One CAG, but multiple CAG Birds? How does this work?

Nealius

I've recently been wondering about "CAG Birds" and the CAG, as something isn't quite making sense to me.

As I understand it, CAG is the commander of the airgroup, i.e. the entire CVW. That's one person. But I noticed that every single squadron in the CVW appears to have a CAG Bird. Tomcats and Hornets obviously have CAG birds, so that's a possible four CAG birds, and I've also seen E-2 CAG birds, S-3 CAG birds, VAW CAG birds, and that makes another three.

So how is it possible to have multiple CAG birds in a CVW but only one CAG?

The term usually given to a “x00” plane in a given squadron is “Color Bird” and while the CAG may be from that squadron, he doesn’t have to be to be in that squadron’s Color Bird.

Such aircraft are usually intended to be a point of pride for the squadron it represents.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Also, just because a bird has the CAG and DCAG names on the canopy doesn't mean that they're the CAG's personal birds. Similarly, CO birds are not only flown by the CO. All birds in a squadron can be flown by any aviator, and it all depends on which birds are "up" and what the flight schedule requires.

As far as I know, some VFA's not only have a CAG bird (Commander Air Group), but also a CO bird (Commanding Officer) which is x01.

Hey please correct me if I'm wrong but I think CAG stands for Carrier Air Group and not Commander Air Group.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The official term now is CVW for Carrier (CV) Air Wing (W), but "CAG" is an expression steeped in tradition. The US Navy is nothing if not traditional. The Air Wing commander is still personally referred to as "CAG" and his deputy as "DCAG."

Yes, the FPP mentioned that, but it's not really relevant as we're talking about the aircraft paintjobs, not who flew them.

I clarified this because you asked about multiple birds for a single CAG. Again, steeped in tradition.

All we are doing now is getting pedantic about a colloquialism. The birds are still referred to as "CAG Birds" in conversation, regardless of whether the CAG flies them. Case in point, if the CAG is a NFO (think RIO/WSO instead of pilot), he won't be able to fly helos or C/E model Hornets, but his name will still be on the side of those planes and the squadrons will still refer to them as "CAG birds."

What airplane the CAG flies is wholly irrelevant. Which squadron the CAG comes from is the important bit, as since there can only be one CAG s/he can only come from one squadron. So to rephrase my question, if the CAG is one person from one squadron, how can all the squadrons have CAG birds simultaneously?

There are CAG Birds for each squadron aboard. The CAG is the Commander Air Group. These birds are listed under him but flown by many other pilots aboard. They are usually numbered 100, 200, 300, etc.. Randy "Duke" Cunningham made his 3 kills in a day in Vietnam in the CAG's "Double Nuts" (200) numbered F-4 in 1972.

CAG is not some squadron CO randomly chosen to command the Air Group and may or may not even fly with his wing. There’s the answer if you can understand it.

Thanks for the explanation, although somewhat arrogant and condescending for no reason at all...why insult my intelligence for asking a question? I was under the impression that the CAG was the senior officer chosen from among the attached squadrons.

Edited by Nealius

Ok, now I see from where the confusion originates. The CAG and DCAG are Captains (O-6, like a Colonel in the Air Force) that are post-command (i.e. they have already commanded squadrons). The CVW is a "Major Command", and the CAG is equivalent to the CO of the aircraft carrier (the term "Super-CAG" was originated a while back once this distinction was made, as CAG used to be subordinate to the carrier CO).

The CAG and DCAG are selected specifically as carrier air wing commanders, with the DCAG becoming CAG once the original CAG rotates out of his billet, and a new DCAG coming onboard to learn the ropes from the new CAG.

• 5 weeks later...
What airplane the CAG flies is wholly irrelevant. Which squadron the CAG comes from is the important bit, as since there can only be one CAG s/he can only come from one squadron. So to rephrase my question, if the CAG is one person from one squadron, how can all the squadrons have CAG birds simultaneously?

The impression I'm getting is that EVERY squadron has a ''CAG/color bird''. It's like a 'flagship' or representation of the unit. Whether or not the air wing commander actually flies them or not is irrelevant, they are still the showpiece of each squadron, and will have his name on them as those units are subordinate to him.

The first few answers seemed to be beating around the bush rather than directly answering Nealius' question. Edit, also slight necro =D

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2