What are the details around these new data cartridges in the beta update?

metzgerov

Any more info on these and what they do?

This (nav setup) to me is the only thing that makes this jet not ready for multiplayer.

You can't get QFE or setup a flight plan easily so bombing especially is almost impossible outside single player.

Hope these updates solve this.

I'd like to know as well. But that being said, it's totally possible to do all of those things in multiplayer.

Check out Videos 9 and 10 in xxJohnxx' excellent series. He shows you how to input your own waypoints and calculate QFE. It can all be done in game, and our flight does so regularly. I've yet to play much with the custom cartridge in fact.

To make this easier, I highly recommend binding the data panel numbers to the number pad on your keyboard, and make the LS key something like ".". It makes it very easy any simple to enter information in on the fly, even in flight.

Hope this helps!

Kozality

Vargar 1-2

107th JAS

http://throughtheinferno.com/

Yeah casual multiplayer flying is the exact issue I wanted to address with this (work-in-progress) feature.

You can, while stationary on the ground, load a generated data cartridge. The first one is the closest enemy vehicle. If the target is moving a predicted point will be set as target point. A similar estimate is done when loading a SKU-target. You can now also change the margin of the mission-time (default is a little more than 5 minutes) by a keycommand (default LCtrl+LShift+M and LCtrl+LAlt+M). Mission cartridges for your M and SKU reconnaissance targets will also be generated when you set master-mode to BER. To select a cartridge open Kneeboard (RShift+K) and scroll to Ground crew settings (“]” key) and then select the cartridge with LCtrl+LShift+C and LCtrl+LAlt+C. You will also see target data for the cartridge like QFE.

I want to add a little more features to this function, like accounting for terrain around the target.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Yes RagnarDa!

You are the man!

So let me get this straight:

1: We will get a auto-generated cartridge with the closest enemy vehicle(ship?)

-With WP's or just the target destination with QFE?

2: Cartridges with M and SKU targets- Not sure what this means. Can you explain what targets these would be in a multiplayer environment.

-Ones we manually entered?

This is a great step for better playability to the best Jet in DCS!

Yes RagnarDa!

You are the man!

So let me get this straight:

1: We will get a auto-generated cartridge with the closest enemy vehicle(ship?)

-With WP's or just the target destination with QFE?

2: Cartridges with M and SKU targets- Not sure what this means. Can you explain what targets these would be in a multiplayer environment.

-Ones we manually entered?

This is a great step for better playability to the best Jet in DCS!

Thanks!

1: Yes

2: M = MÅL - target is what I meant. You can read about reconnaissance in the manual (http://media.heatblur.se/AJS37_Manual_RC1.pdf) from page 363 onwards. You need to be on the ground and select master mode BER for the cartridges to be generated and selectable.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

You can either use the already generated mission for the closest enemy unit or you can create a MÅL point by setting SPA-mode and RefLola and Out then inputting target coordinates, and then L/MÅL and a number on the _keypad_ (Not B1-B9). Then set master mode to BER and select the generated cartridge as described above.

Edit: _VIND/RUTA

MÅL_ not REFLOLA. Sorry!

Edited by RagnarDa

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

You can either use the already generated mission for the closest enemy unit or you can create a MÅL point by setting SPA-mode and RefLola and Out then inputting target coordinates, and then L/MÅL and a number on the _keypad_ (Not B1-B9). Then set master mode to BER and select the generated cartridge as described above.

This is really really cool :thumbup:

Very good job! :)

Best regards,

M

Beg your pardon RagnarDa, but I could not replicate your procedure.

According to the manual it seems input of target waypoint should be done with VIND/RUTA mode selected

Is that correct?

Edited by Truthkeeper

You can either use the already generated mission for the closest enemy unit

But isn't that some cheating that gives you an unfair advantage in MP, if it magically knows the position of the neares enemy unit and creates a waypoint or flight plan for you on its location without any recon necessary?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes! I am going to either add it as something the mission creator can disable in ME or only use AI ‘discovered’ units, whichever seems to work best.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

I disagree. That the Viggen as the sole system has the ability to detect any enemy unit like that isn't cheating any more than the Sidearm AIM 122 of the Harrier or anything else which is present in other AC.

One thing I think is really cool with this is that I can fly a reconnaissance mission in SPA mode looking for targets.

When finding them I put them as SPA/MÅL (M1 etc).

Back on the ground just go to BER and they are selectable as cartridges in kneeboard to load.

Really cool :thumbup:

If it is a ship I can put them as SPA/SKU (S1 etc) to be able to determine speed and course.

But unfortunately the speed then got messed up in the kneeboard cartridge.

It was like 2300 km/h or something :lol:

So its calculated position and time on target was way of the map.

@Ragnar: Is it me doing something wrong with this, or isn't that function implemented? (yet? :smilewink:)

Would be really cool if that would work.:thumbup:

Best regards,

M

Ah I see what I did wrong. Thanks for the report surstromming. I'll just test it quickly to see if it works (forgot to divide the distance traveled with the time it took to travel to get the speed).

Edit: fix works

Edited by RagnarDa

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

Ah I see what I did wrong. Thanks for the report surstromming. I'll just test it quickly to see if it works (forgot to divide the distance traveled with the time it took to travel to get the speed).

Edit: fix works

Well that sounds fantastic :)

Thanks!

Best regards,

M

You can check against this chart http://www.viggentools.se/assets/elint/elint.pdf

The next patch of Viggen will include a small new wip feature where it will automatically generate flight plans (data cartridge) where you will search for the transmitter discovered in the ELINT-data. Like if you discovered a enemy radar station and want to precisely locate it. You’ll have the option to either plan with a standoff range or overfly the area.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

You can check against this chart http://www.viggentools.se/assets/elint/elint.pdf

The next patch of Viggen will include a small new wip feature where it will automatically generate flight plans (data cartridge) where you will search for the transmitter discovered in the ELINT-data. Like if you discovered a enemy radar station and want to precisely locate it. You’ll have the option to either plan with a standoff range or overfly the area.

This sounds interesting :thumbup:

Best regards,

M

Ok now things are getting interesting!

Thanks for making this more "user friendly" in MP. It might not be realistic but it makes flying it more fun and more usable.

Regarding the Custom Cartridge (MAL)... could someone please do a walkthrough that doesn't skip the little afterthought details that stupid people like me don't get? Please? I can't get this to work at all.

FYI, I just noticed the following.

I did a lot of messing around with the RB-15F last night (err... this morning, and yes, I'm a DCS junkie) in MP. The standard method as explained by xxJohnxx worked flawlessly. However, today I could not get the earlier explained version of inputting new target coords (VIND/RUTA - Cartridge) to work at all. In fact, only once was I able to convince the mission waypoints to change by selecting a different cartridge via the kneeboard, so I took off... and then, the kneeboard waypoints show'd one thing... while my Nav/Radar show'd nothing for B1. THAT said... the HUD/B1 indicator took me to the waypoint I had set as B1 yesterday (same server).

Easier to follow explanation:

1. I selected an ELINT SEARCH cartridge from the kneeboard (I haven't a clue if this was done via the ME, or it was autogenerated) and loaded it.

2. I looked at the kneeboard, which showed waypoints that were different from those that were there prior to loading the cartridge (there were none).

3. Taxied, lined up, referenced, took off (middle of runway or close to it).

Here's where it got interesting

4. the Auto-switch to B1 indicated a right turn (still low, gaining speed) so I started right turn.

5. I peeked outside... raised HUD... B1 NOW at a left turn (I hadn't turned right more than 10deg) AND the kneeboard coordinates had changed back to what I assume was either the original mission set by the ME or... I guess another cartridge, I just don't know.

6. So I turned left and lined HUD up on B1. Looked at Kneeboard... B1 was (according to kneeboard) supposed to be due west of Kras-Center on the West side of Troitsky(?)) However, I was flying Southwest.

7. No indication whatsoever of a waypoint on Radar (set to 120).

8. That's when I realized the B1 I was flying to was Gelendzhik... which was the B1 I was using YESTERDAY for a Nav Fix.

9. I nosed into the runway and came here.

So for a little FYI, I bounced servers a couple times yesterday and at some point, I started getting a NAV SYSTEM FAILURE warning light every time I flew...

So am I correct in thinking that if the MP server host has coded in a mission... you're stuck with it? That doesn't seem quite right because I WAS able to change waypoints around for ship attacks earlier in the evening, and it worked well... to a point, then it all went to crap.