Help!

C3PO

Just got a new joystick after a decad or so away from flight sims properly and need some help / advice please :)

I have the Saitek X52 Pro throttle and stick and it's fine for me. But I am having real problems figuring out what functions mean in the controls menu etc...

For example, how do I switch A-A, A-G etc... and how do I move the A-A cursors in the MFD to slew to a radar object and lock it up?

Been a while and I feel a complete newbie. Is there a profile for the X-52 system which will have all those functions assigned?

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

There are plenty of profiles floating around out there, but after hundreds of hours of flight time on the X52 I developed my own keybinds that served me quite well until I upgraded to the TMWH. Not knowing what platform you want profiles for (please consider adding more info to your thread title when asking for help), I would say map just what you need to take off (pitch/roll/rudder/throttle etc) and then fly around in various situations. Flying the Hawg? Think to yourself "I want to press TMS left long" and see which hat or switch makes the most sense. Want to uncage your seeker head? Guess what, you'll prob need that keybind for lots of platforms so maybe keep that in mind.

Don't forget that you can assign X52 switches as modifiers. I basically doubled the number of keybinds on my stick by making the pinky paddle (joybutton 6 I believe) a modifier.

But if you don't care about that level of personalization, just go to the DCS website, click on user files, and you should be able to find plenty of X52 profiles.

I have the Saitek X52 Pro throttle and stick and it's fine for me. But I am having real problems figuring out what functions mean in the controls menu etc...

For example, how do I switch A-A, A-G etc... and how do I move the A-A cursors in the MFD to slew to a radar object and lock it up?

On DCS each flyable aircraft is unique (well, maybe except the Flamming Cliff's aircrafts, as they are very similar with each other from the standpoint of system's modelling) and that means that every aircraft has its own controls sheet, that you select from a list.

You can find it on DCS Options -> Controls .. like this:

4TwbVMc.jpg

On this sample, I've selected the F-14 Pilot's control sheet ... you should choose the sheet of your aircraft.

Once the proper aircraft is selected, you can then explore all the commands that it has .. they are unique to each aircraft, tough some of them do repeat, like the View key commands, etc.

:)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Addendum: DCS really did us a solid by allowing us to edit keybinds mid mission so take full advantage of that. You can sort and filter keybind categories, so I would say as a starter, everything under the HOTAS category should be at your fingertips.

Addendum: DCS really did us a solid by allowing us to edit keybinds mid mission so take full advantage of that. You can sort and filter keybind categories, so I would say as a starter, everything under the HOTAS category should be at your fingertips.

Yes!! Good point, love that feature

Marc..

Thank you all for these pointers. I need to escape from the world for a week of research ;)

Is there a manual around for the Hornet?

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

Thank you all for these pointers. I need to escape from the world for a week of research ;)

Watch youtube vids to learn everything the quickest. There are many to choose from.

tutorials for everything here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZuXjkFY00p1ga3UyCBbR2w/playlists?view=50&sort=dd&shelf_id=5

and hornet specifically here:

Yes, its on /program files/eagle dynamics/dcs/mods/aircraft/FA-18C/doc

Also, there is a very nice Guide written by Chuck, here:

https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs/

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thank you!

Couple of hints. Stuff I wish I'd a known.

1. Don't use programming software, map everything in-game

2. Some things are keys, some are buttons, and some are axes. Some things require keyboard input (ESC menu, bogey dope). Some functions can map to joystick or throttle buttons. "Axis" is things like pitch, roll, brakes. They can be mapped to sliding or rotating controls or mini-joysticks. Sliders are cool, use em when you can. You have to click the "Axis" button in the settings screen to program them (eg, TDC slew)

3. Save a 4-way switch for comms. When you first start flying solo, all you really need is to map comm menu but when you start using realistic coms, or if you get into multiplayer, you'll be using at least two radios and sometimes more.

4. In general you want to map the same thing to the same buttons if you can. Every jet has a trigger and a pickle button, for example. Other things I have perma-mapped to the HOTAS include speed brake, target undesignate, nosewheel steering, chaff, flare, TDC slew and select, trim. I have left and right engine start, and lights, mapped to the base. You may want to map gear and flaps some kinda way. Other things are very hard to perma-map. For example, radar elevation (critical but works differently in different jets), weapon select, radar modes (ditto)

4. When you're mapping a modifier key, it can either be mapped as a "switch" or a "button." Switch is like a toggle, you have to press it once to act as a modifier and press it again to turn it off. "Button" means it's only active while you are pressing it. The latter will probably work best with your hardware.

5. Easiest way to know if you're in afterburner or not is to press RCTL-ENT. That brings up an overlay that shows your throttle position, handy and way easier than trying to map afterburner (a la Hornet) or modify the throttle to give you a detent

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder