Which aircraft?

kontiuka

So which aircraft (plural) are you planning to try out during the free-for-all trial period?

The Yak-52 and the Fw-190A8 :thumbup:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

None...

+1

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

None...

Same

But only because m one of "those" people that own nearly everything. ( minus civil stuff like christen eagle etc)

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

... Actually, I`m interested in F14 and Viggen ...

Those two are precisely the only ones not available on this free-for-1-month.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Happy in general or happy because you did not buy Mig-19?

I've probably missed the point but I am asking as Mig-19 is on my radar (I like old planes)

The big problem with the MiG-19 is the lack of support from its developer ... see for yourself, here is one year worth of DCS updates:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=200724&page=5

See the Farmer receiving any love during these last 12 months?

:( :cry:

Yeah, I also have decision paralysis at this time. I almost always fly old warbirds. The Huey and F-86 are the newest craft I have much time in. I've downloaded the Harrier and A-10c, among others. The tutorials are slightly overwhelming... What's a good starter plane for someone new to modern avionics? I do have the warthog throttle so it was very cool seeing the inputs match the cockpit in the second tutorial mission.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

Yeah, I also have decision paralysis at this time. I almost always fly old warbirds. The Huey and F-86 are the newest craft I have much time in. I've downloaded the Harrier and A-10c, among others. The tutorials are slightly overwhelming... What's a good starter plane for someone new to modern avionics? I do have the warthog throttle so it was very cool seeing the inputs match the cockpit in the second tutorial mission.
I've been either all my life mostly a props guy but more or less recently I tried some jets and it's been a great experience and learning. I believe with regards to ease of use right away probably the Hornet is a good option. As a pilot told me years ago, it's easy to fly but hard to pilot, and now I know a bit I can tell he was really right. Not that hard to fly and learn the basics but it gets tougher when you try to deepen the systems and weapons knowledge, so a good starting point if you go step by step with it and later with that knowledge other modern stuff wouldn't be that hard to learn.

On the other hand, not sure how deep and hardcore you would like to go, but the C101, F-5E, then Hornet triad is a really good combination of real life training and now in DCS one can see by himself why it really works, even though F-5 can be a bit intimidating at times, not because highly complex systems which it lacks but because some tough handling characteristics whenever you try to fly it really precise.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Thanks. The Hornet is strikingly beautiful, both in design and the DCS model. There's the roadmap thread where people are complaining about missing features though - and using a bunch of acronyms that I don't know. Would you say any of the yet-to-be implemented features are an impediment to learning modern avionics/weaponry? Is this a simpler modern craft to learn than the Harrier or Warthog?

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

The big problem with the MiG-19 is the lack of support from its developer ... see for yourself, here is one year worth of DCS updates:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=200724&page=5

See the Farmer receiving any love during these last 12 months?

:( :cry:

At the same time - are there flaws that require that much attention?

As RAZBAM is in the process of the major overhaul of the Mirage (compared to the M2K I bought) and Harrier is neverending topic whether it is good or "early-early access" plane.

That to say: 2 planes I'd like to have and 1 more I already have are made by company that seems to have serious issues to truly develop products in time - or ever :mad:.

Then I can save money for Mig-19, add few € and wait for the next chance to get Viggen.

I probably won't try anything this month as I just picked up the Spitfire in January's sale, and the F-86F and BF-109 in the Stay-At-Home sale. I did consider trying the Tomcat but with it not in the month-long trial, I'm set to fly the few aircraft I do own and train to get better on some of them.

I'm hoping to try out the Carrier Module soon...maybe the Super Tucano or other 2-seat military trainer airplane. Maybe the F-15E or the AH-64D when they come out...but then I wake up and have a bowl of Rice Crispies!

Modules.jpg.ec03890353871c59be952f000cc33ff7.jpg

Edited by =JUICE=

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

At the same time - are there flaws that require that much attention?

Not really .. that is what makes it more infuriating .. Razbam would need very little resurces to fix the ADF controls shortcomings and the gunsight keybindings .. I can't understand how they have not been able to fix those in such a long time; to me the module looks abandoned and I doubt I will continue purchasing Modules from them anymore.

Isn't that a general DCS problem, though? Little things that just pile up because apparently nobody gets around to looking into them until there are enough of them to break something major? Feels like a rather common thing.

Back on topic, I sure love the option to just try things, still. The only problem is that I can't get them all for good, I bet. It would all be a lot easier if there was a clear winner (at least per category), but it keeps being tricky.

Thanks. The Hornet is strikingly beautiful, both in design and the DCS model. There's the roadmap thread where people are complaining about missing features though - and using a bunch of acronyms that I don't know. Would you say any of the yet-to-be implemented features are an impediment to learning modern avionics/weaponry? Is this a simpler modern craft to learn than the Harrier or Warthog?
Not at all. As you said, take a look at the list and see by yourself if you miss anything of those yet to come features (which eventually will come anyway as you learn). I definitely don't and it's been more than a year now since I started to learn, so if you come from props and now start here I highly doubt any of it would bother you at all. Simply the main aircraft and systems are already there.

Comparing to A-10C and Harrier is complicated since they're quite different (though some things are shared), but I believe Hornet is a way more simple solution for the newcomer even though when you deepen in the systems it's probably even more complex than both of them, but as a starting point just start-up is really simple and straightforward in the Hornet, as basic systems either, while the other two aren't that easy to start with despite being overall less complex in the total number of systems and missions you'll have to learn and master in the end. Hornet has so many possibilities that you can stick to only some of them at first (like start-up, navigation, A-A systems and that's all) then the rest of it and still the aircraft is fully functional and usable in missions while the other two has to be mastered in more deep to be proficient enough even though that would depend on what missions and the people you fly with. IMO only for that it's a good point in favour as a learning platform.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

• 4 weeks later...

Now that the promotion is over, which aircraft did you try? Like? Buy?

These are the ones I tried:

L-39:

Very nice module. I'm a C-101 fanboi but the L-39 seems to have the edge on it in a few different areas. Slightly better top speed. Much better acceleration. Crisper rolls. Didn't buy but would consider in the future.

Christen Eagle:

Unfortunately, this ran terribly on my machine (which is a bit of a potato now). Not sure why since all the other modules ran ok. Couldn't really give it a fair shake because of it.

I-16:

Looks like a fun little module but without any trim pretty difficult to fly. Rudder pedals (which I don't have) are a must IMO.

F-5E:

Another nice module. Probably the one I spent the most time learning. No ILS though. Yikes. Didn't buy but would consider in the future.

Gazelle:

Very tough to fly. I thought people were being babies when they complained how hard it was but it really is that hard to fly compared to Huey and Shark. Still managed to get it through a couple of obstacle courses though so I'm proud of myself.

Mig-29:

I already had this from FC3 but bought it to round out my collection of stand alone modules. Fun little plane.

Persian Gulf:

Beautiful map. And at 30 gigs download, there was no way I was gonna uninstall :) so bought it.