Lantrin Pilot Control Mod

grant977

Is it acceptable to post in here a link to that mod??

As it is posted in the DCS User Files I would say certainly it is. Are you aware of the User Files section?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303929/

Don't get used to it thou - as many will gleefully inform you, it won't last and HB will remove the ability to use this mod once Jester can use the TPOD.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As it is posted in the DCS User Files I would say certainly it is. Are you aware of the User Files section?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303929/

Don't get used to it thou - as many will gleefully inform you, it won't last and HB will remove the ability to use this mod once Jester can use the TPOD.

I dont see this in the near future. And also I am curious how they want to implement this. Either it would be super clumsy to tell Jester what he has to target via the Jester AI menu or Jester is that good at it thats it full automode with any involvement of the player. Super boring.

The mod is imho the best solution for this issue.

I dont see this in the near future. And also I am curious how they want to implement this. Either it would be super clumsy to tell Jester what he has to target via the Jester AI menu or Jester is that good at it thats it full automode with any involvement of the player. Super boring.

100%

I'm not sure what changed about the pilot default.lua, but I had to add the commands for it to work. Probably because they added some commands to jester regarding elevation... or something...

I’m assuming it would be like AFAC or JTAC. Except you see the laser move from one target to the next

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

Indeed - Have a browse through this thread I started regarding the topic - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243104

The pitchfork-shaking and screams of 'but mah realism!' and 'online cheat mode' were next level (apparently doubling the pilots workload is somehow an advantage lol) - I just stayed out of it entirely as some of the arguments were just ridiculous.

Nevertheless - you could say some people are rather passionate about the whole concept of how other complete strangers enjoy their own simulations they have paid their own money for.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Indeed - Have a browse through this thread I started regarding the topic - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243104

The pitchfork-shaking and screams of 'but mah realism!' and 'online cheat mode' were next level (apparently doubling the pilots workload is somehow an advantage lol) - I just stayed out of it entirely as some of the arguments were just ridiculous.

Nevertheless - you could say some people are rather passionate about the whole concept of how other complete strangers enjoy their own simulations they have paid their own money for.

While it can be an advantage in certain situations to just skip the coordination between the pilot and the RIO by just accessing the LANTIRN directly as the pilot, the problem was more about turning DCS into a fantasy fest by adding magic functions that have no resemblance in real life. Especially if there is no need for it as Jester will be able to use the LANTIRN.

DCS is not about providing the most gamey solution, but about simulating aircraft as close as possible as they are IRL, and IRL there is no ability for the pilot to control the LANTIRN.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

DCS is not about providing the most gamey solution, but about simulating aircraft as close as possible as they are IRL, and IRL there is no ability for the pilot to control the LANTIRN.

I know that. But even if someone sits in a green suite in front of his monitor and talks funny. DCS is a GAME. A sim game. Yes, but still a game.

If the developer does not want to artificially restrict his customer base he has to find solutions which help the gameplay.

All that stuff like VR, hotas, trackir, custompits,... is already that clumsy and impractical. If they want to sell their products gameplay needs to improve.

Not much people are that crazy like us and invest thousands of [input random currency] to get their thrill. Most people are sane :)

I know that. But even if someone sits in a green suite in front of his monitor and talks funny. DCS is a GAME. A sim game. Yes, but still a game.

If the developer does not want to artificially restrict his customer base he has to find solutions which help the gameplay.

All that stuff like VR, hotas, trackir, custompits,... is already that clumsy and impractical. If they want to sell their products gameplay needs to improve.

Not much people are that crazy like us and invest thousands of [input random currency] to get their thrill. Most people are sane :)

Well, you've got to draw a line somewhere. You can't make a game that satisfies both, hardcore simmers as well as Battlefield/CoD fans.

There will be a solution how LANTIRN operation can be done by anyone (Jester), so I really don't see the necessity to cut down on the simulation part here. :dunno:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Think of it as you playing both pilot and RIO at the same time.

It's not a big break in the sim, because it's not giving the aircraft itself capabilities it did not have. It is giving the player the ability to play both seats at once, in a limited capacity.

I dont see the big issue, even from the perspective of the ultra realism RP crowd.

Reloading an aircraft in 1 minute or repairing it in 180 seconds is way more realism breaking.

Edited by Dino Might

Reloading an aircraft in 1 minute or repairing it in 180 seconds is way more realism breaking.

Yes indeed, among other things. :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

Think of it as you playing both pilot and RIO at the same time.

And you think it's ok in the sim? Look, the people don't care how you mod/cheat/misuse the game in SP - only the MP they have a problem with.

Yes it is. But it's OT here and not HB fault.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I'm not sure how:

• pressing a button/key to ...
  • simulate saying to the simulated person in the back, e.g. "do this"

is any less realistic than

• pressing a button that ...
  • calls a menu (maybe simulating some phantasmagorical dial projected holographically into your vision???) that ...
  • you then have to select an option and then ..
  • pressing a button/key to ...
  • simulate saying to the simulated person in the back, e.g. "do this"

But hey, what do I know? I've never flown the Tomcat IR (nor have I started dabbling with A2G/Lantirn in the sim).

(And sure, you can use VoiceAttack to bring things closer to reality with the latter ... but then you can do the exact same with the former as well. And once setup right, from the point of view of PVI, it's exactly the same).

Edited by Bearfoot

Start with some delay between the command and execution... then you realize you don't say "do this" as a pilot. It's RIO who says "fly 120 steady... got some LGBs to drop"... and you do this - fly - not play with his toys.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Start with some delay between the command and execution... then you realize you don't say "do this" as a pilot. It's RIO who says "fly 120 steady... got some LBS to drop"... and you do this - fly - not play with his toys.

(1) then add some delay to execution. This is, in fact, how jester is modeled now with other aspects anyway. Point is to reduce the fiddling with game interface (menus's etc) and keep focus on the world. If the sole justification of the menu being more realistic is to force a delay, then it is the least realistic way to go about doing it (as opposed to having jester take a while to respond).

(2) "fly 120 steady... got some LBS to drop".. Yep, would LOVE to fly that way. So the solution would be to get Jester smart enough to carry out the mission (including decided what to drop, how to drop, when to drop etc., covering both preplanned or ad hoc targets) and just tell the pilot how/where to fly or radically upgrade Iceman so that the (single) player can take up the RIO seat 100% while Iceman flies reasonable combat maneuevers. Either of those would be the realistic simulation approach. But again, not seeing how going through a complex series of multiple steps on a graphical menu that obscures pilot vision and takes up pilot attention is more realistic than just binding the commands to a key.

But again, I have never sat in either seat IRL nor have I done a single A2G mission in the Tomcat yet!

And you think it's ok in the sim? Look, the people don't care how you mod/cheat/misuse the game in SP - only the MP they have a problem with.

Yes it is. But it's OT here and not HB fault.

I still cant understand the view that this is unacceptable in multiplayer because its breaking some arbitrary realism threshold. In real life, you would have a RIO. You wouldnt be flying every mission as TOO with no support. You wouldnt be doing a million other things that are done regularly in multiplayer that break with reality far more.

The F14 with Jester works pretty well as intended. The F14 with the LANTIRN pilot mod still pretty well simulates F14 capabilities. That the pilot is activating the buttons vice a backseater is pretty immaterial.

IT IS NOT GIVING THE AIRCRAFT ANY CAPABILITIES IT DID NOT HAVE.

If your complaint is having 1 person able to play the F14 rather than requiring two, then your real argument is with Jester and the entire concept of multi crew airframes in DCS. Get rid of the Huey, the Mi8, the Gazelle, and all the other aircraft that let you flip switches on the copilot panel.

Lastly, have you used this mod? Are you concerned that it is easier for the F14 to employ LGBs somehow? I can tell you, it's not easier as one person doing the work of two people. It is easier to have one person available to play than to have two available at the same time - that's it.

My comparisons are not OT because you are bringing reality challenges as the rationale for banning the mod. I contend that many things done in multiplayer grant totally unrealistic capabilities to many aircraft and still get a pass from you, so your views on this mod are based on a double standard.

Edited by Dino Might

My comparisons are not OT because you are bringing reality challenges as the rationale for banning the mod. I contend that many things done in multiplayer grant totally unrealistic capabilities to many aircraft and still get a pass from you, so your views on this mod are based on a double standard.

No, I actively express my opinion that such things as fast repair and reload are not realistic and I don't like them in DCS. So I am doing the same in this thread.

Please not forget that F-14B is still EA - makes refund requests a bit funny.

@Bearfoot: Not that Jester is all alone in the power of LGBs, the pilot still has his work to do (and much more in DCS than IRL I suppose) and most importantly: release button. I concur that Jester menu is not the right way - voice commands are.

Edited by draconus