AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

Wags

AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE  

441 members have voted

1. 1. AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

• 1 Calendar Day
    • 3 Calendar Days ( Current System Under Evaluation )
    • 7 Calendar Days
    • 14 Calendar Days
    • 21 Calendar Days
    • 30 Calendar Days ( Once a Month )
    • 60 Calendar Days
    • 90 Calendar Days

IMO these systems should annoy the user as little as possible while maintaining sufficient safety for the company.

If I wish to work on mission building that includes assets that require the copy protection I want to have that freedom as a paying customer whenever I please regardless of my having an internet connection or not. I am abroad often and I also reside in hotels at times where there is no internet in your room or internet is very expensive.

A three day limit would severely hamper my ability to use DCS in that case, so I have voted for 90 days. The chance of being without internet for longer is very slim.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until the powers that be actually answer the question about starforce what we can work out

1. IF a module is activated and the user is offline for very long periods (from what people have posted)

the module will continue to work fine without internet

2. IF a module key is revoked at starforce and the PC with this module has an internet connection

starforce on the local PC can phone home to starforce and thus revoke it

This means that yes starforce protection can phone home to check a key

BUT it is NOT mandatory, unlike the proposed new DRM system

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

If each module install is hardware locked then you should be able to limit calling home to joining MP, updating, or installing a new module.

If the idea of the new DRM is to move away from a hardware locked install, then I can see the need to have regular contact.

I'm not a DRM expert though, so there could be variables I'm not aware of.

• ED Team
Until the powers that be actually answer the question about starforce what we can work out

At this point it doesnt matter what Starforce does, ED is moving forward with this new DRM, and only reviewing what is the best way to use it.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Points From Russian Forum on New Protection System Thread

Hello Everyone,

Been reading through the Russian section of the forums. There is a similar thread about the new DRM. Russian Thread On New DRM Protection System

I could not find any post(s) from Offical ED Personnel stating the "First" and/ or "Primary Goal" purpose of the new DRM is to combat piracy/fraud.

A few points I have gathered from the posts of Official ED Personnel. USSR_Rik and Chizh.

Вторая хотелка по новой системе (после статы) - как выше упоминали - бесплатный пробный период на модули (временный ключ). То-же было-бы неплохо, особенно потестировать сторонние модули.

По этому поводу могу процитировать сообщение коллеги во внутреннем чате ED:

собственно это и была основная цель апгрейда))

Тут имеется в виду комплекс работ и по новой системе активации/защиты и по недавним техническим работам на сайте.

Поймите, новая система защиты позволит нам в дальнейшем развивать онлайновые сервисы, например летную книжку. Это концептуально востребованный шаг для дальнейшего развития проекта.

А какие онлайн сервисы в перспективе могут появиться и как это связано с летной книжкой?

Онлайн летная книжка и леддер пилотов первое что приходит на ум.

Loosely translated by Google Translate for convenience :

The second Wishlist on the new system (after the stat flightbook) - as mentioned above - a free trial period for the modules (temporary key). The same was, it would be nice, especially to test third-party modules.

On this occasion, I can quote the message of a colleague in an internal ED chat:

actually this was the main goal of the upgrade))

Here we mean a set of works on the new activation / protection system and on the recent technical work on the site.

Understand, the new protection system will allow us to further develop online services, for example, a flight book. This is a conceptually required step for the further development of the project. [/Quote]

And what online services in the future can appear and how it is related to the flight book?

The online flight book and the pilot's glacier are the first that comes to mind.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Edited by MonnieRock
Typographical errors

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

At this point it doesnt matter what Starforce does, ED is moving forward with this new DRM, and only reviewing what is the best way to use it.

You defended the new drm by claiming that Starforce does the same (need to phone home regularly). And now as it seems your claim is wrong it suddenly doesn't matter? :huh:

• ED Team
You defended the new drm by claiming that Starforce does the same (need to phone home regularly). And now as it seems your claim is wrong it suddenly doesn't matter? :huh:

I never claimed that, I stated I heard that it did call home, I mean it must otherwise how does it know there is something wrong, such as a banned key. It's not the same as what the new DRM is, but it must require some amount of internet access to work some features.

But I never claimed it worked like the new DRM.

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Erm, but understanding how the current system works is that not necessary to design a new a "better" system ?

For the person coding the new system I am sure, are you coding the new system?

Nope, are you ?

But it would still be good to know how the current DRM works to be able to evaluate if the new one really is better before spending my hard earned money.

But as it seems that Starforce does not take away my ability to play offline when it can´t phone home I think I have already formed an opinion what is better...

• ED Team
But it would still be good to know how the current DRM works to be able to evaluate if the new one really is better before spending my hard earned money.

But as it seems that Starforce does not take away my ability to play offline when it can´t phone home I think I have already formed an opinion what is better...

Starforce isnt coming back though. ED needs to do this not only for better protection but other features they want to add and expand to.

64Sig.png

Firstly, Starforce does attempt to phone home every 31 days.

So the statement is correct, and you can stop insinuating that we lied to you about Starforce behavior.

The Difference between Starforce and ED's New DRM is Offline Behavior.

For Starforce, If it cannot connect, and the Machine Hardware Profile has not changed, then it proceeds offline as long as Hardware Profile doesnt change, or the developer didnt integrate a requirement to refresh, in which case Starforce Console would pop up w/ the Key Entered and ask to activate.

With Starforce, if Hardware Profile Changes and you're off line, you will not be able to activate the product, even the "offline" mode requires Internet access to enter Code Strings into a webpage to get a key to paste into the starforce console.

With ED's new DRM at the Moment, there should be a 72 hour Time out in offline mode.

Since this system is new, there might be bugs and quirks in how it operates (blocking module immediately on auth. fail),

as well as general user feed back changes (extending the time).

This is why we have Open Beta/Open Alpha Branches.

Also, As it was cross posted from the Russian Section, The New DRM allows ED to Assign Any ED Login Permission to access a module without the need to issue a key. Which would allow for things like:

-Press Preview/Review Access to Modules

-Free Trials of Modules

-Open Access / Free to Play Weekends for Modules.

-Easier Gifting / Transferring rights.

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Which would allow for things like:

-Press Preview/Review Access to Modules

-Free Trials of Modules

-Open Access / Free to Play Weekends for Modules.

-Easier Gifting / Transferring rights.

Thanks for info SkateZilla, these are some cool features.

Firstly, Starforce does attempt to phone home every 31 days.

So the statement is correct, and you can stop insinuating that we lied to you about Starforce behavior.

No, the statement was:

"Even Starforce requires a phone home from time to time." https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3306838&postcount=110

And now you confirmed that Starforce only attempt to phone home, and if the attempt wasn't successful, I still can run the game. Therefore for starforce to phone home is not a requirement to run the game. In contrast to the new drm.

• Like 1

The new features that can come with the new DRM have some good upsides...there is a concern about the flip side of giving them full control however. They would now have the ability to suspend/revoke your ability to play the modules you purchased quite easily...just like suspending your ability to use the forums.

I think it would be disastrous for them to do so...but anything is possible.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard

Windows 7 64 bit Home edition

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz

16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory

EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card

Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)

Samsung 840 1TB SSD

Onboard Realtek sound

Come on guys, we all new Starforce did not lock anybody out for good. If that would have been the case, those of you who really need the offline mode would have experienced that and said so.

Sith stated himself that he is not completely sure how Starforce works, and that Wags responded again and cleared things up clearly means, that ''phone home'' thing every x number of days is a change and new compared to Starforce. Besides, trying to phone home and disabling modules if that fails, does not necessarily need to go together.

Besides guys, a community manager can only say what he knows and has been cleared to say. Again, lets keep calm and wait whether friday news bring some clarification on this entire matter.

They need to find a way without limiting ability to play offline. Like phone home on updates and when playing MP only.

^ Yeah pretty much this being a good solution ^