Dedicated Server Hardware

Zlin

I'm considering buying a Dell rack mounted server to use as a Dedicated DCS Server. I'm noticing that the Dell rack mount servers all seem to have XEON processors. In regard to running a dedicated DCS server, is the XEON processor a good thing or a bad thing or it doesn't matter? Does DCS even run on a XEON processor? Would it run better on a XEON processor than a regular i7 ? Also... do I want to actually be using Windows Server OS on it or can I just load Windows 10 (Home/Pro/whatever) ????

Edited by Zlin

I'd only consider a rackmount server only if I were going to rent space for in on a datacenter .. on the home they are too noisy and use up too much space. The Xeon is similar to a Core i7, but keep in mind that some can be pretty old and have less single core performance than a modern Core i5.

If you tell the precise model of Xeon, we could then find what level of performance it has.

Also, I'm not sure if DCS Dedicated Server needs or not a DX11 compatible video card and audio hardware ... perhaps someone else may speak on it.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I'd only consider a rackmount server only if I were going to rent space for in on a datacenter .. on the home they are too noisy and use up too much space. The Xeon is similar to a Core i7, but keep in mind that some can be pretty old and have less single core performance than a modern Core i5.

If you tell the precise model of Xeon, we could then find what level of performance it has.

Also, I'm not sure if DCS Dedicated Server needs or not a DX11 compatible video card and audio hardware ... perhaps someone else may speak on it.

My options look like

Xeon E-2144G 3.6 GHz, 8M cache, 4C/8T, turbo (71W)

or

Xeon E5 v4 processor (several to choose from but all seem to be 2.4GHZ to 3.4GHz)

My options look like

Xeon E-2144G 3.6 GHz, 8M cache, 4C/8T, turbo (71W)

or

Xeon E5 v4 processor (several to choose from but all seem to be 2.4GHZ to 3.4GHz)

OK, the E-2144 is the newest, being launched on 2018 ... it has a single core passmark of 2620 .. which is the same as a Core i5 9600K .. the Xeon has 4 physical cores and the Core i5 has 6 (but no hyperthreading) .. both have about the same cache and frequencies.

The Xeon E5 v4 is older, dating from 2016 .. for DCS it's best a unit with around 4-6 cores, for example the E5-1630v4 has a single core passmark of 2150 so it is about 20% slower than the E-2144 ... equivalent to a Core i3-8300

Which you choose will depend on the price .. on my country it is usually not cost/effective the use of server processors .. consumer processors are usually as fast and less expensive.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

You don't need a GPU to run dedicated server but it makes installing software easier.

Servers can be tricky to work with. If you have your eye on those cheap CPU's and RAM, might be worth looking at a workstation. The Dell T-xxxx series is rack mountable, modular, sometimes really cheap on ebay and they are enough like a "normal" computer that they will PROBABLY not give you a ton of trouble. Get one with Windows pre-installed cuz finding and installing drivers for those old dinosaurs can be really tricky

Here's a good example https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-T5600-1x-E5-2643-3-33GHz-QC-16GB-Q2000-H310-600GB-10K-W10Pro/163362063559?hash=item26092344c7%3Ag%3AmO8AAOSwL9tbfyLB&LH_BIN=1

You can get one a little cheaper, most of the cheap ones have like 2.2 - 2.4 GHz CPU's but that could be enough, if not it's easy to swap out. WIndows 7 seems to work as well as 10 for the server

It is possible to put an SSD in there, you'll need an adapter or a caddy for it but it'll go. Alternatively it might be interesting to get one with two HDD's and see if Raid0 will give you the speed you're looking for. You can also put a beast of a GPU in there, or dual GPU's. Really nice PSU. Not a bad mining platform actually. Not great for gaming though.

Question of whether it's worth $500, I mean, you don't have any old computers lying around? We haven't found a box yet that WON"T run the dedicated server

Sticking something in a data center makes no economic sense at all, a $40 VPS is plenty

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

im currently renting a server - but figured I could save a little money by owning my own machine.

What do you guys think of this box to run DCS strickly as a server?

its a i7 4770, 16GB Ram, 240GB Brand New SSD for only about $350

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-9020-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B076X6QRTD?pf_rd_p=0fc3f2c4-3ed5-4d11-9995-8d7c82394713&pd_rd_wg=sSNmw&pf_rd_r=W413W0ECKCNP0DNBH7E2&ref_=pd_gw_cr_simh&pd_rd_w=tHzxh&pd_rd_r=395d7ab4-fdc0-413c-8669-1a9c3a75811f

Coming Soon...
The Fraternity Returns : https://thefraternitysim.com/

well i mean it meets minimums easily. i've hosted four people on 3 2.4ghz haswell cores and 6Gb of RAM, and managed to cram win7 and dcs onto a 120Gb SSD, if that helps... only question in my mind is how much RAM would it take to run a really massive enterprise like GAW. which, don't be surprised, you have web presence and great ideas

note buying used/off-lease equipment on ebay is a gamble. i think it's a good gamble but don't count on buyer protection, a certain percent of these units are destined for the dumpster. "Carefully analyzed by highly trained technicians wearing white coats" means they threw it in a box and mailed it to ya usually and if it doesn't work it's cuz you installed "software programs" of some sort which is not covered by warranty

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

• 2 months later...

The first question that should have been asked is how many connections are you planning on servicing?

First, you have to think of any I processor as a family car and the Xeon as a Mack truck. To keep the server up you'd need to set up a series of drives in a RAID. You'd need at least 64GB of memory depending on how many people your going to have on it at a time.

Next up is how much bandwidth are you going to have. There's a lot of data flowing down those pipes.

You can PM me if you want but I think you might be getting in over you head in both cost and experience.

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS