HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

I have the best hardware the money can buy apart from the graphics card (gtx 1080ti so second fastest card in the consumer world) and i cannot get an odissey+ to run with satisfying results on dcs I don’t see how dcs could run on a similar headset

I tested couple weeks ago my Oculus Rift on the second setup (that uses TrackIR) that has only a GTX 1060... And I was heavily surprised that it works amazingly well. I had the AWS enabled and I saw it working only in a very few situations, like:

• one of those is a own aircraft shadow when flying in Su-25 at 30 meter altitude, the shadow gets half-drawn and bends slightly.

• In a dog fight moment when merging with the enemy at high speed, the aircraft clearly gets drawn at every second/third frame on that split second when you can see it fly past you from 11 clock to 9 clock at 50-100 meter distance. But if you fly in formation with someone, chasing someone etc, not any signs of warping etc.

• On a low level flying (< 30-50 meters) on Nevada the Su-25T cockpit edges around the mirrors can slightly warp, noticeable but not distracting at all.

• I could keep all the mirrors enabled on all aircrafts, it was zero performance hit (1024 all frames) and made possible to observe what happens behind.

I set the graphical settings IIRC: Shadows flat, global cockpit shadows On, no MSAA or SSA, texture filtering at 4x, high ground textures (I use the https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233952 that is like fully required!) and high model textures (the cockpit etc). I had the 80% draw of the trees range, and visibility range set to High. Preloading set to max. All the Visual FX of heat blur, lens flare etc off.

But there were few modules I couldn't fly well, Mig-21Bis was one of them. Filled the 6GB VRAM almost instantly. And then was Gazelle (the cannon variant) that had some more serious warping at low level when flying on the rivers between all the trees, that made little disturbing to notice it on edges of FOV. With KA-50 or UH-1H it wasn't problem at all.

Would I test that setup on the HP Reverb resolution? No, not at all. But I can recommend someone just starting with VR to go with that 1060 or 1070 or maybe even 2070 instead invest right away to 1080Ti or 2080 Ti.

Sure I can put more shadows on and enable slight MSAA with 1080Ti, but those are not at all required for very pleasant high FPS flying.

That is what I am waiting from the 50% improvement as I like to see how far I can push that 1060 then, as if I can enable MSAA or ground shadows, instant reason to consider buying a second hand Oculus Rift for that setup as well!

This reason for testing came after the Nvidia driver update couple weeks ago, that made HUGE HUGE HUGE difference in the performance. I talk about the version 419.67 that got out 25.03.2019. Totally worth upgrading to that version as someone said here. The VR performance just got like 50% better on 1080Ti already!

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thank God for my bog standard 64mm IPD... so with Wags' announcement of the VR performance boost, this res actually might become manageable!

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

It is adjustable with software, I think the main issue is the sweet spot, on WMR headsets can be a challenge as they are smaller than some headsets, but I have got used to that with mine. Hopefully with the reverb we will see some improvement in that department.

I feel little sad that so many is moving to that software IPD thing, while it should be called as software 3D scaling or virtual camera scaling. And IPD used correctly, strictly on the eyes distance for the screens and lenses.

And that way have the Oculus Rift design, physically adjusted lens distance. And as the new HMD's are having dual panels instead one, they could very well move those two panels as well.

This just to get more comfortable and better usage. The optimal would of course be a two-axis adjustment. The X and Z individually. So first you could adjust lenses/panels at your IPD and then adjust both lens/display distance to the eye, as that helps for many because most do not have the same focal length on both eyes and not same sight quality.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• ED Team
I feel little sad that so many is moving to that software IPD thing, while it should be called as software 3D scaling or virtual camera scaling. And IPD used correctly, strictly on the eyes distance for the screens and lenses.

And that way have the Oculus Rift design, physically adjusted lens distance. And as the new HMD's are having dual panels instead one, they could very well move those two panels as well.

This just to get more comfortable and better usage. The optimal would of course be a two-axis adjustment. The X and Z individually. So first you could adjust lenses/panels at your IPD and then adjust both lens/display distance to the eye, as that helps for many because most do not have the same focal length on both eyes and not same sight quality.

I agree, we don't all have the same heads / eyes, so as much adjustment as possible should be the default.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Should be interesting watching all the disappointment of those receiving their headsets and realizing they can’t get to the sweet spot or they experience massive eye strain and hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I agree, we don't all have the same heads / eyes, so as much adjustment as possible should be the default.

The upcoming Valve Index has the physical IPD adjustment.

That is the one I have my eye on.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

they could do all that, sure... at a cost.

but most wont pay extra for it. so they do it in software. which is way, way cheaper.

Its actually weird for HP not to have IPD adjustment unless their lens tech actually lives up to the hype. I mean its marketed towards pro's who will probably expect pro-level performance.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• ED Team
The upcoming Valve Index has the physical IPD adjustment.

That is the one I have my eye on.

Yes been checking it out it looks nice, still want the high res of the reverb though, I have wanted that since the beginning :music_whistling:

they could do all that, sure... at a cost.

but most wont pay extra for it. so they do it in software. which is way, way cheaper.

Yep sadly, however the reverb has a commercial version and the only difference is the disposable pads for the headset, you would have thought they would have gone the extra mile for that and cashed in with a higher price point for business users.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Yep sadly, however the reverb has a commercial version and the only difference is the disposable pads for the headset, you would have thought they would have gone the extra mile for that and cashed in with a higher price point for business users.

Unless they don't need it due to their lens design.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I guess we'll have to wait for reviews, but it's hard to imagine HP putting out something half baked and not up to the job. All the stuff I've ever had from them has been really well made.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

• ED Team
Unless they don't need it due to their lens design.

Hopefully, I did watch a video with one of the devs saying they didn't think it was needed and they were happy with the sweet spot.

I guess we'll have to wait for reviews, but it's hard to imagine HP putting out something half baked and not up to the job.

it all depends on your viewpoint.

who’s job? what was the criteria?

from a business perspective, i can assure you, a low volume niche market, was not the target.

it all depends on your viewpoint.

who’s job? what was the criteria?

from a business perspective, i can assure you, a low volume niche market, was not the target.

Just a figure of speech. I've had all sorts of Hewlett Packard gear over the years and I have been consistently impressed with their products. The 'job' in question is that of being a brilliant HMD, which is what I suspect the Reverb will be.

i7-7700K/Gigabyte RTX2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Sennheiser HD380pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/Rift CV1

I'll buy whatever HMD has those 2160x2160 panels and physical IPD adjustment. Hopefully the Cosmos has these displays (I'm leaning towards they do since Vive is advertising the RGB pixels), so I can keep the best tracking/controllers.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

I'll buy whatever HMD has those 2160x2160 panels and physical IPD adjustment. Hopefully the Cosmos has these displays (I'm leaning towards they do since Vive is advertising the RGB pixels), so I can keep the best tracking/controllers.

Looks like it's Acer for you.

The Headset

The Acer ConceptD Ojo Windows Mixed Reality is a yet another 4K head mounted display aimed primarily at professionals. The HMD is equipped with two 2.89-inch screens featuring a 2160×2160 resolution per eye (4320×2160 combined resolution), a 90 Hz refresh rate, and an unknown field of view. The AR/VR headset features integrated inside-out 6-degree-of-freedom (6DoF) positional tracking and therefore does not require any external sensors. Besides, it also has its own audio headset, and two front-facing cameras to enable augmented reality applications.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14208/acer-conceptd

ConceptD OJO

4,320 x 2,160 Display

Detachable & Swappable Design

Easy Pupil Distance Adjustment

Patented Sound Pipe

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/conceptd-home

Ya the Acer is now the front runner. But it still only has two cameras.

Since the Valve Index is only shown as having DP 1.2 (which forces low resolution), it seems the only thing that could trump the Acer may be the Vive Cosmos.

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

Ya the Acer is now the front runner. But it still only has two cameras.

The Acer looks interesting, although I still am struggling with the Reverb not having any physical IPD adjustment. Surely there must be more to this than we know at the moment. I can't believe that HP would allow this design unless the software adjustment was a good enough alternative.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

not everything HP produces is designed by the same 4 people.

and some managers use different calculations for target market and product viability.

and almost everything in engineering is a compromise.

simply put, it’s more likely they can sell more units with a lower price and no IPD adjustment.

If you read their press release they believe their lens systems with its very wide "Sweet spot" will accommodate most users, hence no physical IPD adjustment.

I wonder if there is some kind of review embargo in place for the reverb, it's due out in a couple of weeks and it has been pretty quiet since the release announcement.

I wonder if there is some kind of review embargo in place for the reverb, it's due out in a couple of weeks and it has been pretty quiet since the release announcement.

Yeah I have seen very little, though at this point I'm also gonna wait on the index, and whatever the acer thing is too.

The Valve Index still has most of my attention.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The Valve Index still has most of my attention.

Yeah, their lens patent is interesting, double fresnel! So in theory a wider "clean" spot for FOV. Which HP claim as well.