Rudder coordination in aileron rolls?

Nealius

I've been flying the Spit for a while to practice rudder coordination that I can then apply to the Tomcat, but I'm curious about the aileron rolls.

In the Spit, I find that I can keep the nose beautifully straight by first applying rudder in the direction of roll, then transitioning to opposite rudder at the 90 (rudder essentially becomes elevator), then easing off the rudder to neutral as passing through inverted, and feeding rudder back in at the 270 (when rudder becomes elevator again), then of course easing back to neutral as I roll level.

Easy peasy with the Spit's slow roll rate.

Now put me in the Tomcat, perhaps wings partially swept, and the roll rate is fast. How do your feet keep up?

I've found the ball to lag behind the nose too much to be reliable.

In props at least, opposite rudder at the 90 is mandatory unless you want to nose to drop. Even with a pitch up before the roll, the nose will fall to the horizon (if not through) without opposite rudder.

Nealius,

depending on weapons loadout and fuel load the F-14s weight can be close to 10 times the roughly 3-ton weight of a Spitfire.Guess it has a tiny bit more of inertia therefore.

So maybe its not that eager with dropping its nose, unless out of energy.

Kind regards,

Snappy

Boy oh boy...... at higher AoA add rudder in direction of roll, for lower AoA add opposite rudder. How much and when? I wish i knew. I can handle predictable rolls, up to 90-120 degrees maybe, but full 360 or even 180? Nah...... i just kick in slight rudder add full side stick, release rudder and pray to god/s of aeronautics to keep me safe. In a dogfight, i usually don't even try to coordinate, as my inputs are almost always late, besides i am not always sure at what AoA i am. Flying the cross helps though.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache