shadows flickering in the cockpit

malcheus

Hi all,

Whenever I turn shadows on, there is some horrible flickering going on inside the cockpit.

Has this been encountered before, and is there a possible known solution that lets one play with shadows, and without flickering?

I have a hunch people know what I'm talking about, but I can also make a screencapture of it if required.

I am using an AMD5700XT graphics card.

Cheers!

Hi all,

Whenever I turn shadows on, there is some horrible flickering going on inside the cockpit.

Has this been encountered before, and is there a possible known solution that lets one play with shadows, and without flickering?

I have a hunch people know what I'm talking about, but I can also make a screencapture of it if required.

I am using an AMD5700XT graphics card.

Cheers!

Its the rotor blades.

Its the rotor blades.

I understand its supposed to look like the rotor blades, but it looks very erratic, pretty much randomly shadowing spots on the "dashboard".

I made a capture showing what it looks like:

Or direct link:

Edited by BIGNEWY
fixed youtube

I understand its supposed to look like the rotor blades, but it looks very erratic, pretty much randomly shadowing spots on the "dashboard".

I made a capture showing what it looks like:

${1}

Or direct link:

Looks like rotor blade to me. try turning shadows of and see if that helps

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Turning off shadows removes it ofcourse, as I said:

Whenever I turn shadows on, there is some horrible flickering going on inside the cockpit

But removing shadows altogether makes the game look a lot less appealing.

When I compare what I see with other captures from youtube, I do see a difference.

For example this one:

at 2:40 you see shadows flickering at regular (2-3 times per second) intervals across the whole dashboard.

In my clip it seems to be a higher frequency and rather erratically flashing on random parts of the dashboard.

It's more clear if you play them at reduced speed.

Anyway, I think you should never be able to see a shadow moving across your dashboard, if the rotor spins at 3000 RPM it should flash across your dashboard 100 times per second :music_whistling:

An unpleasant shadow effect of the rotor can cause epileptic seizures, but in the new cockpit of the KA-50 shadow looks a little better.

Please ED do a review of the rotor the effect of the shadow, thank you very much.

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Normal main rotor rpm (NR) for the UH-1H is 324.

- Bear

Then it should still pass over your consoles 10 times per second (given 2 blades) rather than 3-4 times.

I for one would love the option to turn off rotor shadows.

Also looking at other modules, the Ka50 looks similar (not sure if this is the same version):

(at 22:55 it's clear)

Gazelle seems a little bit better:

Unfortunately the rotor shadows are bugged more or less in all DCS helicopters. The way it's coded in DCS has nothing to do with how they look in reality.

The game tries to paint the shadow under each blade. But in real life the blades move at ~300 RPM, while the game runs at 60-100 fps (if you're lucky). This creates an ugly strobe effect with the shadows, similar to what you get when you try to film a helicopter with a regular camera.

IIRC back in DCS 1.5 or even 1.2 the shadows were drawn differently and that flicker was not present, but since the graphics engine "upgrade" this just became one of the many things that ED never got to fix.

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro