might" to able to source a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS bundle and this in turn made me take a look at the possibility of flying the A-10C Warthog jet. Is this a difficult plane to learn how to fly & operate as compared to the F-18? Thank you for your feedback.

I "might" to able to source a Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS bundle and this in turn made me take a look at the possibility of flying the A-10C Warthog jet. Is this a difficult plane to learn how to fly & operate as compared to the F-18? Thank you for your feedback.

I think it could be considering just as difficult, if not more. Numerous systems, numerous weapons, numerous tactics. That being said, the controls are like for like in the A10C with the Warthog HOTAS - which could be considered “easier” as the tutorials in game correlate directly to what you will be holding / operating in your hands. I have 2 warthog HOTAS’ - got one as a gift after I had already purchased one. The other is still in the box brand new. Considered selling it, but didn’t need to so never put much effort into doing so. Figured I’d use one with the AB decent and the other without, but learned to fly the Hornet without the detent just fine. The other one still sits in the box, brand new and in darkness.

The tutorials in game will help flatten the learning curve for the A10C in my opinion, compared to the Hornet (and lack of tutorials for newer systems) - but there are many great ones on YouTube.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

That's a difficult question to answer. I would say the Hornet has more systems and more complex systems to operate, BUT because of the way they are controlled it's much more intuitive to use. As an example, with the A10 radio presets you can't easily see what channel you have tuned (only which preset you have selected) and it's not really obvious, whereas the Hornet shows you which preset number and what the actual channel tuned is. With the Hornet it feels like things show up on the DDI's labelled rather than having to remember where a bunch of switches are. Both have their difficult parts and easy parts to learn.

Has anyone flown the Viggen?

Nope.

Cheers,

Don

I know the op is specific, but if you feel the F18 is too big a jump from a p51, i would instead also consider the F5E over the F86F.

Its simple to learn in its basics, but has alot more going for it than the F86F in applicability in scenarios, its very maneuverable, and very forgiving jet for something lacking fly by wire. Although far from modern it has alot more pertinent basicis for a DCS environment ( like countermeasures, Radar warning reciever, and Radar), and even all aspect Aim9's. which are actually usable vs being extremely situational like the Gar8/Aim9B

Though that being said, the F18 has a the most versatility in how its utilized, and fits the best for the general DCS modern environment.

basis of operation are simple, its easy and forgiving to fly due to Fly by wire, although learning all the combat systems requires gradual steps, as its more in depth than a simple analog plane.

As for the viggen? Id say its very specific type of aircraft, basically primarily for anti shipping, and single pass haul ass ground bombing. ITs not very versatile, and is catered very specifically to Swedish doctrine. I wouldn't recommend it as the next step from P51 unless you have a very specific interest in such an aircraft.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD