Hornet JDAM tutorial.

Harmer

Hello Cellvictor

1000 thanks for this great tutorial. You answered all of my questions. I was very confused when I watched all others tutorials because it was unclear for me how to get the right coordinates of the targets and which settings (MGRS) I have to make in DCSW under MISC.

I really like you speak rather slowly so it makes it easier for me to understand. I also like Wags tutorials but sometimes it is quite dificil for me to follow him ;)

Just subscribed your channel and looking forward to your next tutorials :thumbup:

Cheers

Weasel

Any inaccuracies or suggestions, please let me know.

I think, you got the TERM settings wrong. As I understood your video, you set it up to match your (aircrafts) planned approach the targets. But afaik the settings are supposed to tell the weapon how it shall approach the target.

That means, you can specifiy that the bomb should drop right on top of it (90°), or from the side (i.e. 45°). Also the heading is supposed to tell the weapon, from which direction it shall hit the target (if ANG is less than 90° ofc). Same for the speed - shall the bomb penetrate as far as possible or not? All these parameters are of course set to sensible values - makes no sense to set a desired speed of, i.e., 5 kts or so.^^

And yes, "sensible parameters" can also mean, that you set an attack heading reciprocal to your aircraft inbound heading (i.e. bomb hits the TGT from behind). But for that, the bomb will have to maneuver quite a lot and will lose a lot of energy - so the optimal drop zone will be much smaller than usual.

I can certainly concede mistaken information as sometimes this is not clear when using others sources particularly when the NTRP 3-22.2-FA18A-D manual seems to be unavailable.

[EDIT] I've just had a guy comment on the vid that the TERM parameters don't need to be entered in, and the JDAM will still work - anyone confirm this?

Edited by Cellvictor

• 2 weeks later...
I can certainly concede mistaken information as sometimes this is not clear when using others sources particularly when the NTRP 3-22.2-FA18A-D manual seems to be unavailable.

[EDIT] I've just had a guy comment on the vid that the TERM parameters don't need to be entered in, and the JDAM will still work - anyone confirm this?

Yes. The only time I specify is if I'm dropping on a target in or around objects / scenery that could wind up between the bomb and the target causing the bomb to detonate prematurely.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.