Nvidia DSR and DCS

Hey peeps!

Just tried out DSR (Dynamic super resolution) in DCS and I must say I'm impressed.

I use a 21:9 2560x1080 monitor and a GTX 680 GPU.

I upped the resolution to 3620x1527 and tested out visibility.

Put myself on a runway in a Ka-50 and 5 other Ka-50s 500m from the ground. They were 16km, 18km, 20km, 22km and 24km away. While using MAX default FOV I could see all 5 Ka-50s on the 3620x1527 resolution. On the default resolution, I saw only 3, up to 20km away.

Upon further testing. It was a lot easier spotting ground targets in the Ka-50 + I did a P-51D vs Dora dogfight. Without using any FOV zoom. I didn't have any problem spotting and tracking him, it was even easier to track him when he was masked by the terrain.

On the downside, using my settings, The FPS were around 30, max 50 and never dropping below 20, not the best, but playable.

Anyone tried this out yet? What do you guys think?

Failure is the mother of all success.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what is your native screen resolution ?

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I use a 21:9 2560x1080 monitor and a GTX 680 GPU.

:P

Really interesting test. I use a 1920x1080, I'll try next week :)

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

so just to make sure i got it straight , is the OP saying that he increased the resolution , then it was scaled back to native and it gave him better spotting distance?

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good report & great news Kenta :thumbup:

Will definitely use this when i have one of the new Nvidia GPUs

I use also a 21:9 (by your recommendation) as you know ;)

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

That should set you straight and the short answer is yes you will see more details for example other aircraft in the sky are drawn in moooooooor better. Just realize you need beast gpus to do this

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

That should set you straight and the short answer is yes you will see more details for example other aircraft in the sky are drawn in moooooooor better. Just realize you need beast gpus to do this

Absolutely Correct!!!

This is the best thing that's come to DCS sense the announcement of the new image generator (Soon to Be a part of DCS).

I noticed immediate higher graphics quality in game. The MFCDs display a largely improved image quality. I can't get over the quality of the Targeting Pod now. out standing. I can see incoming missile from further away now also allowing greater Situation Awareness for sure. Exciting times for DCS and Nvidia users.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

I thought DSR had to be added before it could work? I cannot find the list of games it is supposed to work with but there was no mention of DCS? So do the games need to be added or not? I'm a bit confused after reading they did need adding.

Apparently you dont enable it, all it does is add extra resolution options in game. You select one of them and DSR basically fools the game into thinking you are using a higher res screen, and downscales it to what you are actually using.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I LIKE TO PLAY

PRODIGAL WOMBAT STIMULATOR

personally it feels more blurry to me at higher resolution...

i have to play a little more with it..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

nice find!i tested this today with a mate, and we both immediately noticed a big difference in spotting contacts, and quite some other little details which normally get lost.

interestingly though, i didnt even adjust the resolution ingame but left it at my default 1920x1080, and still noticed a big difference!

so is this part of the new drivers and how are they otherwise for dcs? thx

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

Dont seem able to find any options for DSR and DCS. Can't increase resolution in game past 1920x1080. Where am I supposed to be looking?

Nvidia Control Panel

Manage 3D settings

Global Settings - DSR Factors, DSR Smoothness

It is not program specific but rather a global setting.

its working for my 780 you need to download latest NVidia experience I think

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

its working for my 780 you need to download latest NVidia experience I think

Yes, AFAIK, you need Geforce Experience installed to use DSR.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Yes, AFAIK, you need Geforce Experience installed to use DSR.

this my friend

used this to get it going.....

How To Enable Nvidia Dynamic Super Resolution (DS…:

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

Odd, no sign of it! Im on latest drivers. GTX 780ti

Have you applied the latest driver? It isn't showing for me either but I realised there is an update which I'm downloading now. It includes DSR in the description.

EDIT: Update applied, it is now showing.

Edited by Python

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]