VRAM for VR

skypickle

Currently using a titan pascal (12 gb vram) and my monitor is a 3440x 1440 gsync ASUS. VRAM use is about6.7 gb.

gkpqkuZ.png

I am thinking about trying the HP G2 which has 2 2160x2160 screens.

Unfortunately I think this puts me real close to my VRAM limit at my current level of detail. Which setting should I sacrifice to get the most extra VRAM with the least visual quality loss?

Current graphical settings are here:

FL9mJSF.png

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

Do you currently use a VR headset?

I pre ordered the G2 as well but I'm using the rift cv1 at the moment. I never monitored my VRAM but will do tomorrow... I have a 2080ti but never thought it would be an issue...

I did some tests by setting the pixel density on my VR to 2. This simulates the amount of pixels that the G2 has and tried a few things with the settings.

I disabled MSAA and Anisotropic filtering is set to 4x.

Clutter/grass and Trees visibility could be higher. I didn't notice a big FPS drop when I moved those up.

If I'm not mistaken, the preload radius is what is causing the VRAM to go up? If you are hitting VRAM limits, try lowering that but I'm nut 100% sure if that's true... someone has to confirm this...

Water to medium also has a big-ish impact on FPS.

Your preload radius is insane. I use the lowest setting in VR with no loss in quality and big gains on performance (1080Ti)

And loading is much faster also this way. Give it a try at least in VR.

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

With these settings

6QuENxT.png

I get almost no change

vBALKSC.png

I overclocked the video card a bit(up to 2 ghz)

Wattage increased significantly but temps no different since I am watercooling both cpu and gpu with AIOs.

Preload radius is down to 60k and I bumped up clutter detail and dropped water detail.

I have 32 gig ram, paging file is 4 gig

System memory used is 16 gig

BTW, I am running a 4930K at 4.5 ghz (I dont remember how many generations old that chip is but it loads DCS in under 30 sec. off a hard drive (spinning rust)

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

I recently tested my 2560x1440 monitor, kicking the windows resolution down to a low 800 x 600. When I did, I recovered anywhere from .3 to .5 GB of VRAM on my 8GB 1080 card when flying VR. This measured with the help of fpsvr. Since your monitor is even higher res, you might get back a bit more. Just 'saying. Side benefit, reprojection went down slightly, too.

I am on the Valve Index.

GPU-z and windows etc list allocated RAM and that is only the memory the game asks to be reserved and most games are greedy in this regard.

Same with page files and windows, it asks for memory to reserved.

And this reserve is more like your credit card than anything else, you have the credit available but you most likely only use a portion of it.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Currently using a titan pascal (12 gb vram) and my monitor is a 3440x 1440 gsync ASUS. VRAM use is about6.7 gb.

gkpqkuZ.png

I am thinking about trying the HP G2 which has 2 2160x2160 screens.

Unfortunately I think this puts me real close to my VRAM limit at my current level of detail. Which setting should I sacrifice to get the most extra VRAM with the least visual quality loss?

Current graphical settings are here:

FL9mJSF.png

Listen to this video, here I forwarded to the bit talking about memory. You need to listen for about 2 mins. All is explained.

Enjoy. Hope that helps / explains.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]