* DCS: F-14 Development Update! Scan, Lock, Fire! *

Cobra847

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the great update! If I could make a suggestion though... You might want to start tamping down 2017 expectations. It sounds like it may be a while until its ready. I'm happy to wait for quality but you know there will be riots if we don't hear about it until December 31st...

I believe that is their intention with the "Road to Release" update that Cobra referenced in his OP...

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I think the Harrier, hopefully a hornet and DCSW 2.5 delivery before the end of the year will carry us through well into next year.

I really doubt the Hornet and DCSW 2.5 will be this year.

I give it a 0% chance.

Can't wait for the F-14. Hopefully they will still manage to get it out to us in December :)

That would mean pre-sale really soon though so they are running out of time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Two things stand out from this overview:

TCS: I thought the screenshots were of a TCS in use in the real world. It looks amazing and holds even more significance for me, given things I learned while reading a book I'm using for research for an article.

Apparently, the TCS wasn't available on all F-14s in every squadron, even well after its introduction into the fleet. In one squadron during a mid-1980s deployment, only three of twelve Tomcats had it. It goes to show you that the F-14 never really became "ultimate" until almost two decades after its introduction.

Jester AI: I think this will actually become the "killer app" of the module. We've had AI flight crew in the past, but never to the level of intelligence as Jester appears to be at. Ordering "it" to look in a particular direction, for instance - that's not just a sign of how much flight sims have become sophisticated, but also how advanced AI has become in general.

I was playing Fleet Defender a while back and, just seeing screenshots and reading previews for DCS: F-14 makes Fleet Defender look like a cheap survey sim. We've come a very long way in 23 years, baby!

I really doubt the Hornet and DCSW 2.5 will be this year.

I give it a 0% chance.

Considering one of the latest SithSpawn’s post on the new Caucasus map thread, your "0% chance" seems a bit excessive. As someone asked if there was hope for a Christmas release, he simply replied : "I have hope."

If I remember it correctly, the new Caucasus map will be available with the 2.5, right ?

I want to believe

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Heatblur, your team is seriously raising the bar for module development in DCS. Well done!

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

I do have respect for all of the 3rd party developers. However, none of them beat Heatblur when it comes to photorealistic cockpits. Belsimteks have a plastic kind of look and not so amazing texture work, though the modules themselves are great. Razbam make really good looking cockpits, but Heatblur is on another level. The Mig-21, the Viggen and now this. Amazing!

Outstanding news report!

It even shared some light about the Sidewinder modes/functions.

Would be great if it gets available in December... who knows ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Great update, this module will really raise the bar! The radar system seems very complex at first sight, I'm glad I'll have Jester in my backseat to handle it. I'm especially happy to hear about those 2000+ sound files, I'm sure it will be very immersive.

Special kudos for the cockpit textures. Those greasy smudges on that screen...wow...simply wow...

Keep these updates coming, and I hope the Tomcat lands under my Christmas tree with an OK 3 wire! :)

Considering one of the latest SithSpawn’s post on the new Caucasus map thread, your "0% chance" seems a bit excessive. As someone asked if there was hope for a Christmas release, he simply replied : "I have hope."

If I remember it correctly, the new Caucasus map will be available with the 2.5, right ?

I want to believe

Ok, 2% chance then.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Stop to update the interwebs whilst finishing up the greatest DCS module of all time....

images.jpeg?format=original

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

prerelease: omg smudges wow nice

postrelease: someone please make clean screen mod

well smudges are the mark of a bad ground crew /s

If you want to talk to anyone about anything personal, send it to their PM box. Interpersonal drama and ad hominem rebuttal are things that do not belong on a thread viewed by the public.

One thing i have to point out... naming a thread.. "OK, so" is as useful as tits on a bull.

well smudges are the mark of a bad ground crew /s

The smudges are probably from the ground crew who fixed the system that the pilot broke and will soon be using. That's why pilots wear gloves, to wipe off the screen.

• Like 1

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

Hi heatblur guys. Is there a chance you could update us on how you are planning to record sounds or have perhaps already recorded sounds for the distinctive sounding TF-30 engines?

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Hi heatblur guys. Is there a chance you could update us on how you are planning to record sounds or have perhaps already recorded sounds for the distinctive sounding TF-30 engines?

We have a soundset of F-14 engines and for any missing characteristics, these will be synthesized or grabbed from similar aircraft, such as the F-111 TF-30s.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I have this problem at work to, stop touching the damn screen people lol!

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD