Rotary knobs, how to?

witwas

Hi Guys,

Great to hear that the NS430 system is implemented in dcs.

Since i mainly fly in vr it is a bit a pain in the ass to use the rotary knobs with your mouse (especially when not on the ground).

Is there a way to buy two physical knobs and connect them to a pc via usb?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you want to mimic the real thing, Leo Bodnar offers ELMA E37 stacked rotary encoders and matching knobs, which you'll have to wire up to a suitable interface board (I think you can DIY that with a $3.60 Arduino Pro Micro and MMJoy).

The off-the-shelf stacked encoders are quite expensive considering you can get normal ones as a bag of 10 for $6 from China, but apparently they are almost exclusively found in avionics and other markets where high reliability is important, so no one makes a low-quality cheap alternative.

Warhog did a DIY solution with nested brass tubing and some gears for the A-10C TACAN panel:

http://s221.photobucket.com/user/MRAR15/library/A10%20Cockpit%20Panels?sort=3&page=11

Yes, the Leo Bodnar stacked rotary encoder works just like any other rotary encoder, there just happens to be 2 of them. The encoder comes with a breakout board to make it easier to use breadboard-friendly PC pins with it, but you will have to solder everything yourself.

If you've never attempted something like this before, I recommend you pick up an Arduino or Teensy and a cheap rotary encoder from Adafruit or Sparkfun. It should cost you $30 or so. You can see how difficult it is, and if acceptable, you can then commit to the Leo Bodnar one.