DCS last Update: Big problem !!!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ED Team
Providing default profiles for the controllers of course is good. But why load them, when custom profiles are already there? All the problems stem from this behavior and could be remedied with a simple check.

So what is the benefit for the customers to do it the way it is now? What happens when the default profile for a controller is changed? Are 3rd party developers forced to provide default profiles, too?

@NineLine: Thank you for trying to find the answers to the above questions.

The issues this is trying to clear up is inconsistencies in controls, you know how you can search for one function in one module, but its completely different in another? Things like this. after that the can expand on improvements to how bindings are done, better interface, etc. BUT you guys take the hit, and I am sorry for that, but it's in the name of progress. We saw similar issues during the development of the A-10C, growing pains.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Got the same problem here too. Just noticed when I was trying to landing on the Stennis and the button that I use for activate the arresting hook was not working :lol:

At least was just my HOTAS Throttle and my T-50/Warthog Stick, my MFD's setups are ok.

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

I think that is one of the goals, but again, getting the standardize across all modules causes growing pains like this.

When this happens (and I hope it will eventually, rebinding the same commonly used axis, buttons, etc. accross all modules is a pain) I have a feeling another clean config "wipe" like this will be needed once again.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

...I apologize, as someone that is redoing his bindings every other day and for multiple versions, I know how much work it is.
You don't need to apologize, NineLine. Thank you.

Yes, those are the recommendations from the devs.
I'm not affected either. Should I rebind everything even everything works fine?

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

The issues this is trying to clear up is inconsistencies in controls, you know how you can search for one function in one module, but its completely different in another? Things like this. after that the can expand on improvements to how bindings are done, better interface, etc. BUT you guys take the hit, and I am sorry for that, but it's in the name of progress. We saw similar issues during the development of the A-10C, growing pains.

That's great, but don't you think it would be a good idea for ED to include this MASSIVE change of direction in the build logs so people can at least try to prepare instead of getting a head shot? I read the logs before I decide to update. Nothing of this was mentioned.

I was right in the middle of painting aircraft and needed the controls to view the aircraft externally in game. No notification what so ever until we find out the hard way. Not cool, at all. Now instead of painting, I've got to rebind ALL modules because I own them all. Involuntarily re-tasked into fixing this mess.

Besides that, someone took a shortcut. There's no way it's not possible to read a .lua file and compare to the new one with the new changes and migrate the user's custom settings or at least ask them to rebind the ones that have changed if they want to. You code should read, user's setting is X for control input named Y, User setting X is now migrated to new control name Z. I don't see how that is not doable. Instead, the entire task is dumped in the end-user's lap to resolve. A rule of thumb in the dev world is NEVER cause a work stoppage with a deployment. In this case, the work is your end-user using your product. And I'd say the work has stopped, no doubt.

Edited by Bananimal

Bananimal's DCS Mods and Skins

Although I appreciate the intend of providing presets for certain input devices - why are those forced on the customers? Why not make it optional, e.g. by putting them on the website and say: 'we are providing presets for these devices, if you wish to use them please download for the appropriate devices and import the profiles into DCS the following way...'

Why ruin the experience for people who do not wish to use presets as they have assigned the bindings as they saw fit for themselves? Why force them to rebind, possibly again in the future as changes may be made?

The only profile I would be interested in is the Warthog profile for the A-10C as it translates pretty much one-to-one. All other preset profiles can stay very well off my PC as I will do that myself. Preferably *once*.

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

• ED Team

It should have been in the changelogs, but it still would have happened. Using DCS like you are to do painting and such, would make much more sense to use Stable, you would have more warning. Generally, its recommended not to mod Open Beta, and expect or go into Open Beta with the idea things like controls would need remapping.

So sure, it should have been in the patch notes, but I expect most of you would have jumped on the patch anyway, so I appreciate your frustration, but doing your painting projects in a more unstable environment of Open Beta is something you need to maybe reconsider.

That goes for the rest of your post, reconsider Open Beta, it's not for everyone.

That's great, but don't you think it would be a good idea for ED to include this MASSIVE change of direction in the build logs so people can at least try to prepare instead of getting a head shot? I read the logs before I decide to update. Nothing of this was mentioned.

I was right in the middle of painting aircraft and needed the controls to view the aircraft externally in game. No notification what so ever until we find out the hard way. Not cool, at all. Now instead of painting, I've got to rebind ALL modules because I own them all. Involuntarily re-tasked into fixing this mess.

Besides that, someone took a shortcut. There's no way it's not possible to read a .lua file and compare to the new one with the new changes and migrate the user's custom settings or at least ask them to rebind the ones that have changed if they want to. You code should read, user's setting is X for control input named Y, User setting X is now migrated to new control name Z. I don't see how that is not doable. Instead, the entire task is dumped in the end-user's lap to resolve. A rule of thumb in the dev world is NEVER cause a work stoppage with a deployment. In this case, the work is your end-user using your product. And I'd say the work has stopped, no doubt.

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
Although I appreciate the intend of providing presets for certain input devices - why are those forced on the customers? Why not make it optional, e.g. by putting them on the website and say: 'we are providing presets for these devices, if you wish to use them please download for the appropriate devices and import the profiles into DCS the following way...'

Why ruin the experience for people who do not wish to use presets as they have assigned the bindings as they saw fit for themselves? Why force them to rebind, possibly again in the future as changes may be made?

The only profile I would be interested in is the Warthog profile for the A-10C as it translates pretty much one-to-one. All other preset profiles can stay very well off my PC as I will do that myself. Preferably *once*.

They are redoing the base profiles, these are not optional, but the base upon which you will build your custom profiles on, hence the reason there is no option to save the current custom profiles.

64Sig.png

I might have nuked my install, but a friend told me in Discord to delete all the new profiles ( in the FA18's ../mods/aircrafts/fa18/input..) and just leave the default one in place. Did that and my old bindings were back so we could go flying tonight.

So I better repair the install ( to get the deleted files back ) and redo my bindings "properly" to save trouble down the road ?

If it helps fixing this bindings reset coming again and again I am all for it cause that is a real PITA, I mean REAL P I T A

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

At my job we have to give months of headsup and a clear migration path, plus environments for DEV, STAGING (manually test everything), UAT (battery of testers raise defects), PRE-PROD (test final integration) and PROD. Oh and did I mention all changes must pass through a CAB panel made up of 5 experts that will question you on the changes and approve them?

ED just releases a break-fix that completely messes up a big part of user work and just shrugs the shoulders... lol

A migration path, even if imperfect would be better than this, something like: "hey guys we are revamping the keybinds. We imported your keybinds to the best of our ability, but please do re-check your binds"

Edited by NineLine
Removed suggestion to have a bat file alter users installs, sorry not welcome here.

Proud owner of DCS: FC3, A-10C Warthog, F-14A/B Tomcat, F-5E Tiger, Mig21bis Fishbed, Mirage 2000C, Nevada Test Site, Normandy, Ka-50 Black Shark, Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle, Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst, FW 190 D-9 Dora, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D Mustang Combined Arms, Hawk T.1A, L-39 Albatros, NS 430 Nav System, F-86F Sabre, MiG-15bis, AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL, F/A-18C Hornet, Yak-52 and the mighty AJS-37 Viggen! :music_whistling:

Wow. Your team is doing a lot while maintaining a two week release cycle. And on a beta branch too.... Kudos!

ED gets a pass from me on this one. Yes, there should have been a blurb in the release notes, but we are on a two week schedule with a beta branch. I don't know how it used to be, but since I bought into DCS (Hornet release), communication and customer relations has been excellent. Nine has been around various forums with sympathy and an explanation. That is hardly "shrugs the shoulders".

If this change improves the product, I'm all for it.

Edited by Anklebiter

At my job we have to give months of headsup and a clear migration path, plus environments for DEV, STAGING (manually test everything), UAT (battery of testers raise defects), PRE-PROD (test final integration) and PROD. Oh and did I mention all changes must pass through a CAB panel made up of 5 experts that will question you on the changes and approve them?

ED just releases a break-fix that completely messes up a big part of user work and just shrugs the shoulders... lol

No-one's shrugged their shoulders and walked on.

You've been told that behind the scenes work is on-going, and out front Nineline has been actively trying to help users & provide both explanations and support.

One thing though - These changes made it through a change advisory board, DEV, staging, UAT (closed testing).

There's a testers group that used the changed files and either had few problems (I had no issues), or understood that in moving to a point that allowed easier implementation of future developments there would be some re-configuration necessary.

...and then in your path to release... - See this bit: "PRE-PROD (test final integration)" ?

That's you, right now.

In using the Beta, you are accepting that you are not prod, you are a tester who will experience bugs and unforeseen outcomes.

Some people have found that the changes brought a lot of issues.

& that's why there's an open beta, so the inconvenience can as much as possible be experienced by people that have already said they are prepared to accept the inconvenience of an unstable build.

Personally, I accept the coms about the possibility of issues could have been better, but I see one of the biggest unforeseen outcomes that occurred here being an underestimation of how many people expect the open-beta testing to actually be a stable release.

This is why I don't beta :D

Which means you've thought about the possibility of exactly this happening, and realised you'd rather have a stable build and wait for the features to come to 'PROD".

Good insight :)

Cheers.

I basically migrated my saved games configs into the DCS directory. This fixed the overlapping/competing config issue and everything now seems to be working fine. Is there any downside to this approach?

I suspect that I don't actually understand the function of the new files and that my changes will be overridden the next time DCS is updated. Are custom configs still saved to the saved games folder? (as a diff of a diff now?)

Edited by ReflexArc

Member of TAW-North America.

Practices Thursdays at 2045 Eastern. Missions Sundays at 1945 Eastern.

F/A-18C | A-10C | AV-8B | M2000C | Huey | KA-50

• ED Team
In a perfect world, users would buy an early access product and be reasonable and understanding whenever things break, and provide valuable and constructive feedback in an effort to resolve the issue and move the product forward.

In reality, you cannot possibly expect people to spend $80 on something and not be frustrated when that thing stops working.

Early access kind of feels like companies wanting to have their cake and eat it too. This whole new approach to software releases is flawed. That being said, I'm going to go now, I'm jonesin' to fly the hornet again.

How have you been kept from the Hornet? You can rebind as directed, or you can switch to the stable build, in both cases the Hornet works fine. Please don't make this more dramatic than it is, yes, its a pain to redo you bindings, guess, but it's not a block, or a crash, its an inconvenience.

64Sig.png

• ED Team
I basically migrated my saved games configs into the DCS directory. This fixed the overlapping/competing config issue and everything now seems to be working fine. Is there any downside to this approach?

I suspect that I don't actually understand the function of the new files and that my changes will be overridden the next time DCS is updated. Are custom configs still saved to the saved games folder? (as a diff of a diff now?)

Chances are if you have to run a repair or the next update (we are possibly getting a hotfix Friday not related to this) and those profiles will be overwritten. Just be aware of that, if you want to save them for some reason, better back them up.

64Sig.png

How to backup bindings in future.

In future when this is all sorted out does it mean if user wishes to backup input/bindings that are user's custom bindings then that will be the folder on right side of pic attached...for example: S:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick? So regular backup say of the 'aircraft' folder for all modules on a regular basis would be effective as backup.

Or will I still do backups of my custom bindings by backup of the folder on left side of pic attached...for example: C:\Users\Gary\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet\joystick? This is what I have done in past.

Am I correct in my understanding that any customs input/bindings are always in the Saved games folder not the program folder, and this will remain the same with this new bindings situation and DCS into the future? Bit confused as files called 'diff.lua' exist at both folder locations...help!

Thanking you...Gary

1794892794_differencebetweendiff.luafilesatdifferentfolderlocations.thumb.jpg.2a03d1d34bfa4fb841a601659877ef5b.jpg

I understand this is painful. And even in the beta branch, some heads up/warning would have been nice since it's a sweeping change.

Having said that, I'm all for it. Current control setup is quite annoying and broken. Having to setup flaps, gear, master arm across all modules is a pain. So if we can get a better way of configuring HOTAS, I'll suck it up and drive on.

But I'd be a liar if I didn't think about going back to TARGET :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

... Having to setup flaps, gear, master arm across all modules is a pain. So if we can get a better way of configuring HOTAS, I'll suck it up and drive on.

Where on the Warthog would you have "master arm" or "gear" for all modules? I wouldn't know; not even for the A-10C.

But I'd be a liar if I didn't think about going back to TARGET :)

Same here.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.