Suggestions for euro style joystick hand brake?

TripRodriguez

Hey guys.

What I'm looking for here is for you guys to post the best solutions you've come up with (or seen others post) for adding the analog/variable bicycle brake style brake handle to an existing joystick.

I plan to do this as soon as possible and I'd like to see all in one place some different options for what parts to buy and how to connect the sensor to the cable, how to create the spring tension, etc. as easily and neatly as possible.

I can do it on my own, but it won't be elegant and will probably break periodically. =P

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

Handbrake build

Hi Trip,

Here is my method.

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=213967&stc=1&d=1563538438

I used a Push to Break momentary switch, so the brake is on by default. (Flying Mi-8 mostly but relevant to Ka50 and fixed wing aircraft too). So by pulling the brake lever, the brake is released as the pressure on the PTB switch is lifted. When the lever is let go, the compression spring reapplies pressure to the PTB switch, and the brake is on again.

The compression spring and switch housing I attached to the base of the cyclic so it will go inside the boot/gaiter, using jubilee clips.

Motorcycle brake lever off ebay, brake cable off ebay, scraps of 1mm/2mm aluminium sheet... off ebay, compression spring...off ebay. I think you get the idea!

Need any more info, just ask.

M

handbrake_build.thumb.jpg.bee473fad27cf4df43422ea5c8e4529b.jpg

Edited by molevitch
adding some info

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Scrap yards have all kinds of bicycle handbrakes you can easily use.

No need to go as far as a scrapyard. Most lamp-posts or railings have an abandoned bicycle frame attached, no wheels or saddle, just a sad rusting frame and usually with the brake handles still attached! That's where I got my first version of my system....

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

bsd sig 2021.jpg

An example from avia-sim.ru forum, a brake lever using contactless sensor (GVL224 MagREZ). Can use HALL sensor like Honeweell SS495A1 or Allegro A1324EUAT instead, both work in analog mode, and can be used in a small and cheap (~$5) Arduino PRO Micro with MMjoy2* firmware.

file.php?id=9020

http://avia-sim.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=759&start=180#p30661

This bolt coming out of box allow some adjust spring lever tension.

*Can use some Arduino joystick sketch, but MMjoy2 firmware allow configure just one axis if want and has filter, inversion, calibration and axis curves adjusts embed.

But can make a code for Arduino supporting load cell - instead buy a relatively expensive BU-0836LC.

An potentiometer is not practical for a brake lever due the small angle of movement of lever, what implicates use gears in pot, making the assembly big.

Like in Glolin solution, an DIY brake lever. I did some attempts with bicycle brakes lever and find them a bit cumbersome.

But Aliexpress has nice models - case don't like of one in the rusty bicycle in nearest post. :)

This "brake lever" for electric scouter have electrical connection, seems for clutch control - probable and ON-OFF button, maybe an option:

https://www.banggood.com/Aluminum-Brake-Handle-Brake-Lever-Protection-Cover-For-Xiaomi-Electrical-Scooter-Replacement-Part-p-1354203.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Edited by Sokol1_br

Thanks for the great replies guys!

Here is another question, how/where do you guys order your arduinos? The last time I bought some (Nanos) on ebay it turned out the boards were missing some specific component/feature that it just so happened was what I bought them for. =( Don't ask for details, I don't remember! Anyway they wound up being salvaged for pin headers and then thrown away.

I have some Teensy LC also I think laying around that I couldn't get to work by trying to read a little and fumble through the Arduino code. I'd have to take a good number of hours to sit and try to learn enough and time is hard to come by around here. Maybe I'll start doing some bed time reading. =)

@Mole I've got to go get the BS2 manual off the gaming rig and start reading it, it sounds like you are saying the brake lever (at least on the Russian aircraft) is on/off rather than variable? (Edit: just looked at your thread and see you used a load cell. My collective and microhelis gimbal are on a BUO-836A so I'll have to look at that option!)

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Trip,

yes, I think the brakes are very much off-on, but I wait to be corrected.

I used a momentary PTB button switch, while Goblin is using a load cell. That button is talking to a Bodnar board.

Because I am taking an almost “set-building” approach, I try to keep everything as authentic looking as possible, or even authentic vintage equipment back engineered. So for me, if I can I make bits as small and concealable as possible.

M

bsd sig 2021.jpg

I have some Teensy LC also I think laying around that I couldn't get to work by trying to read a little and fumble through the Arduino code.

Teensy LC is an good hardware (CORTEX), the guy seems have a functional joystick code - that you can simplify leaving only one axis, one button - for games/planes that don't allow set axis for "wheel brakes".

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/33785-Teensy-LC-Joystick-Controller-USB-problems?p=100907&viewfull=1#post100907

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to try that teensy code out as soon as I can find time. There's an LC sitting right here on the kitchen table next to my laptop as I write this.

I'm still going to want the hand brake for the Ka-50 and other aircraft that use it, but I think I've changed my mind about making the Shark my primary helicopter.

It's been two years since I flew the Ka-50 and I forgot just how ridiculously easy that thing is to fly. The most fun thing about flying helicopters IMO is the fact that they are constantly trying to kill you. =) The Huey is excellent for that.. raw and untamed with serious tendency to go into VRS. Flying a combat med-evac/extraction while under fire in that thing takes some skills!

I just hate having to deal with the second seat. That, and I really prefer the much more complex start up procedures of the Russian aircraft.

I'm still planning to learn the Ka-50 and play the campaigns, but not sure whether or not I'll build the pit now. I think I'm going to start working on completing my slightly less than half finished Huey pit for now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]