DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Does anyone follow what the pre-flight BIT test wants you to do?

Here's a guess. IFFCC stays off until very late in the startup, after alignment and engines but before taxi. With IFFCC switch off I have relevant CAP lights: GCAS, LASTE, EAC. Set IFFCC Test. GCAS, LASTE extinguish. Set EAC arm. EAC extinguish. But by procedure EAC isn't on yet so turn EAC off again.

Looks like the 4-character hex codes are XXYY where XX is the test series, e.g. A0 or 30, and YY is the element in that series e.g. 40, 50, 80.

PREFLIGHT BIT

TESTING

[table]|CENTER YAW TRIM AND PRESS T.O. TRIM|Wait for pilot to set trims. Progress when T/O trim light illuminates.

A0B1|CAUTION LIGHT: OBSERVE CAP LIGHTS ON|Guessing that this step throws SAS switches off (reasoning later) so you'd get lights for those two as well as EAC. By procedure SAS switches would be set on prior to this BIT. Probably a timed progression. Look that the lights are what they should be.

A0C1|LASTE: SET EAC SW IN ARM|EAC shouldn't engage with SAS off as this step should demonstrate. Probably progresses when the EAC switch is on but doesn't stick.

|SAS: ENGAGE SAS SWITCHES|OK now that SAS is on. Time to check EAC engagement for a different result. Progression when SAS on.

|LASTE: SET EAC SW IN ARM|The second time EAC arm is prompted but should have a different result as SAS are on. Progression when EAC on and sticks.

A040, A050, A080||No clue what these are doing, some static checks not requiring pilot input perhaps.

3004||Similarly blank, some kind of GCAS prep?

|Horizon line|Not apparently part of GCAS BIT but perhaps a temporary horizon in preparation of simulating a situation for GCAS BIT to function. It's not seen when running GCAS BIT standalone.

3005|MONITOR GCAS MESSAGES|Telling pilot to watch and listen for proper GCAS cues

|GCAS X|Probably false data is fed into system to confirm GCAS treats it like a real situation and responds properly

3005|DO NOT MOVE THE STICK AND RUDDER PEDAL|This is interesting. It's possibly moving controls and/or monitoring pressures and/or positions of flight controls. I bet if the pilot moved the controls here it would result in the test faulting. Notably this is part of GCAS BIT.[/table]

Oddly procedure right after the preflight BIT is to engage SAS. Not sure if this is an action to do or just to verify SAS engaged. According to the BIT process SAS should by engaged during and still be on after.

Here's a guess. IFFCC stays off until very late in the startup, after alignment and engines but before taxi. With IFFCC switch off I have relevant CAP lights: GCAS, LASTE, EAC. Set IFFCC Test. GCAS, LASTE extinguish. Set EAC arm. EAC extinguish. But by procedure EAC isn't on yet so turn EAC off again.

You guessed wrong.

In DCS world it isn’t modeled correctly. Pilots have to interact for the test to proceed on the real a-10

Thanks for clearing that up, Snoopy. I had always wondered why the BIT in the DCS A-10C progressed to the end, regardless of input. Every aircraft I've had experience with IRL has always required interaction in order for the tests to progress. Now we have a definitive answer as to whether or not the BIT in DCS is modeled correctly. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Thanks for clearing that up, Snoopy. I had always wondered why the BIT in the DCS A-10C progressed to the end, regardless of input. Every aircraft I've had experience with IRL has always required interaction in order for the tests to progress. Now we have a definitive answer as to whether or not the BIT in DCS is modeled correctly. :)

I know years ago I supplied the info to one of the devs to make the test interactive but that was after the A-10C was considered feature complete so it didn't get updated. Not a big deal, most people would get tired of having to do it anyways.

I know years ago I supplied the info to one of the devs to make the test interactive but that was after the A-10C was considered feature complete so it didn't get updated. Not a big deal, most people would get tired of having to do it anyways.

Heh...I still run through it religiously as if the jet cares. Old habits die hard I guess. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Is the triple Maverick realistic or not ? To end it once and forever

It's capable. They used on the A-10A, which was mounted on a different station (2 and 10, instead of 3 and 9 now with the Charlie), so some people say this implies in a few issues with the main landing gear wheel being 'burnt' by the rocket motor, but IMHO that's nonsense.

The issue with the triple Mavericks boils down to drag and weight. LAU-88 which is the rack used to mount the Mavericks adds a considerable amount of mass to the aircraft, and drag as well, the drag index is very high, especially when you mount all three Mavericks on it. Although it was used in the past, this kind of loadout isn't used anymore due to the performance penalties, a lighter, less draggy airframe is sometimes more efficient. I'm not even sure if LAU-88 + 3xMavs is authorized anymore, but to a certain degree, yes it's realistic, and if you need to use it in the sim, USE it. Don't be afraid of using it because some individuals in this community are saying it's not realistic. This is a game and real life is something else.

Edited by Vitormouraa

Well, I guess one of the real life maintainers can say about the tires. The weight and drag problem is also what I've heard, same with the triple GBU-12s and cluster munition.

I try and keep it as one hundo as possible for my own sake. I know that having 2 loaded lighter a-10s will always be more efficient than a single one, loaded like a pig.

There are a lot of people on MP who like to abuse the Hawg and load it to the brim as much as possible, which leads me to question, are those big drag indexes even simulated correctly in-game ?

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Well, I guess one of the real life maintainers can say about the tires. The weight and drag problem is also what I've heard, same with the triple GBU-12s and cluster munition.

I try and keep it as one hundo as possible for my own sake. I know that having 2 loaded lighter a-10s will always be more efficient than a single one, loaded like a pig.

There are a lot of people on MP who like to abuse the Hawg and load it to the brim as much as possible, which leads me to question, are those big drag indexes even simulated correctly in-game ?

Yes sir. You can even see their impact on your IAS.

BRU-42 which is the rack used to mount the Mavericks adds a considerable amount of mass to the aircraft, and drag as well, the drag index is very high, especially when you mount all three Mavericks on it.

The triple mount for Mavericks is the LAU-88 (BRU-42 is a triple bomb mount).

The A-10A Non-nuclear weapons manual says of the LAU-88:

• On ferry missions a maximum of three missiles per TER can be loaded.

• On tactical missions a maximum of two missiles per TER can be loaded on a LAU-88

• The AGM-65G cannot be used on multiple rail launchers due to missile weight constraints.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Is the triple Maverick realistic or not ? To end it once and forever

AFAIK the LAU-88 triple rack must not be loaded next to a TGP. Since the C-model will have a TGP loaded most of the time, you'd only see a LAU-88 on the other wing, and I guess that would add a whole lot of asymmetric drag and weight.

If Fulda gap became real, I'm kinda sure they'd hang the triple racks anyway. But with Afghanistan and Iraq (2003+), I don't think they've ever used the LAU-88 and only loaded single Mavs on LAU-117s anyway.

It's capable. They used on the A-10A, which was mounted on a different station (2 and 10, instead of 3 and 9 now with the Charlie), [...]

Are you sure about the stations? I thought they used the TGP initially on 3 and 9 because it looked to the aircraft like a Mav, until 2 and 10 were re-wired for the TGP. But I think Mavericks were always exclusive to stations 3 and 9.

The triple mount for Mavericks is the LAU-88 (BRU-42 is a triple bomb mount).

The A-10A Non-nuclear weapons manual says of the LAU-88:

• On ferry missions a maximum of three missiles per TER can be loaded.

• On tactical missions a maximum of two missiles per TER can be loaded on a LAU-88

• The AGM-65G cannot be used on multiple rail launchers due to missile weight constraints.

Nah, that's not right. The Dash-34 actually says:

"Up to three missiles, live or training may be loaded on a LAU-88"

The statement about G-model Mavericks is correct, but is also true for G2s and Ks. A TGM-65G/K can be loaded though, because missile weight doesn't include the warhead.

And,

"Launching Maverick missiles from the inboard rail of a LAU-88 should be avoided to minimize paint and rain erosion coating deterioration."

• 3 weeks later...
Why does the Control Command List for A10C SIM HOTAS not explain what the command does ...

refer to a .PDF file that has different lingo and other seems unecessary. Ctrl -up , HOTAS TMS FORWARD, what does it do ?

Because it does something different depending on what sensors are active, what weapon loaded or other factors. It’s a multifunction button, as are so many of the Hotas controls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does the Control Command List for A10C SIM HOTAS not explain what the command does ...

You might want to take a look at the tutorial missions (main menu item "training") that come with the A-10C. That should clear a lot of things up.

The DCS A-10C manual is still my primary reference for all the HOTAS functions, because the two tables for Stick and Throttle are very precise.

Making all of this information available right in the Controller setup within DCS would be a fairly complicated task, I think.

• 3 weeks later...
Does the hog exhibit adverse yaw?

The Hog has a stability assist system (SAS) for yaw and pitch. It auto-coordinates for you, so you don’t really need to touch the rudder pedals much during rectilinear flight.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I'm new & trying to learn what I can, so bear with me a second.

Is the a-10c still in "Beta" and considered to be "still in development"?

Can it be moved out of open beta - to the other steam edition?

(It takes a long time to reload the different versions is why I ask).

It would be nice to have it with my other ones or... did I miss something?

The A-10C is out of beta for pretty much exactly 10 years now. :huh:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I'm new & trying to learn what I can, so bear with me a second.

Is the a-10c still in "Beta" and considered to be "still in development"?

Can it be moved out of open beta - to the other steam edition?

(It takes a long time to reload the different versions is why I ask).

It would be nice to have it with my other ones or... did I miss something?

I think you are mixing up things. There are two separate versions of the sim: the "Open Beta" branch and "Release (non beta)" branch. Open Beta is used to test new stuff before they get validated and put into the Release version, usually a couple of weeks later.

Now a module can be also tagged Open Beta (or Early Access, same meaning) but this is different. This means that the module is still new, being developped and not feature complete yet.

So basically Open Beta can designate two different things, whether it's used for talking about the version of the sim itself or talking about a given module.

As Quigon said, the A-10C has been out of beta for many years.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]