DCS: P-47D-30 Discussion

Barrett_g

While I certainly know that the P-47 isn't carrier capable. I wonder if this would be out of the realm of possibilities later down the road.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

While I certainly know that the P-47 isn't carrier capable. I wonder if this would be out of the realm of possibilities later down the road.

That is simply a catapult start. IIRC the Enterprise, for example had 4 catapults; two on the forward deck and two inside the forward hanger, each pointing laterally outward; one to port, and one to starboard.

The reason catapults were not used during the war to launch large numbers of aircraft was because they were steam operated using their own boiler system, which took too long to build up again after a certain number of launches.

Not sure that I would be into that at all but would be different...we all remember the appearance of 16 B-25s over Japan on April 18, 1942

This is true, but the USS Hornet did not use catapults to launch the B-25's; they took off into the wind the same as with any other normal aircraft launch.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 weeks later...

The reason catapults were not used during the war to launch large numbers of aircraft was because they were steam operated using their own boiler system, which took too long to build up again after a certain number of launches.

The US Navy did not begin using steam catapults until sometime after the Korean War. Up until then, all of our carrier cats were hydraulic.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The US Navy did not begin using steam catapults until sometime after the Korean War. Up until then, all of our carrier cats were hydraulic.

That is correct, all cats on the US Naval Carriers used a hydraulic system, and the reason they weren't used that often is because of the time to launch 4 aircraft with the 2 deck cats, vs 4 aircraft on their own engine power with one notch of flaps and a 5kt headwind was a large difference, the Cats were really only ever used when there was a lack of wind or they were launching aircraft that were extremely heavy due to loadout.

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea how far along the production of the Jug has come? Or is it still early wip? I can't wait to fly her but I really don't want to have to wait another year to do it.

Hopefully we get some news once the Spit and Normandy map release. And hopefully the production will speed up after 2.5

Any idea how far along the production of the Jug has come? Or is it still early wip? I can't wait to fly her but I really don't want to have to wait another year to do it.

Hopefully we get some news once the Spit and Normandy map release. And hopefully the production will speed up after 2.5

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2845701&postcount=4

I think we can all assume making the appropriate mustang for this European theater will not take long, hopefully. According to the unofficial road map we can expect the P-47D-30 to come out in late 2016 or sometime in 2017.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893

9 months ago, this was said on the official weekly update.

"Our goals for DCS World War II remain unchanged and are still focused on a stable of WWII aircraft in addition to a 1944 map of Northern France with period ground units. We hope to finish the Spitfire IX in mid-2016 followed by the P-47D at the end of the year. We will also continue to fine-tune the P-51D, Fw 190 and Bf 109."

Thanks, I don't really have much hope of it coming out this year but hopefully it will be released in the 1st qt of 2017.

I'd feel alot better if we could just get some more news on it, like some screens or something because all we have now is some cockpit screens. I'd just like to know how far they have to go before releasing it, or at least how far they have progressed in it's development.

The Jug is my favorite aircraft so I really can't wait to fly her. It's definitely gonna be a breath of fresh air once we get her.

Just add half a year, when the Spit is released, for the release of the P-47, if we can keep trusting their initial release plan. So summer 2017 probably?

Im in the P-47 boat too. Was my main backer aircraft, along with a fancy printed P-47 manual.

Im still fantasizing about strafing steam locomotives on the Normandy map, in my P-47, named Vicious Vicky :)

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Just add half a year, when the Spit is released, for the release of the P-47, if we can keep trusting their initial release plan. So summer 2017 probably?

Im in the P-47 boat too. Was my main backer aircraft, along with a fancy printed P-47 manual.

Im still fantasizing about strafing steam locomotives on the Normandy map, in my P-47, named Vicious Vicky :)

Same, can't wait. I really can't wait to test how well she handles in a fight and if she is going to be rugged like irl.

I've never played a sim or any other game that has modeled the Jugs ruggedness, I'm not expecting her to be invincible of course but I expect her to be able to handle much more punishment than most aircraft can.

I've never heard of any fighter that could take the same amount of punishment as the Jug and I hope this is represented in the sim.

I also read that she was one of the best dogfighters at high alt. Down low she wasn't the best but up top she was king.

I have very high expectations for the Jug.

AFAIK, the initial release plan was 12/2014 for the Spit and Q2/2015 for Normandy map and the Jug. Time flies :pilotfly:

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Same, can't wait. I really can't wait to test how well she handles in a fight and if she is going to be rugged like irl.

I've never played a sim or any other game that has modeled the Jugs ruggedness, I'm not expecting her to be invincible of course but I expect her to be able to handle much more punishment than most aircraft can.

I've never heard of any fighter that could take the same amount of punishment as the Jug and I hope this is represented in the sim.

I also read that she was one of the best dogfighters at high alt. Down low she wasn't the best but up top she was king.

I have very high expectations for the Jug.

Honestly the P-47 will probably the worst dogfighter in the game as the current fights are all at low altitudes. I think once we are able to have high altitude dogs fights some may even choose the P-47 over the P-51 or the Spitfire IX. As you mentioned she was one of the best up high, if anything she was the best at high altitude. The only rival would be a Bf-109K-4 which just so happens to be in game. But for now if you fly high enough to stay above the enemy and just bounce unsuspecting targets you'll do well with the extra firepower of the P-47.

I don't think a K-4's 30mm will notice much of a difference between a Spitfire and a P-47 :). I'd worry more about what type of P-47 we are going to get in game, maybe we'll end up with a gimp P-47 running on 100 octane at 56"Hg.

I plan on fighting high whenever possible and bounce the enemy. If you try to dogfight down low then your just asking for trouble. Imo she will be the best dogfighter up top but the worst down low.

The only thing she really has going for her down low is her survivability, I'm not expecting her to take 10 30mm rounds but she should be able to take more than most. One good shot can take any plane down but the Jug was known for taking hard hits in its engine etc and still making it home. They've even made it home on a few missing cylinders.

As far as I know the Jug operated at around 65"hg without water and around 72"hg with water injection. I don't really know much about the different fuels used during the war.

Found this, not sure if we should expect better performance than this or not, were better fuels than this used during the war? http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-47/p47-26167.html

Edited by Legion

Among my fondest childhood memories is flying in Jug in European Air War. I flew 40 missions in the P-47 and loved every minute of it.

I am intrigued to see how the old bird handles with a realistic flight model. I don't forsee any problems for me flying style wise because I am naturally a B n Z pilot (hence, on the German side I prefer the D9 to the K4).

"Lawyer by Profession, Pilot by Heart...and self-confessed Harrier tragic"

• 3 weeks later...