On ground "Waypoint step through" is wrong

Quip

FALSE WARNING. NO BUG.

But still interesting if you want to learn something about the CK37. If so, read my reply further down this thread

---------------

Hey

I checked this with a Viggen driver, and the way that the step through of the waypoints while on ground in BER mode is wrong.

I'm referring to whats shown on the CI with the heading bug "W" and on the distance gauge.

Currently, selecting B1 shows the distance and heading from your position to B1.

Then selecting B2 shows the distance and heading from your position to B2.

And so on.

This is wrong

The way it's supposed to work is the following...

Selecting B1 shows the distance and heading to from your position (roughly LS) to B1.

Then selecting B2 would show the distance and heading from B1 to B2.

And so on.

This is in fact said in the SFI of the AJ as well as the AJS, but it's not clear what they mean. Ever since the release of the HB AJS I have wondered about this, and now - as I said - I have had it confirmed.

My source said (quote from memory)

That's how we checked the flight plan that we had on paper against what was on the datacard, while in the cockpit: we would step through the waypoints and compare distances and headings

See image.

386444611_AJSBugBER.png.81e973ce9c5508ab3543e3812f6c63de.png

Edited by Quip

Hope the devs see this. Great catch.

Intel Core i7-4770K - ASUS Maximus VI Formula, Socket-1150 - Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2400MHz 16GB - NVIDIA GTX1080Ti - Eizo 27" LED FlexScan EV2736W-BK, 2560x1440 (Processor, graphiccard and MOS-FET custom watercooled)

Here's the passage translated from SFI Del 1 AJS 37

When assignment data is entered, one should make an accuracy check of the assignment. This means that by using so-called control fixes one simulates the flights along the entered navigation polygon. During the simulation, the length and direction of the navigation legs are checked against the own navigation calculations. The accuracy check is performed as follows:

The shift selector is set to the BER and data selector in the POS / OUT position.

The waypoint switch LS is pressed and a fix is performed on LS (the fix switch is pressed to the TV position). The navigation system now considers the aircraft to be in the LS position. Then, the destination waypoint is selected by pressing the breakpoint button B1 on the navigation panel.

The destination indicator now shows B1. The distance indicator shows the distance between the starting base and the first waypoint. On the course indicator, the bug shows bearing to the waypoint. The fuel indicator for the assignment is read on the fuel indicator.

Control to the next leg is correspondingly performed by fix on B1 and destination switching to B2. The distance between B1 and B2 is read on the distance indicator. Bearing from B1 to B2 is shown by the course indicator's bug. The fuel requirement for the remaining part of the assignment is read on the fuel indicator.

Note

By comparing the fuel requirement for the section B1 - L1 with the fuel requirement for the distance LS - L1, fuel consumption for the partial section LS - B1 is obtained.

The accuracy check ends with a fix on LS to obtain the correct position. If this is not done, however, the starting base coordinates are automatically set as the self-position when the data selector is set to the TID (TIME) position or the shifter selector is set to the NAV position.

This text is exactly the same as the text in the AJS37 manual RC1 p 189 by HB.

So I tested in the cockpit. And in fact, as far as I can tell, it worked. You just need to follow the proper procedure (above).

The key is to RTFM...

Look at the image.

I'm obviously on the ground, and B3 is shown on the waypoint indicator window. The gauges show 101 degrees and 34 km.

And that's approximately correct for the leg B2 -- B3. From my position, the heading is more like 40 degrees.

So after all that, I switched back to LS, did a TV-fix and that was it.

Screen_190118_102803.thumb.png.80f7319733bb6de6347bcff3c1576c59.png

Here's the passage translated from SFI Del 1 AJS 37

This text is exactly the same as the text in the AJS37 manual RC1 p 189 by HB.

So I tested in the cockpit. And in fact, as far as I can tell, it worked. You just need to follow the proper procedure (above).

The key is to RTFM...

Look at the image.

I'm obviously on the ground, and B3 is shown on the waypoint indicator window. The gauges show 101 degrees and 34 km.

And that's approximately correct for the leg B2 -- B3. From my position, the heading is more like 40 degrees.

So after all that, I switched back to LS, did a TV-fix and that was it.

Thanks for the great post!

I think most of us (including me) didn't recognize this procedure in full detail, always trusting the correct programming of the data card ("yea babe, it will work anyway because its a freaking fantastic computer game ...").

Advancing myself in the Viggen during the last 2 years, and considering a manual input of a flight plan (or bigger parts thereof) when using the "ATTACK" mark on the map during a multiplayer session would require me to change some waypoint coordinates prior the attack waypoint ("M"). This is for using advantage of landscape details for coverage and so on.

Applying this procedure in full detail will make much more sense in terms of good reference, than having a reference to the LS where I am currently standing.

Great stuff guys, really great stuff!!

And by the way, ... RC1(2) should be read (and understood) much more ... generally speaking ... :P

If the honoring system of this forum would be online, I spent you a coffee ...

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1