Asus UK Warranty Period?

Seems my 2 year old Z97-P is starting to die. I've been trying to get info at Asus UK, but it's a far from straightforward site.

Also asked the estore where I bought it (Scan) how long the Asus warranty is, but they just told me to go and ask Asus. How helpful.

Any Brits out there know this?

Want to know if it's still covered before I start individual component testing, or might as well just start saving for a complete new rig. These LGA 1150 mobos are becoming like rocking-horse manure to find. I can get a server mobo (Q87) but not convinced that would be best for simming.

TiA

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Thanks! :)

I wonder if they'll have any LGA 1150 boards left...

PS - they've accepted the support request, at least, now to wait for their response.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

CPU Socket cover installed ? Picture taken with ALL pins still proper ?

I dont wanna paint black...

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Heard back from them earlier - so less than 24 hour response - very good.

They've suggested the usual resetting the BIOS etc, but also some settings to adjust and see how it goes.

Basically, the issue was warm starting - all I was getting was a small "dash" above left centre of the screen - no post, nada. Switch off at the mains for at least 30 seconds cleared it and restarting as normal. Take a few days to see if it's fixed or not.

Kneeboard Guides

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone interested - I got in touch with Asus support - their response time is between 24 and 48 hours - and did some tests, sent some info etc and they have now told me I can return it.

How that will pan out, I don't know - this is a 6 year old motherboard with LGA 1150 - I'm not sure they will have any to replace it with and I have my doubts about it being repairable.

Refund after over 2 years? I have had that from a local shop, but never from an etailer.

We'll see. Aside from that, I'm expecting my invitation to buy the Valve Index any time now - so hopefully it won't come until this is sorted out. Lukckily I have my old VR PC sitting idle in a corner, but whether it will have the oomph to drive the Index is another matter. I hate RMAs!

Kneeboard Guides

Despite Asus telling me to RMA the board to Scan, Scan are refusing to accept it, saying it's not their problem after 24 months, despite the Asus 3 year warranty.

They probably noticed I've stopped buying from them since I bought it - I was not impressed at all by the customer service - and more recently I noticed they were charging an extra £70 on top of the retail price of a Rift S. They've reduced it since, but nevertheless...

They won't be seeing any more of my money.

If these motherboards were still generally available, I would have just binned this one and bought a new one, anyway - but they aren't. 2H from ebay there are loads, but that's not an avenue I would persue on so vital a bit of kit that could have been abused for years before put on sale with no guarantee.

There are some very nice Asus Z97-Pro mobos available from China for £130 and I think that's what I'll go with - otherwise it's a minimum £450 upgrade to today's hardware and that would mean cancelling the Index. I can't afford both. I would even do that if the Rift S hadn't been such a flop for me (rubbish FoV due to the lack of decent IPD adjustment). I'd be happy to forgo Knuckles until later as well, but that would put the delivery back even further - and buying the headset and base stations separately is almost as expensive as getting the whole package, so not worth it (and notice how they didn't offer this as a package).

Oh well. I have got a low bid going on a used MSI Z87 Gaming on ebay, but I think I'll be outbid come end of the auction, so the Chinese option will be taken up.

The frustrations of being on a piddle-poor pension. 90% of the disposable part of it goes on my PC hobby.

Kneeboard Guides

Wow - Asus got back to me straight away and said that Scan have to accept it as a return because the warranty is in fact 36 months. I don't hold out much hope for Scan agreeing to that, so I've ordered the Z87-Pro from China.

Oh well. At least I got 2 years' worth of good VR gaming out of it and I can keep using it until the Chinese one arrives in a few weeks - if it does't completely give up the ghost.

End of saga... :music_whistling:

Kneeboard Guides

Not quite....

Asus are very unhappy about Scan's refusal to honour the Asus warranty and are determined (they say) to take action to protect their customers.

Rest assured, your situation will be addressed.

Tune in for next week's episode...

Kneeboard Guides