Beacon Map

I´ve prepared a navigation map containing the exact position of NDBs, VORs, TACAN, VORTAC, ILS, channels, frequencies, morse codes and markers. That should make navigaton over long distances for most DCS aircraft much easier.

Note: This is a .JPG file! It is not possible to integrate it into the DCS World environment (some dudes tried this). You have to use the beacon map preferred with Windows Photo Viewer (easy zoom function with mouse wheel, fast image formation) on a separate monitor / laptop computer. An alternative solution may be the use on a tablet or a mobile phone.

[ATTACH]129958[/ATTACH]

Current version Caucasus Theater: 1.45

Downloadlink: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/588673/

Latest fixes:

- Added ATC channels for the UH-1H (UHF)

- Added ATC channels for the M-2000C (VHF / UHF)

- Added airport information

- Added NDBs and ILS for both possible landing directions

- All changes in frequencies, morse codes, ILS and NDBs since DCS World 1.5. See current status here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YLbioEyGUpo015lcOhV1HsYGLUJCPFwwmybnBd_mKAE/edit

[ATTACH]129959[/ATTACH]

Current version Nevada Theater: 0.4

Downloadlink: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1587399/

Please keep in mind that this is a very early release and everything is much work in progress. Of course I am open for any comment regarding improvements and possible bugs.

SINCE THERE ARE MANY PLANNED NEW FEATURES FOR THIS THEATER (NEW AIRBASES AND AREAS), THE PROJECT IS CURRENTLY ON ICE.

Edited by Lino_Germany
  • Like 10

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that I will ever use this but I am definitely keeping it for reference.

Rep for quite a bit of very nice work!! :thumbup:

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Awesome job... Any idea how big would it be printed out to map scale?

For printing out a high res Version of the map in large scale, I recommend for best results the original CorelDRAW X6 source file or the extracted Bitmap-File (about 7.1 GB). If you know a feasible way to send it without making it public, I´d give you the source file for this purpose.

Edited by Lino_Germany

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany

Hi IvanK. I can´t reconstruct that issue. The unzipped JPG-File weights just 38MB, so every fairly system should handle it. Try out to wait a certain while when opening the file.

The JPEG file may just be 38 MB, but for displaying normal programs will decode the whole thing to a bitmap. I checked here on Linux right now using eog, the process uses 3.4 GB of memory. Purely from the pixel count, assuming 32 bit per pixel, the image alone takes ~2 GB.

IOW, it probably can't be displayed on a 32 bit OS or with a 32 bit program.

Many thanks, really impressive work

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 6700K @ 4.2, MSI M5 Z170A Gaming, NZXT X61 Kraken liquid cooler, PNY Nvidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 Mhz C15, samsung 840 evo SSD, CoolerMaster 1000W Gold rated PSU, NZXT Noctis 450 cabinet, Samsung S240SW 24' 1920x1200 LED panel, X-52 Pro Flight stick. W10 Pro x64 1809, NO antivirus EVER

The JPEG file may just be 38 MB, but for displaying normal programs will decode the whole thing to a bitmap. I checked here on Linux right now using eog, the process uses 3.4 GB of memory. Purely from the pixel count, assuming 32 bit per pixel, the image alone takes ~2 GB.

According to the Windows Task-Manager, IrfanView takes circa 1.55 GB of RAM and Photoshop CS2 takes about 1.62 GB of RAM when opening the Beacon Map, so it should be doable for a 32 Bit Windows with either of these tools. I'm running Win 7 64, though, and haven't tested on Win 32.

Edit: Ganz vergessen, dann auch nochmal auf Englisch: Awesome work, Lino! :)

very nice map, thank you.

Shame the F10 map isn't like it.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

You would expect a program not to load the the entire image as an uncompressed bitmap into memory anyways but only the portion of it that is currently looked at.

Not really. Consider that normally the viewer will display a scaled down version that fits on your screen. This means reading and decoding the whole image to create a scaled down version. If it dumped the data after processing, it would have to load, decode and process the relevant image portions all over again every time you zoom or pan, which would be quite inefficient.

I'm certain there are programs doing that, but those would be specialized applications for scientific data processing, satellite image processing or the like. Basically where you would expect the image to be much bigger than your beefed up workstations memory. I just would not expect your regular image viewers to do that.

For Version 1.1 of the Beacon Map: Would it be useful for you when the morse codes next to the associated frequencies would be added?

That would be very helpful thanks Lino. At the moment I have to refer to both your map and spreadsheet when planning my route in the Huey.

Would also appreciate it if you could include a distinctive TACAN beacon marker on the map and their respective channel/ mode setting (e.g.67X) like you have for the other type of beacons with their frequencies.

A high-contrast version (perhaps with a grayscale map/background) would be nice - especially if it's printed.

I tried opening the current map with my Galaxy S2, no problems at all! Zooming&panning was very smooth. If it only had a 10" screen... maybe it's time to finally buy that tablet.

Dear Shilka. I hate you so very very much. Love, Rex

That would be very helpful thanks Lino. At the moment I have to refer to both your map and spreadsheet when planning my route in the Huey.

Would also appreciate it if you could include a distinctive TACAN beacon marker on the map and their respective channel/ mode setting (e.g.67X) like you have for the other type of beacons with their frequencies.

I will regard that suggestion, Phantom.

Kind regards,

Lino_Germany