** F-14 Development Update: December 2018 **

Cobra847

You dont have the shaking of a real plane when clicking with your mouse...

Yeah but you'll first have to figure where the tiny winy micro cursor is, get it to the right place without it totally blending in the cockpit elements itself (which it does constantly at least in the Hornet, so you have to search it again), then you've got to stabilize your view somehow (which works great with a head rotation factor of like 10) or press a key to freeze TIR momentarily and then operate the thing. I highly doubt this would take any longer IRL, many interactions probably go way faster than in DCS.

Ever text in car? Dial a phone? Use a calculator? It doesn't take that long to type a key. He inputs too slow, period.

I'd also say he should hack in the numbers quicker, but also there should be a noticable pause after he has entered it to simulate him checking what he punched in there. Something like:

N 4 2 [short pause*] 1 5 [short pause] 15 [pause**] E (0) 4 2 [short pause] 3 7 [short pause] 45 [pause] [enter]

*short pause to check the bit (N42, 15, 15)

**longer pause to check the whole coordinate part (N42°15"15') before going on to the next one or pushing enter.

Each pause giving him a chance to correct in case of mistyping which should also happen sometimes, depending on stress level, same for overall typing and checking speed. Should go quick and mostly error-free on the ground and take significantly longer with more chances of errors that have to be corrected (which makes it take even longer) when under stress (stuff spiking or even enemies in the vicinity or just some Gs).

But all that is something I wouldn't expect to find in an early access release, but I know HB... they'd probably do something like this at least later on.

How long does it take? You could take times in Viggen operation for example.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This said, it's not inconceivable that we might revisit the time between presses but the comparison to a normal keyboard is somewhat lacking.

Please ask your SMEs / ex-RIO's if they would go for quick vs. safe for target coordinates IRL.

I find myself often double or triple checking inputs, while typing on the UFC... my guess is speed is not the most important thing when bombing something.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

How about waiting to see how it's done before we even consider passing judgement?!
I dare say you type the digits with the 10 "kachunk" buttons on the ACP.

To me the speed Jester is currently typing is pretty ok, as I would imagine he checks each entry when typing, like I would. So we should definitely try for ourselves in the backseat, before "complaining" about Jester typing too slow.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I dare say you type the digits with the 10 "kachunk" buttons on the ACP.

To me the speed Jester is currently typing is pretty ok, as I would imagine he checks each entry when typing, like I would. So we should definitely try for ourselves in the backseat, before "complaining" about Jester typing too slow.

Yeah, especially as if he mistypes one digit he has to clear and start over from the first digit.

On that note, I have a question about Jester? Can he actually make mistakes like a real life RIO might??

Currently he can read out stuff incorrectly and then correct himself. He won't make input errors atm but who knows in the future? :-)

I'm just looking forward to someone else doing the typing!

You all know how hard it is inputting new Target or Navigation waypoints in single seat DCS aircraft like the A-10C (OMG) or the Hornet.

Take your time, Jester - get it right. I can be doing other things like flying the jet.

i7-8700K / 64GB RAM / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti / (Win 10 Pro) / Oculus Rift S

I'm just looking forward to someone else doing the typing!

You all know how hard it is inputting new Target or Navigation waypoints in single seat DCS aircraft like the A-10C (OMG) or the Hornet.

Take your time, Jester - get it right. I can be doing other things like flying the jet.

The A10c isn't that bad. Put that couch in orbit and add a next waypoint with one button then enter the coordinates using the cdu keyboard. The hardest part for me is I fly in VR so I'd have to memorize the coordinates quickly.

I'm glad to have jester for my single player stuff, which will make things a lot easier assuming the wheel is simple to operate in VR.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Apart from when he occasionally sounds a little inorganic "there is-a... bandit!" his callouts are so fluid and human. Even WIP it's still great. I play single-player mainly so Jester is a godsend.

I'm exclusively in SP so I know what you're saying. Until I found out about Jester I thought I was going to have to skip this module, glad to have AAIAI

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Currently he can read out stuff incorrectly and then correct himself. He won't make input errors atm but who knows in the future? :-)

So, speaking for myself, I have a 4 year old and another on the way. My time playing is limited to say the least. If I have to have my one flight on some given week jacked up by an AI so smart it is stupid, I probably won't be happy. I think it is a cool idea and all. But I think you can see where I'm coming from.

So, speaking for myself, I have a 4 year old and another on the way. My time playing is limited to say the least. If I have to have my one flight on some given week jacked up by an AI so smart it is stupid, I probably won't be happy. I think it is a cool idea and all. But I think you can see where I'm coming from.

I'm in the same boat. 5 year old and another on the way. Game time is priceless.

Semper Fi.

Apart from when he occasionally sounds a little inorganic "there is-a... bandit!" his callouts are so fluid and human. Even WIP it's still great. I play single-player mainly so Jester is a godsend.

When he sais "The Bandit... is going down", it always reminds me of

as it sounds so similarly in how the voice flows and somehow I guess it might even be intended due to the release time frame... twi-notbad.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Arma?

"ENEMY... MAN... 200... METERS.... FRONT....."

"ENEMY.... TECHNICAL.....FAR"

:lol:

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Arma?

I remember watching a replay of couple of 75th Batt boys playing ARMA. It's the equivalent of watching Gonky and Mover (or Lex) flying the F18.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Arma?

that was in 1 and 2.

these verbal call outs are much better in ARMA 3

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

You think ArmA was bad? Remember Operation Flashpoint?

"OH... NO... BRAVO... TWO... IS DOWN!" KKKKKKTTTTT!!!

(in Russian accent)

"ROG-EHR!"

"WHERE ARE YOU?"

Heatblur got it right by making several different tracks for the same call in different situations.

But OFP is from 2001 , DCS F14 is a 2019...different hardware and lessons learned. :D