F5E lose control

klade

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

secret is to trim the aircraft properly I reckon, make sure you're keeping it in trim. Hope this helps

Creating a good curve of response of the axes of the joystick also helps A LOT to maintain the plane controlled in straight and at level flight.

You did switch on your dampers? (Right panel)

In thrust we trust :thumbup:

Falls jemand Montags Abends Lust hat mit uns zusammen zu fliegen und Spass zu haben (Anfänger sind auch herzlich willkommen) kann gerne auf unserer Website: https://www.jg-frankonia.de vorbeischauen oder sich direkt bei uns im Discord melden: https://discord.gg/vHEJf3c

Eigene Server und viel Spass sind vorhanden :thumbup:

Creating a good curve of response of the axes of the joystick also helps A LOT to maintain the plane controlled in straight and at level flight.

Seconding this. The F-5 has incredibly sensitive controls, both IRL and in the sim. Unless you have an extension on your stick, I recommend at least curves of 15 for both Roll and Pitch. To put it in perspective, I keep curves of only 5 for the F/A-18 and F-14.

because I lose control of the F-5E when the speed increases.

it does not work until it slows down, is it normal in real F5, or is it bug ???

Dampers on for both pitch and yaw (Located about your left hip forward of countermeasures)

Trim is your friend in the F-5

I have my curves set to 25 for roll 23 for pitch and 10 for yaw

If your going in to a high speed, increasing rate oscillation you don't have the dampener on and your not not trimmed correctly.

If your losing control at high speeds and you have the dampers on then you need to check your curves as it may be PIO or pilot induced oscillation.

Viking22

Commercial Test Pilot

Yak-52 Owner

• 2 weeks later...

Seconding this. The F-5 has incredibly sensitive controls, both IRL and in the sim. Unless you have an extension on your stick, I recommend at least curves of 15 for both Roll and Pitch. To put it in perspective, I keep curves of only 5 for the F/A-18 and F-14.

Thirded :)

With no curve the slightest breath on my WH stick causes the F-5 to roll over nearly 90 degrees :p

I'm currently flying with a 30 point curve.

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, GTX 1080ti, Oculus Rift S

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.

The F-5 has incredible sensitive controls in both pitch and roll at high speed down low. Get some altitude or cruise at 0.7M and its more comfortable. It takes some to get used to, just go light on the controls.

Careful with excessive curves though, as its gonna have a negative sideeffect if you need high AoA.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Landing is hardest for me. I'm all over the place trying to stay lined up on the last few thousand feet or so.

Intel i7-4770k @ 4.4ghz, 32gb ram, GTX 1080ti, Oculus Rift S

Advanced apologies if my post contains typos or missing letters. Many of my posts are typed on a laptop with an old keyboard that has a personality all its own.

Landing is hardest for me. I'm all over the place trying to stay lined up on the last few thousand feet or so.

Subtle rudder input is definitely more crucial on final approach than any other phase of flight.

That being said, somebody on here who's flown either the T-38 or F-5 in real life said the actual aircraft is more directionally stable than the flight model in DCS. So take that for what it's worth.

I recommend beginning your approach turn once the intended point of landing is 45 degrees behind your wingtip (this is a technique in the T-38, anyway). You should have plenty of time to stabilize your lateral flight path on final.

Subtle rudder input is definitely more crucial on final approach than any other phase of flight.

Why would you need the rudder on final? Heading corrections are always done with the ailerons because it's lift that makes an airplane turn, nothing else.

So you need to bank the airplane to make it turn. Applying rudder only turns the nose but doesn't (immediately) change the track.

Even on planes like the F-5, where the rudder rolls the airplane (especially at higher AoA), the ailerons are the only means to do corrections on approach.

I absolutely love the precise and slightly nervous handling, using linear control and a 15% curve.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Why would you need the rudder on final? Heading corrections are always done with the ailerons because it's lift that makes an airplane turn, nothing else.

So you need to bank the airplane to make it turn. Applying rudder only turns the nose but doesn't (immediately) change the track.

Even on planes like the F-5, where the rudder rolls the airplane (especially at higher AoA), the ailerons are the only means to do corrections on approach.

I absolutely love the precise and slightly nervous handling, using linear control and a 15% curve.

I mean, you’re theoretically correct in the case of winds straight down the runway, or no wind at all.

If you have a crosswind, though, which in real life there’s always some, you use bank angle to maintain centerline and rudder to keep the nose straight down the runway. Otherwise you land with some crab, which not all landing gears are built to withstand. The F-5, with its stubby wings, is perfect for the wing-down/top rudder technique.

That’s really what I’m talking about here. If winds are no factor, then yeah, you shouldn’t need rudder.

If you have a crosswind, though, which in real life there’s always some, you use bank angle to maintain centerline and rudder to keep the nose straight down the runway. Otherwise you land with some crab, which not all landing gears are built to withstand. The F-5, with its stubby wings, is perfect for the wing-down/top rudder technique.

Ouch, the wing down technique might work for a Cessna 152 but on larger/faster airplanes and especially on jets you generally use the crab method.

If you decide to land without crab, you (and even the AP) earliest starts to take the crab angle out below 100-150ft.

When landing manually you usually decrab during the flare and also land with an (almost) wing level attitude.

Since the rudder induces a significant roll moment on the F-5, it's imperative to fly the approach with the correct wind correction angle applied and to land with the full crab angle.

The wings must be level!

The F-5 is definitely not an airplane which is suitable for the wings low technique (and on an airliner the passengers wouldn't be happy either ;) )

Edited by bbrz

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070