CASE 1 Approach Chart

Kola360

Nice work.

Cool:) I think you're getting somewhere with this. Yes, CNTRA sop's should be good enough for most of us (including ED) and the fleet ops were not that much different circa... what... 90's?

Wouldn't it be nice to have AI controllers with voice recognition... well, they might not pick up on some accents but language packs would follow shortly after (by 2030?:smartass:)

If there is a "carrier module" in the works, would be nice to get some insights into it... anyone?

BTW, "popeye" = "on top" (of weather/cloud layer). Naval aviators... correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry, I quoted "4c Nicola" instead of "Cola360"

Edited by Gripes323
drunk, lol

Cool:) I think you're getting somewhere with this. Yes, CNTRA sop's should be good enough for most of us (including ED) and the fleet ops were not that much different circa... what... 90's?

Wouldn't it be nice to have AI controllers with voice recognition... well, they might not pick up on some accents but language packs would follow shortly after (by 2030?:smartass:)

If there is a "carrier module" in the works, would be nice to get some insights into it... anyone?

BTW, "popeye" = "on top" (of weather/cloud layer). Naval aviators... correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Wags said something about a carrier module during a Q and A around the time NTTR was being released. Would be nice if that module also contained a Pri Fly view and LSO platform with VR support.

The "popeye" definition was taken directly from P-816. I've never heard it before so you might be right. :dunno:

The exact sources i used are here:

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/local/docs/pat-pubs/P-816.pdf

http://navybmr.com/study%20material/cv-natops-21oct99.pdf

P-816 seems to be from 2014 but its for the T-45C, so there might be somethings that are only for that aircraft.

CV NATOPS is from 1997, but i was unable to find all the communication among other things in that manual.

Excellent work, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

great stuff! thank you for pulling together and posting!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Brilliant! Thanks for making this! :)

One thing though, that i'Ve been wondering since the Hornet came out and was so hoping to find answer on that awesome chart... Holding Pattern and Spinning speed... 350 kts or 250 kts?

Theres no specific speed that ive found, although ive heard rumors about two flights in one stack and i dont see how that would work without a standardized speed.

Although in the CNATRA P-816 it says that a maximum consume fuel flow airspeed should be kept unless instructed otherwise.

Theres no specific speed that ive found, although ive heard rumors about two flights in one stack and i dont see how that would work without a standardized speed.

Although in the CNATRA P-816 it says that a maximum consume fuel flow airspeed should be kept unless instructed otherwise.

Until a real Hornet pilot chimes in... the "librarians" rule:D

In the Rhino max endurance approximation would be around 250kts and best range -300kts (can be verified on DDI's FPAS page, which will be implemented here "in the future"). So, max conserve should be around 250ish.

Oh, I checked the "popeye" call. In Case 1 departures, the first a/c of each flight reports "popeye" to departure when passing 18k and not on top (of the cloud cover if there is one).

Kola360,

Just to verify. The spin is drawn around 5nm radius. I thought it was around 3nm @ 1200asl.

I'm just poking around before I make it an official "plate" for myself and few others I fly with.

So far it's the best designed and concise compilation of Case 1 material I've seen.

Kola360,

Just to verify. The spin is drawn around 5nm radius. I thought it was around 3nm @ 1200asl.

I'm just poking around before I make it an official "plate" for myself and few others I fly with.

So far it's the best designed and concise compilation of Case 1 material I've seen.

You might be right. I was not sure when i read that and then watched one of Lex youtube video.

He says roughly the marshal stack so i dont know which i should put...

Also thanks alot for that comment Gripes, it means alot!

Edited by Kola360

Excellent! Would be helpful if some of the fonts were bigger. The yellow is a little hard to see. Very informative chart. Thanks.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Thanks, that was the two evasive info i couldn't put my hands on. So i ended up doing 350 kts for the spin as it's the speed we are going when in for the break, and 250 kts for the pattern as you don't wanna turn too fast i presume. But ended up going 350 kts as well cuz i was getting too impatient to do my break lol

We do spins all the time in VFA-113. When the flight ahead of has a couple bolters lead just climbs to 1200 and cranks it. It’s a fun challenge but you try to time it so you are re-entering the break just as the last guy is catching a wire.

Staying close and tight you can watch the missed approach guys in the pattern and have a better shot at a good interval.

It’s a fun thing to do and gives you a front row seat to the recoveries.

We do spins all the time in VFA-113. When the flight ahead of has a couple bolters lead just climbs to 1200 and cranks it. It’s a fun challenge but you try to time it so you are re-entering the break just as the last guy is catching a wire.

Staying close and tight you can watch the missed approach guys in the pattern and have a better shot at a good interval.

It’s a fun thing to do and gives you a front row seat to the recoveries.

I was trying to find spinning and holding pattern speed to adjsut my thing, becauset, my thrill is not just the pattern (launch, get 600 ft, get in downwind and trop), when i do Carrier training, i love taking off from the Cats, do my 20ish AoB for 20 deg, then back to carrier's bearing, below 500 ft until 2.5 nm (7 nm is way too long training, i'm too impatient to land and when online on public servers, 2.5 nm is enough to leave space to others in the pattern or breaking) i then turn 350 kts up to 1,200 to mimick spinning and end up 5 nm downind, then start my descent when ship is 30 deg passed me and manage to end up at 800 ft at 3 nm behind the ship and going in for the break around 0.2-0.3 nm offset fromt he ship's portside, trap rinse and repeat, sometimes i do the alternates, climb to 2,000 ft at 250 kts and mimick descent from the Pattern. Not sure if i do it properly, but i do from the info i found, so this chart is awesome for me. The combination of all stages and getting where you want to be when you want it, when you get to achieve it, is so cool, even though i do not succed all the time and might not do it properly. But i'm training to be steady in my turn, speed, boring training for many, but i just love it.

Thanks, that was the two evasive info i couldn't put my hands on. So i ended up doing 350 kts for the spin as it's the speed we are going when in for the break, and 250 kts for the pattern as you don't wanna turn too fast i presume. But ended up going 350 kts as well cuz i was getting too impatient to do my break lol

As Lex Talionis mentioned in his video, there are no set speeds. It's unit SOP or lead dependent.

@Kola360,

What is that chart in? Photoshop? Visio? If it's an editable format, would you mind uploading it in native format?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Ah, I can see in your Sources, that you've implemented Lex's Carrier Case 1 presentation....very good !!!

I've done a simple formula for myself (hand written), but your approach is extraordinaire, appreciate it a lot :smartass:

Thank you so much for sharing this with us; you've saved me a lot of time :thumbup:

All the best.

How to enter the stack?

It has to be in the two specified routines?

What does spin pattern mean?

2 past bow.I don't get it.

Also What does Strike mean?

Thank you

AFAIK Stack can be joined from any direction, but in the way in which the arrows show. (Imagine putting arrows all along the entire circle)

Spin pattern is the pink circle and is only flown in case of a full pattern, I.e if two planes are in front of the ship and heading for the abeam the pattern is full.

I have not found a clear definition for Strike, but i would guess Strike helps Red Crown with protecting airspace and doing IFF Checks.