March Madness of DCS Fixed Wing Aircraft

311Gryphon

I don't normally post my own videos unless someone specifically asks for them. However, I'm doing something stupid that people might find fun, or maybe not. I don't know.

This is a goofy double elimination tournament I'm having fun putting together of AI aircraft going head to head in mostly unfair contests of air supremacy. I'll probably do a guns only tournament later, and maybe similar capability brackets. But for now, in tribute to the NCAA basketball tournament coming up, I submit to the DCS community the March Madness of DCS Fixed Wing Aircraft (or most of them).

I've attached a .zip with an excel spreadsheet in it of the bracket if anyone wants to fill it out. Forgive me for not using Google docs or something like that but I'm old. I'd love to have a contest but for now I'm not going to do any real prizes. If enough people care to enter I'll entertain the idea but I really don't know how to go about giving modules away any more. I know ED made some changes to how that works.

But, no matter how many people fill out a bracket I'll at least give shout outs to the top three placings. I'll keep an eye on this thread and any brackets that get attached (if you don't want to pop a spreadsheet in as an attachment I can take screenshots as long as I can read them).

Cheers and I hope everyone has fun with this.

DCSMarchMadnessBracket.zip

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can also email brackets to 311gryphon at gmail dot com. Just realized people may not want their brackets visible.

I'll also spell out the rules of the bracket a little more clearly here.

In each round/match the following applies

1. Aircraft are AI controlled with skill set to "good"

2. Each aircraft gets its best applicable mixture of air to air weapons, whatever that may be

3. No external fuel tanks are applied

4. Aircraft at placed, facing north, 40 miles apart on an east/west line (so aircraft A is 40 miles west of aircraft B, aircraft B is 40 miles east of aircraft A)

5. Aircraft are co-altitude (right now 15,000 feet ASL, might play with that later)

6. Aircraft are set to travel 400 knots (if they can't get that fast they'll go whatever speed they can get to)

7. Each aircraft gets a waypoint set at exactly the midpoint of the east/west line - the waypoint for each aircraft is in the same spot as the waypoint of the other aircraft

8. The winner is the plane left flying at the end of whatever happens

9. In the event that both aircraft are destroyed, the one that crashes into the ground/water/or other object first loses. If I am unable to tell, then I'll try to tell which one got damaged first. If I can't tell, we'll redo the round.

10. Tournament is double elimination

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

We're nearing the end. This is the 2nd to last video in the bracket. This one wound up being a bit better just due to them all being purpose built air superiority fighters. I wouldn't call them close necessarily but a couple weren't one and done fights at least.

Next video will be the finale of the regular bracket. I do plan on doing a guns only bracket though. Maybe single elimination so I'm not stuck doing this till mid-summer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Whoops, I uploaded the last video but my video editor messed it up and I didn't watch it after the render. I had to take it down and will try again tomorrow.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]